Cutting to right side

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydestone

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m cutting some large oak rounds with an MS290 with 18” bar. The stem is 34” at widest part, so I need to cut from both sides. I noticed the cut is going towards the right.

Is that because my bar needs trueing? Or did I somehow sharpen my chain unevenly?

If a bar issue...I’ve never trued a bar before. Easy enough to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a new chain and try it, or get yours done at a sharping service with good Equipment and then try it.

IME, when the saw starts cutting in a curve, the chain is getting dull. Dunno why chains seem to get dull on one side more than the other, but that's what seems to happen.

If it is not the chain filing pushing you that direction....., it could be you. Meaning how you hold and twist the saw could be pushing it that direction.

I find most times it is me. Some saw handle configurations are more prone to this than others for me. If you do it long enough the bar rails will wear internally which promotes a curving cut. I have several bars that you can lean the chain in one direction and not at all in the other.

Ron

Could also be bar+chain - drive links too much play in groove, uneven rail height, chain sharpening angle left/right uneven, cutter length left/right different, etc. etc.
Often very difficult to rectify without trying out replacements...

If it is not the chain filing pushing you that direction....., it could be you. Meaning how you hold and twist the saw could be pushing it that direction.

You beat me to it. Any saw will drift if you hold it wrong. You can steer it as you cut depending on how you hold the saw.

PV is correct on this. I have cut thousands of cords of wood and have never messed with a bar except put 058 in place of 050 and 063 in place of 058. When all is going good I have to remember to steer the bar where it needs to go. When I find a chain that will not go straight I stop and sharpen the dull side and it straightens right out. Thanks

When I got my 461 (used) the previous owner said he was left handed so he didn’t sharpen very even and it cut a little crooked. Boy it sure did. Had the chain sharpened at the dealer with the automatic machine, haven’t had a problem since and I’ve hand filed it many times since.

First guess rackers need filed
Second guess cutters are much shorter in one side than the other.

either way try a new chain or get it professional sharpened and see how it does

Best idea is to put up a photo of the chain showing cutters from both sides of the chain in focus........
Willing to bet one side is either dull, or unbalanced in the filing- very easy to do and at one time or another I bet we have all been guilty of it.
When I first started running powersaws for myself I was pretty crap at freehand filing, so I used to make do until the saw started pulling to one direction- swap out the chain for another and take the side pulling chain to the dealers to be ground.
Cost a lot both in money and chain tooth filings on the dealers bench- so eventually I just had to learn to be better with a file.

Latest posts

Back