Cut a little ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmboss45

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Cut 5 nice ash down and dragged them out to split and haul yesterday, turned in to 4 good size loads and a FULL woodshed! All I need is a load for the front porch and a load for the back door and I am done with this years wood. Got 35 green tops to get cut up this winter to keep me out of trouble though, red oak, cherry, and hard maple. Still have a couple of ash in that woods to get before they go bad too.

Kinda late to be putting up this winter's wood, no?

(I know it would be for my "EPA" stove. It likes DRY wood.)

Not when the EAB has been there. Everything I cut has been dead for some time. I have started to find some of it is gone to punk. What I cut in the last few weeks most likely won't get burned this year anyway, one side of the shed was already full. I have a couple of good dry ones to split for the porch.

We cut 3 dead Ash trees yesterday you'll be sick to know most was chipped and he rest was put in a tub grinder for mulch.

Good on ya! I moved the first batch of wood from the season pile onto the porch caddies today ... mostly Hickory but some good Ash too. I keep a face cord on the porch and replenish it from the main stash over the course of the winter. Haven't started our burn season yet but we're ready and have been since last year. I stay about 2 years ahead w/o a lot of fretting and already have seasoned hardwood to backfill what I pulled from the main stash.

That is some pretty tall corn.

We cut 3 dead Ash trees yesterday you'll be sick to know most was chipped and he rest was put in a tub grinder for mulch.

Ya, I am starting to find more of it gone past being any good. Cut one behind that pile of red oak against the woods in one of the pics, was almost all waste. Still, I am finding a lot of them still good and dry, I would bet that next year will be it though.

Ya, I am starting to find more of it gone past being any good. Cut one behind that pile of red oak against the woods in one of the pics, was almost all waste. Still, I am finding a lot of them still good and dry, I would bet that next year will be it though.

This was all good wood, but our company don't do firewood so it all gets chipped and turned to mulch they make more $ off the mulch then they would firewood.

Not when the EAB has been there. Everything I cut has been dead for some time. I have started to find some of it is gone to punk. What I cut in the last few weeks most likely won't get burned this year anyway, one side of the shed was already full. I have a couple of good dry ones to split for the porch.

and along that line..ive told some folks around here,,id cut the tree down,,when I seen the first sign of death..they said no. three years later,,the tree fell over,,and was TOTALLLY punked out!!! some years back ( younger then!!) seems as trees could stand for years dead,,and never punk. NOT NO MO!!! and I mean ANY tree. yet ive cut some not so good, split them up,throwing the punk away,stacked,and never rotted any more. go figure........

Latest posts

Back