ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Cutting trees off of houses

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by cjnspecial, Aug 31, 2008.

1. cjnspecial

cjnspecial ArboristSite Guru

We've got a hurricane coming our way and it looks like my part of the country is going to get hit pretty good. The most common situation other than pine tree's snapping off is oak trees uprooting and leaning over on the roof. What methods do you guys use to get trees off of houses if no crane is available(they will be few and far between for a while)? ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
    I read another thread(below) about undercutting the tree by the rootball every 3 inches until the rootball is on the ground but there was no mention about how far to undercut into the tree...15% 20%??

2. Tzed250

Tzed250 Addicted to ArboristSite

Unless your life or someone else's is threatened, leave it to a proffesional. I did 13 days of storm cleanup in Sept. 1996 in Wake County (Raleigh) NC after Hurricane Fran, and it was some of the most dangerous work I had done to date. I owned a tree service at the time and it was hard work sun-up to sundown. I was licensed and insured so if anything happened it was covered. The hospitals in the area were full of people who had tried to use chainsaws in ways beyond their capabilities. Unless you have dealt with it, you have no idea about the stored energy in a hung tree. That is my advice.

3. OLY-JIM

OLY-JIM ArboristSite Guru

Sound advice. Take heed.

Tzed250 likes this.
  4. 046

046 God of ArboristSite

have done a ton of storm damage take downs... forces involved are very_dangerous!

half fallen tree trunks crossed every which way can be life threatening.
    don't even think about taking them down... unless you are dead sure which way tension will release :chainsaw:

a pole saw like a Stihl extendible pole saw (HT 75) can be a life saver. pole saws allows the release of tension from a safer distance.

sometimes no matter what you do... how carefully release is analyzed... tree trunk can spring a different direction... a pro can see it coming and get the hell out of the way!

5. Gologit

Gologit Completely retired...life is good.

Well said. Especially the part about the stored enegy in a blowdown. I've seen tangles of blowdown just explode in every direction. You might make one little cut, the tree will snap, hit other trees...it gets ugly real fast. There's nowhere to run, no safe place to be.

6. Wood Doctor

Wood Doctor Edwin

Without a cherry picker (bucket loader) you are toast. Once on the ground, volunteer to help remove. Listen to Oily-Jim, et al.

7. Former Saw Builder

Former Saw Builder ArboristSite Guru

+1... If you never listen to anything else this is one time to pay attention.

pinemartin likes this.
  8. COLD_IRON

COLD_IRON Addicted to ArboristSite

OP: Are you evacuating or riding out the storm?

I would only cut storm damaged stuff if I felt confident cutting it, or if someone was in immediate danger. If I had any doubt I would leave it alone for the time being.

9. Lakeside53

Lakeside53 Stihl Wrenching

+1.. to everyone saying "careful"...

We had 6 houses hit by trees in our community in the last storm.. not to be trifled with.

If you want to help, there will be plenty of "not on houses" work..

10. cjnspecial

We're riding it out. Very, very little chance of flooding where I'm at, 100+mph winds are expected though. Also, there are tons of standing dead pines everywhere left over from katrina so well probably be clearing trees out of the roadways first. I'll probably cut what I'm certain I can be safe with with the equpment I've got. I helped cut a couple off houses after katrina but most were not sprung. Rains hitting pretty hard right now so I'm heading out. Thanks for the advice :popcorn:

11. Tzed250

Tzed250 Addicted to ArboristSite

Take care...

12. COLD_IRON

COLD_IRON Addicted to ArboristSite

Hope to hear back from ya, be safe!

13. teacherman

teacherman Sawturated

Ya mon, good luck to you! Prayers sent! Be safe!

14. tomtrees58

tomtrees58 Addicted to ArboristSite

man you are not a tree man tom trees

15. cjnspecial

Trees are down everywhere, on houses, roads, driveways......it looks like a friggin hurricane hit or something, lol.

We have a brief break from the strong winds and wanted to post a pic of my back yard. You can see a 4.5 ft diameter oak tree fell over on my neighbors fence and snapped about three other trees clean off on the way down. I don't think there is a single pine tree with a top in it either, you can't see upwards real well but there are 5 pines in that pic that split or the tops broke out. If you have a tree service, now would be a good time to pack your bags and take a road trip.

Gotta run, running computer off my car battery/inverter and the strongest winds are yet to come.

[​IMG]

16. wdanforth

wdanforth ArboristSite Operative

Play it safe down there.

Hope you are OK. Next time you plug the "car computer" in send us an update.
    :camera: are always appreciated.