Dad is happy, Mom isn't thou.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck, I am 61 and gradually accumulating more equipment***. Thinking about opening a part time saw shop, plus getting into firewood sales and sawlogs. With me doing the work. What the heck, sit around and rot?? Gotta keep moving!

Fuel oil??? Cooties!! Diesel is for trucks and equipment!

Anyway, real nice score! Why was the wood being chucked out, looks good. Just leftover from logging or yard trees?

***well, if my first on purpose wood truck counts as equipment..took it out on the road today all the way to the truck stop to fill it up, first time! Driven it around the farm before, just a little, but today was a real road trip, well, about ten miles..heh. Got enough stuff fixed on it finally this afternoon for a spin, big fun! Still got more to do, but roadable now. Working on a hoss trade right now as well for a dual axle trailer. Doing this all on the ultra cheap.

My folks are in their 60's and mom has money budgeted to spend on oil. She likes the heat but thinks dad should just be sitting around instead of messing with wood. My dad is a worker. If he had 1000 cords he's be cutting up pallets too. Why, I don't know. At least this stuff is nice and manageable.

Sounds like my wife "we have enough wood". Had I quit when I first heard it, I would have been burning oil for the past 35 years.

Harry K

I can relate to the OP a little, Not sure how much time his Dad spends at cutting firewood, but sounds like a lot. My wife sometimes refers to her self jokingly(or not) as the wood widow. I must admit it is more than just getting enough wood for ourselves, I tend to jump at any chance to go out and cut wood and all the associated necessities of cleaning, sharpening saws and ancillary equipment used. Might even dream of someone dropping off a nice load of hardwood in my driveway like the OP's Dad. What a sweet dream that would be. :) Women.... they just don't understand us.

Ah women!

They should have bucked split and stacked it.

Out of sight of course..............................:msp_biggrin:

The treeman was cleaning up a wealthy family's woods right near my folks. These were blow overs from our last wind storm. You know you have money when you manicure your woods. Everyone is choked with wood so it was faster to drop it at dads. I am sure all the prime stuff went to the mill but dad sure doesn't mind wood a little bent

Nice score!

"Women can't live with'm - pass the beer nuts" :msp_thumbup:

Lucky for me my gal grew up working in the woods with her dad, brother and uncles. She like to help out, pretty good at running the splitter as I feed her. Her chair is closest to the stove too.

Bub

It's a mix of wood. I just fixed a friends skid steer so I got dad a free cord of split wood delivered. Now he is ok for the rest of this year and next

Connecticut? Ouch. Your part of the country has had some tough weather this year. I hope the snow storm doesn't hit you too bad tomorrow. It might take more trees. It is more firewood but also more pain for many people.

Very nice! I had a neighbor build a house by me. Dropped off 3 loads on a dump trailer (16') in my yard. Nothing better than coming home to a nice load of logs.:rock:

Mercy......just what does it take to make mama happy. Another child? :msp_mellow: Or at least a grand baby. :msp_smile:

Well the big truck showed up again this am. Thank god mom was at work. I will Try to get pics before it snows.

My dad is 63, and if it weren't for his wrist he could out split me, at 30. Even with his 'bad' wrist he can almost out split me. His aim is much better than mine too :)

My mom is happy with it, cause she likes being warm, she likes my dad to be happy, but most of all I think she likes him being out of the house! :laugh:

Nice score! For sure if it's free!

My mum usually isn't happy either when I get the call that wood is on its way. That changes when the truck driver starts the crane and stacks them all nicely in front of the lawn! Nothing wrong with a nice load of wood, enjoy it!

Good for you guys. I'm sure you'll help your Dad with it. Free heat means more in the shopping budget for Mom. That should make her Happy, Happy, Happy.

My wife has a bad neck so only place I can get her to work my wood is at home:hmm3grin2orange::rock:

Back