Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

cutting broken tree leaning onto other tree

Discussion in 'Arborist 101' started by Ekkah, Sep 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ekkah

Ekkah New Member

Hi all,

New member on your forum, and quite new in the business of cutting down trees.
    After some searching I could not find answer to my question, hence trying to post it here:

I got some experience in taking down windblown trees, but only where the tree has either broken mid-stem and crown touch the ground or where root plate is loose and tree leans onto other healthy tree.

However, I'm now facing my first - "tree broken mid-sten, and crown leans onto other healthy tree"
    image.png
    I have not yet seen the actual tree (or any photo) but perhaps there are some generic technics to use.
    At least, I know it's best to NOT cut down the supporting tree B and try to avoid working straight under the top stem.

Initial idea is to throw a rope on top-stem and simply try to pull it down. Also, tie a rope on A-stem in order to eventually be able to pull it down after possibly preparing a hinge on A-stem

2. old CB

old CB ArboristSite Operative

Without seeing the actual tree(s), we can only suggest . . .

But yes, get a rope onto the upper part of tree A. You can try to pull it, but more than likely you'll have to sever tree A at the base. I would likely find an anchor to one side--in other words at a 90 degree angle to a line thru A & B. Attach a come-along to the anchor and tension your rope pretty good. Then fall tree A in that 90 degree direction. Before making cuts in A, have your escape route clear, and be wide awake at every stage and ready to go quickly.

You might even pull the top of A loose from B, and then fell A. Never know on these things. But it's one step at at a time.

Ekkah likes this.
  3. Ekkah

Ekkah New Member

Thanks! Good idea to minimize the possible felling directions with the rope/come-along.
    Since I'm most afraid of the upper part of A, perhaps even try to route my rope-attached-to-upper-A via a higher point in B, just need to practice that throw rope a bit...

4. Mustang71

Mustang71 Addicted to ArboristSite

I like the drawing but I'm not sure how big we are talking. If it's not to big I would throw the rope around it and pull it with an ATV. If its bigger then a come a long but make sure to get out of the way when it goes. If that doesn't work then do what is above it sounds like a good plan.

5. Ekkah

Ekkah New Member

Hi again,

Just to finish up the thread;
    Got the tree down safely yesterday. Did not get any good pictures but roughly the situation was:
    A was broken just below half height, B was more a bunch of smaller trees.
    ab.png
    Initially pulled down A's crown to the ground using rope and come-along
    Release some of the strain in A's branches.
    Not possible to twist/rotate upper A stem of the hinge but could be pulled loose with come-along.