Cutting/Splitting for a Children's Camp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it all done by 1:45. The main pile is in this pic and we also split smaller piles at 3 other spots on the property. Only a couple cords but the solid pieces of elm, ash, maple, oak, and cherry fought us all the way. It’s a relief to have all of this done as this pile has been more or less the same size for about 4 years.

The first two pics are all of the trash left over that’s going to be burned.
7384EC8B-41B1-4C53-8042-E8A7F9EB869E.jpeg

29DDEA5C-B530-47F2-8D89-3F7C13A3FB39.jpeg

41A65166-41B9-42EC-A27A-06995C2B1470.jpeg

@MustangMike remember that last large sugar maple you dropped when you helped me cut, the one up by the teepee that was full of nails? That was the last tree on the list to split but when I started bucking it yesterday it was already punky. I guess it was three years ago when you cut it and it was already standing dead then so not a surprise that it was punky. Oh well, at least we can just roll it down the hill into the ditch. It was well over 20” diameter so would have been a pain to split those rounds anyhow.

Back at it again. Much prefer the 75 degree temps today!!!

As it ended up the big maple log was only punky on the butt so we turned the rest into rounds to be used as campfire stools and I noodled/split the couple of crotch pieces.

The log was about 25’ long along the bare area on the hillside.
6401D309-4FE1-429E-B8AF-0A062D858D26.jpeg

This little guy has done much more than what is expected out of a 35 cc saw! Soon to have a donated big brother though.
78D1B858-0637-4369-988F-B0F426AF51CF.jpeg

May make a cutting board out of this slice.
2C0E4453-15D4-486C-AE20-7F970D233BB4.jpeg

Well this huge project has concluded. Here’s a pic from last Saturday and this evening for comparison.

I figured we split about three cords and burned another 5 cords of punky wood. Lots of time untangling the mess and raking leaves/splitter trash.

051AD18C-A47B-4B52-A6D1-DD9C271F8DF9.jpeg 19DB4A8B-35FC-4443-9D2F-9E4F6F664DDC.jpeg

I made a list of another two dozen trees that need to be dropped the next time I’m up. Luckily most of them are smaller and only two over 20”.

Doesn't sound like any fun at all!!!

Steve, you did so much great work for them, you should demand they pay you double next year!!!

Did they even buy you lunch???

No fun? I don't know. I'm happy ambling around doing stuff (for non-commercial operations), as long as it's appreciated. Splitting stuff, cutting stuff, raking stuff and burning stuff is all ok. As long as it's appreciated. Lunch, half a dozen beers and a thank-you and it's worthwhile.

As soon as I sense it is taken for granted, it's over. You've put in some hard yards there, Steve.

Doesn't sound like any fun at all!!!

Steve, you did so much great work for them, you should demand they pay you double next year!!!

Did they even buy you lunch???
He did offer to take me to the diner but I already had my heart set on Five Guys.

We use the cabins several nights a year, rent free. A good trade off IMO

No fun? I don't know. I'm happy ambling around doing stuff (for non-commercial operations), as long as it's appreciated. Splitting stuff, cutting stuff, raking stuff and burning stuff is all ok. As long as it's appreciated. Lunch, half a dozen beers and a thank-you and it's worthwhile.

As soon as I sense it is taken for granted, it's over. You've put in some hard yards there, Steve.
I love putzing around like this. It a bit frustrating when others inadvertently make the project more difficult by dumping other stuff on the log pile but it comes with the territory. Now that the log pile is completely gone, that area will no longer be a “catch all” for junk. You’d laugh if I listed all of the stuff I discovered in that pile besides wood.

When I started volunteering up here 5 years ago the dead tree situation was a nightmare. Dangerous dead trees everywhere around the road and cabins as there was nobody around who knew anything about running a saw. We’ve taken our well over 100 trees so now it’s just a matter of taking trees down as they die.

Didn’t plan to work today but when we went for a walk on the hiking trails I did notice a cherry fallen across the trail as well as a jack pine snag that was precariously leaning over the trail. Took the Jersey pattern axe (which has been featured a couple times in the axe thread) up there right before dark and made short work of the offending logs.

This will more or less be the end of my progress posts until February unless I’m able to do some cutting when I get out this way later this summer.

I love putzing around like this. It a bit frustrating when others inadvertently make the project more difficult by dumping other stuff on the log pile but it comes with the territory. Now that the log pile is completely gone, that area will no longer be a “catch all” for junk. You’d laugh if I listed all of the stuff I discovered in that pile besides wood.

Cleaned up a spot here at the shop.
Moved about 35000lbs of metal beams, square tubing, etc. Found everything from car batteries to the "Best Christmas hits of 87" cassette.

Back