Damaged Cedar Elm Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doskiez

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a cedar elm (I believe) right next to my metal shop building probably 4-5 feet away. It is also within striking distance of my house which is not in the pictures. It has, what appears to be, an old injury that is 4 ft tall approx 10in deep into the middle of the tree. The tree is about 20in in diameter at the base. The interior of the wood is dead and brittle and I do see ants and evidence of bug activity as well. The tree itself is still growing and green. If it was not near the buildings I would just leave it alone. I am looking for opinions on a course of action to take since it has me worried. I have had trees of this same species with similar injuries snap at the injury and fall randomly and I am worried this one has the same potential. My thought is just remove it completely for safety reasons. The other options I would guess would be weight reduction pruning in the canopy or just leave it be as long as it is still green and growing. Any help or advice is welcome. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20200117_123913.jpg
    20200117_123913.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200117_124023.jpg
    20200117_124023.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
I have a cedar elm (I believe) right next to my metal shop building probably 4-5 feet away. It is also within striking distance of my house which is not in the pictures. It has, what appears to be, an old injury that is 4 ft tall approx 10in deep into the middle of the tree. The tree is about 20in in diameter at the base. The interior of the wood is dead and brittle and I do see ants and evidence of bug activity as well. The tree itself is still growing and green. If it was not near the buildings I would just leave it alone. I am looking for opinions on a course of action to take since it has me worried. I have had trees of this same species with similar injuries snap at the injury and fall randomly and I am worried this one has the same potential. My thought is just remove it completely for safety reasons. The other options I would guess would be weight reduction pruning in the canopy or just leave it be as long as it is still green and growing. Any help or advice is welcome. Thanks in advance
I'm not an expert, but I think you just answered your own question...
"I have had trees of this same species with similar injuries snap at the injury and fall randomly and I am worried this one has the same potential. "

I'm not an expert, but I think you just answered your own question...
"I have had trees of this same species with similar injuries snap at the injury and fall randomly and I am worried this one has the same potential. "
I am pretty sure I will end up removing it, I was just hoping to validate my thoughts and justification on why. I dont like to cut trees down without a reason as much as I enjoy the actual process. Thanks for your input

I am pretty sure I will end up removing it, I was just hoping to validate my thoughts and justification on why. I dont like to cut trees down without a reason as much as I enjoy the actual process. Thanks for your input
I don't like cutting trees down either (notice my user name? :yes:) But, sometimes you just have to. Good luck with it.

Back