Cylinder retorque ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After your rebuild is done, and she has a few hours on it does anyone retorque the cylinder? On the two stroke bikes we retorque the cylinders after a few starts and letting them heat up? The cylinder base gasket could leak if the torque isn’t where it should be. This retorque makes sense to me. Why did my am cylinder kit fail? I’m thinking pre lube and air leak down test wasn’t done and a retorque.

On car engines I went 10# past the torque specs and it was close to spec during the retorque check.

Could depend on the gasket used for the cylinder, some may shrink slightly when they have gone through a few heat cycles?

Snelling says he never does, he probably does a lot of rebuilds, so probably a non issue.
Brad what do you torque the head bolts to?

I ck the muffler on a husky more often than other saws. after a build and some hard running ill put a t handle on the cylinder bolts. I don't think I have ever used a torque wrench on a saw cylinder....I did recently have to drill the allen heads off a jonsereds 450 cylinder bolts to get the cylinder off that was a first....not sure what I did to the font....

the can

Use blue loctite on case, cylinder, oil pump and muffler bolts. Let it set up and forget it.

Maybe some don’t torque the cylinder in the beginning?

I just took apart a 162 SE and the case bolts were snug not tight like they should be.

I believe gasket material will shrink as it gets brittle. I had a few Dolmars (133) and also a 5-year old Husqvarna (550XP) with pieces of broken gasket sticking out between the oil tank fitting surfaces... Might have been the oil they used, though.

Latest posts

Back