• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Cylinder retorque ?

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
After your rebuild is done, and she has a few hours on it does anyone retorque the cylinder? On the two stroke bikes we retorque the cylinders after a few starts and letting them heat up? The cylinder base gasket could leak if the torque isn’t where it should be. This retorque makes sense to me. Why did my am cylinder kit fail? I’m thinking pre lube and air leak down test wasn’t done and a retorque.

On car engines I went 10# past the torque specs and it was close to spec during the retorque check.

Andyshine77

Andyshine77

Tree Freak
I like to check after a run or two, Stihl used to recommend this in the owners manual of their pro saws. If I use Hondabond I don't bother checking, it holds things tight as a drum.

Matt93eg

Matt93eg

ArboristSite Operative
If I have the top cover off my saws that are not a clamshell cleaning and what not I will check them while the cover is off. Never know even if it’s not a recent rebuild when a bolt could start coming loose. Probably not likely but only takes couple seconds to check them.

Brent Nowell

Brent Nowell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Could depend on the gasket used for the cylinder, some may shrink slightly when they have gone through a few heat cycles?

Snelling says he never does, he probably does a lot of rebuilds, so probably a non issue.
Brad what do you torque the head bolts to?

burnses

burnses

ArboristSite Guru
I ck the muffler on a husky more often than other saws. after a build and some hard running ill put a t handle on the cylinder bolts. I don't think I have ever used a torque wrench on a saw cylinder....I did recently have to drill the allen heads off a jonsereds 450 cylinder bolts to get the cylinder off that was a first....not sure what I did to the font....

the can

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Maybe some don’t torque the cylinder in the beginning?

I just took apart a 162 SE and the case bolts were snug not tight like they should be.

SEAM

Addicted to ArboristSite
I believe gasket material will shrink as it gets brittle. I had a few Dolmars (133) and also a 5-year old Husqvarna (550XP) with pieces of broken gasket sticking out between the oil tank fitting surfaces... Might have been the oil they used, though.

farmguywithasaw

farmguywithasaw

ArboristSite Operative
Torqued the head on a cat 9.3 acert engine in school 150 ftlbs + 90 degrees. Once finished back them off and redo there was a lot of head bolts too worked up a sweat