Cutting a Tree That Will Lodge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oli

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have to cut a 100 ft. pine with a base of approx. 16". There are other similar pine trees around it and the tree I will be cutting will most likely lodge against one of them when it falls. I want to try and pull the tree off it's stump after it falls to get it to come down the rest of the way. Is there any special cutting technique I could use to facilitate this process. I want to minimize the possibility of any hinge wood that would keep the tree connected to the stump, and prevent it from being winched off the stump. Thank-you in advance.

I have to cut a 100 ft. pine with a base of approx. 16". There are other similar pine trees around it and the tree I will be cutting will most likely lodge against one of them when it falls. I want to try and pull the tree off it's stump after it falls to get it to come down the rest of the way. Is there any special cutting technique I could use to facilitate this process. I want to minimize the possibility of any hinge wood that would keep the tree connected to the stump, and prevent it from being winched off the stump. Thank-you in advance.

cut a nice big open face box so the tree has more space to fall time to break the hinge like a jump cut.
or rent a bucket truck:msp_tongue:

Cutting a Lodged Tree - YouTube

he was a little over zealous i think cutting that little tree down, you do want a clear work area and escape routes, be sure you cut stumps low enough you dont trip over them
i dont usually use backstraps or wedges in cases like this, nor not always the notch, sometimes just an undercut produces a more desired result
the notch and hinge make it much less likely youll bind your saw
but this is a good video showing the very basics of it
be aware if its not leaning as much as that one is and you take a chunk from the bottom the butt may swing in far enough to send the top falling in your direction
i have tied a rope above where i intend to cut, left a strong hinge and pulled it from a safe distance at times as well

Cutting a Lodged Tree - YouTube

he was a little over zealous i think cutting that little tree down, you do want a clear work area and escape routes, be sure you cut stumps low enough you dont trip over them
i dont usually use backstraps or wedges in cases like this, nor not always the notch, sometimes just an undercut produces a more desired result
the notch and hinge make it much less likely youll bind your saw
but this is a good video showing the very basics of it
be aware if its not leaning as much as that one is and you take a chunk from the bottom the butt may swing in far enough to send the top falling in your direction
i have tied a rope above where i intend to cut, left a strong hinge and pulled it from a safe distance at times as well

:tire:
hes asking how to cut a lodged tree so the hinge breaks not a safety lesson.

:tire:
hes asking how to cut a lodged tree so the hinge breaks not a safety lesson.

hes cutting a 100' pine he fully expects to hang up in other trees, if its doesnt, awesome, if it does, he needs to get it out, safely and preferably, id think, without cutting more trees down, so the information i provided seemed prudent
the beautiful thing about trees is no 2 are identical, one of the things i love about this job is its always different
there is no, one, sure fire, fix all, way to do it
jackass

one sure way to be sure your butt comes off the stump is a humbolt notch and a slopping back cut, align your back cut at a same or greater angle then your notch and slightly above, 1/4" or so
this isnt something you should do without a lot of confidence in your ability

one sure way to be sure your butt comes off the stump is a humbolt notch and a slopping back cut, align your back cut at a same or greater angle then your notch and slightly above, 1/4" or so

Humboldt notch will do well, but I don't like the physics of the sloping or angled back cut. Except for old timers, it's pretty much frowned upon these days.

You got the humboldt part right, but the rest is a steaming pile of pig ####!

I'm confident in my ability to say that you shouldn't be giving people advice, you're gonn get somebody hurt

i think you should trade in your computer for the tree climbers guide or at least jump to the homeowner forum and be asking the questions

Because you have to ask, you probably should not partake. . Though basic common sense says that an acute face will break the hold wood earlier than an obtuse. I hope I did not just blow your mind:msp_confused:

In the words of R.D. Mercer...

"Is you the feller that told me to slope my backcut down to mah face cut? Well hot damn I do tell ya when I done it, that damn fool thing hopped up off the stump, waggled its naughties at me, and 'pro-seeded' to crush my 'bee-loved' pickup truck. Now you're the one that's gonna pay for yer dumb reccomendashions or you're gonna get yer ass whooped! And it ain't funny. By god!"

Latest posts

Back