Cutting a Tree That Will Lodge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am willing to concede perhaps i should not have recommended this method to a homeowner, who likely lacks the necessary experience to know if this is safe or the best approach for his tree
but if the man intends to cut a tree down, is aware it will hang up in a second tree and wants to be sure the butt comes free, in a controlled direction after the tree hangs up. i just offered an option i know works because i occasionally do it that way
it puts the butt on the ground, in front of the stump and ensures the saw doesnt bind
but i will concede i lack all the necessary information to say, "do it this way"
i use so many different cuts in the course of a day, each one intended to bring the limb, or tree down in a controlled fashion, meant to control the way it falls and if possible, the way it lands
you guys can do things the way you do them, im not here to question methods, and i resent you questioning mine
i dont talk out of my ass, i dont say things work unless they are tried and true for me
you lay a tree over the way i described, one of two things is going to happen, its going to remain propped up in the other tree, butt dug into the ground, or its going to fall, the way its leaning, either rolling out of or sliding off, the tree it landed in
and given the information provided, 16" (easy enough to be sure of) and 100' (almost certainly a much lower number) and many other trees near by (making me infer tall poles not thick full cone shaped pines) ill bet on the latter
i will also concede a sloping back cut is almost never correct and for my way to work your cuts better be perfect and the tree needs to stop falling before it reaches 30 degrees or so

Not seein it;) byyee!

i am willing to concede perhaps i should not have recommended this method to a homeowner, who likely lacks the necessary experience to know if this is safe or the best approach for his tree
but if the man intends to cut a tree down, is aware it will hang up in a second tree and wants to be sure the butt comes free, in a controlled direction after the tree hangs up. i just offered an option i know works because i occasionally do it that way
it puts the butt on the ground, in front of the stump and ensures the saw doesnt bind
but i will concede i lack all the necessary information to say, "do it this way"
i use so many different cuts in the course of a day, each one intended to bring the limb, or tree down in a controlled fashion, meant to control the way it falls and if possible, the way it lands
you guys can do things the way you do them, im not here to question methods, and i resent you questioning mine
i dont talk out of my ass, i dont say things work unless they are tried and true for me
you lay a tree over the way i described, one of two things is going to happen, its going to remain propped up in the other tree, butt dug into the ground, or its going to fall, the way its leaning, either rolling out of or sliding off, the tree it landed in
and given the information provided, 16" (easy enough to be sure of) and 100' (almost certainly a much lower number) and many other trees near by (making me infer tall poles not thick full cone shaped pines) ill bet on the latter
i will also concede a sloping back cut is almost never correct and for my way to work your cuts better be perfect and the tree needs to stop falling before it reaches 30 degrees or so

holy cow, 30 degrees? by the time it reaches 60 degrees the chances of getting hung up are a fair bit lower. I was thinking more like 10 or so degrees to work with before the tree lodged. :laugh:

and youre a jackass
ive removed thousands of trees, my safety record is impeccable, i know what works and what doesnt
more then that, i know why it works or why it wont
a humbolt notch and a sloping back cut will allow you lay one tree into another, softly, then safely piece it out doing little or no damage to the second tree, there are a lot of variables, thats why theres more then one way to go about things
in typing this, ive changed my mind
youre an idiot and a jackass

LMAO!!!!

There is only one other member that plugs that farmer cut, you and HBRN should rent a cottage in VT and live happily forever.

all the bashing and flaming of me not one of you offered any real advise to the homeowner asking for help
good work guys

It's difficult to tell someone how to cut a tree over the internet, having not seen the tree or the saw operators skill level.

I can say that if the OP's tree had enough head lean to potentially barberchair the tree, your bad ace sloping back cut will clamp down on that saw like a mother####er. now he has a tree that has exploded and it has his saw too. now just how fast can he take that clutch cover off? Is he dogged in? Too late, the tree ate him and his saw. See I can play out your scenario from my home here in Oregon, and I did not even get into how your cut actually works. Even if there was no head lean, a good wind gust can do the same thing. For the butt to even think about coming off the stump you need to break the holding wood. Does that happen before you get lodged up or do you saw the hinge and likely hurt yourself and your saw yet again? Sounds like you are still just rolling a tree, no need for fancy sloping back cuts there, the damn butt rolls off the stump if you do it right, and it is not very hard. I would ask if you have some kind of kirf or shelf in your face to pop the hinge, but I don't think there is a need LOL.

The man that you are insulting has more mbf in ONE tree than your "thousands" I would bet my paycheck on that. . .

Why are farmer loggers from the mid west so ####### cocky?

easy there kid, i'm a midwestern boy and i am not so cocky! i'm not condoning anyones tactics but there is more than one way to skin a cat (or fall a tree) i would tend to agree that i wouldnt choose a sloping back cut. regardless i'm not cocky...... did i say i'm not cocky???:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

in hindsight to all this arguing, i should have just told the guy to hook a chain from the tree to his 1/2 ton 2wd chevy, have his buddy drive and when he cuts it 3/4 of the way thru yell at his buddy to give r hell..... just a thought....

Not farmer logger again! Randymac, 056 you should know better than that. That sets up another brawl.

Farmer loggers are not all from the east. We have some around here too. I've seen "the look" and the spit as an equipment guy looked at the loggers he was there to help, and then he muttered,
"They look like Farmer Loggers to me." Amazingly enough, another crew working nearby called them Farmer loggers too. Farmer loggers generally wear their pants tucked into their rubber boots. Except a couple of hooktenders do that in the winter and I or anybody else wouldn't dare call them Farmer Loggers.

It isn't a compliment. But don't start hitting each other...yet.

If you guys can't decide what to do we could always get HBRN over here. He'll advise a slopping back cut and he and T the T-Man can go skipping off through the woods, hand in hand, gazing adoringly at each other, and singing the lumberjack song from Monty Python.

Don't you have some slugs to salt?

I do not salt them. I grab "The Garden Shears" and snip.

My friend uses scissors, and puts them back in the drawer. In the house. That's a really yucky thing to do.
People don't know, grab the scissors and cut food or something. Slug guts on food. Feel like dinner now?:D

Back