Cylinder, Hose Nipple, how to install/replace ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bitburger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

a happy and healthy 2021 to all of you.
Used the quiet days to dig out and re-inspect a few things and found a "surprise" on my Dolmar 166-Cylinder, that I missed for many years, until now!

I might have a chance to perform a back and forth- "transplant" with another saw, however, does anybody know how the "hose nipple" is installed/exchanged ?
And how the original part actually looks like ? Guess that it is just a cylindrical fitting and the dealer just "hammered" it in, when he installed a new cylinder ?

The 166 is just the current example, I think they are more saw types out there, where the crankcase pressure is led through a hose ?

Best Chris

Sans titre 2.jpg

Dear all,

Used the quiet days to dig out and re-inspect a few things and found a "surprise" on my Dolmar 166-Cylinder, that I missed for many years, until now!

I might have a chance to perform a back and forth- "transplant" with another saw, however, does anybody know how the "hose nipple" is installed/exchanged ?
And how the original part actually looks like ? Guess that it is just a cylindrical fitting and the dealer just "hammered" it in, when he installed a new cylinder ?

The 166 is just the current example, I think they are more saw types out there, where the crankcase pressure is led through a hose ?

Best Chris

View attachment 881199
I'm not familiar with Dolmar saws but others that I have worked on were pressed in. If it needs to be removed you could cut it off flush with the flange edge and then drill out the remainder and install the new one with a coating of locktite on the insert end. What I am familiar with is Bitburger beer and the Bitburg Hotel even the Bitburger Brewery, having spent 3 years at Spanghdalem. Good luck with your saw.
DSCN0127.JPG

Bitburger beer is my favorite beer. I've spent quite a bit of time working in Germany and found the Bitburger to be one of the best of the European beers.

Dear all,

Best Chris

View attachment 881199
The fitting comes with the cylinder from the factory, its not meant to be removed and switched over when another cylinder is a replacement. They are a tight press fit.

that would be quite an issue. However, the cylinders were shipped without that pin, described separately within the IPL.
This is why I hope to find an alternative.
Does anyone knows the dimensions from that pin ?
And from the piston bolt as well ?

all the best

Chris

have you tried using a metric drill bit to measure the hole? a roll pin punch would work to install but I would consider boiling/baking the cylinder to ease instal and as mentioned use highheat rated loktite

I will measure the hole. Heating/shrinking is a good idea. Currently, I cannot even find suitable nipples. They need to be quite short, however, with a tubular end on one side.
Strange. As they were used in many carbs, cylinders and so on, I cannot believe that they were so special.

As one part of the experiment includes a working Dolmar 166-cylinder (however, without nipple), I must not mess it up.

@djones: thanks for showing the lovely picture. Yes, it is one of the most common beers in west germany,
also one of the "big brands" with lots of money and advertisement. Was chosen as a nickname to get
registered in my first internet-discussion board about 20 years ago...and just kept

Back