Dang it got COLD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wind gone, -5* this morning. In the last 24hrs we've have temp change of about 40*, from -10 to 25* to -5.

The weather guessers said the wind was supposed to continue until this coming Tuesday or Wednesday and be in the teens all week.
Can light a match outside right now. Yesterday it was windy enough I was waiting to see a house or at least a roof fly by.
I went to the shop last night to grab some paperwork and got stuck in my car, drifts on the farm road were 2+ ft tall.

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM PST
SUNDAY FOR THE GREATER PORTLAND AND VANCOUVER METRO AREA...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW AND ICE REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL
10 PM PST SUNDAY.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL DEVELOP LATE THIS MORNING...AND WILL CHANGE
TO SLEET OR FREEZING RAIN THIS EVENING. FREEZING RAIN WILL
CONTINUE INTO SUNDAY...EVENTUALLY CHANGING TO RAIN IN THE
WESTERN PART OF THE METRO AREA AROUND MIDDAY SUNDAY...BUT
FREEZING RAIN WILL CONTINUE INTO SUNDAY NIGHT IN THE EAST METRO
AREA.

* SNOW ACCUMULATION...GENERALLY 2 TO 4 INCHES.

* ICE ACCUMULATION...FROM AROUND A THIRD OF AN INCH OF ICE IN THE
WEST METRO AREA TO THREE QUARTERS OF AN INCH EAST OF INTERSTATE

* WINDS...TODAY EAST WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 35
MPH...EXCEPT EAST WINDS 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH IN THE
EAST METRO AREA. WINDS GRADUALLY DIMINISHING TONIGHT AND SUNDAY.

* IMPACTS...THE COMBINATION OF ICE...SNOW...AND WIND WILL
LIKELY BRING DOWN SOME TREES AND POWER LINES...LEADING TO
POWER DISRUPTIONS IN SOME AREAS. SOME AREAS MAY BE WITHOUT
POWER FOR MULTIPLE DAYS.
PUBLIC TRANSIT MAY BE IMPACTED BY
THE SNOW AND ICE...INCLUDING RAIL LINES. TRAVEL WILL BECOME
DIFFICULT AS ICE AND SNOW ARE EXPECTED TO MAKE UNTREATED
ROADS VERY SLICK.

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM PST
SUNDAY FOR THE GREATER PORTLAND AND VANCOUVER METRO AREA...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW AND ICE REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL
10 PM PST SUNDAY.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL DEVELOP LATE THIS MORNING...AND WILL CHANGE
TO SLEET OR FREEZING RAIN THIS EVENING. FREEZING RAIN WILL
CONTINUE INTO SUNDAY...EVENTUALLY CHANGING TO RAIN IN THE
WESTERN PART OF THE METRO AREA AROUND MIDDAY SUNDAY...BUT
FREEZING RAIN WILL CONTINUE INTO SUNDAY NIGHT IN THE EAST METRO
AREA.

* SNOW ACCUMULATION...GENERALLY 2 TO 4 INCHES.

* ICE ACCUMULATION...FROM AROUND A THIRD OF AN INCH OF ICE IN THE
WEST METRO AREA TO THREE QUARTERS OF AN INCH EAST OF INTERSTATE

* WINDS...TODAY EAST WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 35
MPH...EXCEPT EAST WINDS 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH IN THE
EAST METRO AREA. WINDS GRADUALLY DIMINISHING TONIGHT AND SUNDAY.

* IMPACTS...THE COMBINATION OF ICE...SNOW...AND WIND WILL
LIKELY BRING DOWN SOME TREES AND POWER LINES...LEADING TO
POWER DISRUPTIONS IN SOME AREAS. SOME AREAS MAY BE WITHOUT
POWER FOR MULTIPLE DAYS.
PUBLIC TRANSIT MAY BE IMPACTED BY
THE SNOW AND ICE...INCLUDING RAIL LINES. TRAVEL WILL BECOME
DIFFICULT AS ICE AND SNOW ARE EXPECTED TO MAKE UNTREATED
ROADS VERY SLICK.
sounds like a normal Minnesota winter storm... starting to warm above the minus line after a week of the north pole fun fest. 12 above for tomorrow and low twenties for the end of the week? don't know if I can handle these heat waves !!!! stay warm or cool as the temp's change again.

sounds like a normal Minnesota winter storm... starting to warm above the minus line after a week of the north pole fun fest. 12 above for tomorrow and low twenties for the end of the week? don't know if I can handle these heat waves !!!! stay warm or cool as the temp's change again.

I'm not crabbing about it. So what if we have a run of sub zeros and then a warm up. It's January....in Minnesota. Apparently the state with the worst winters that I read on the front page of the paper.

Which is B.S........They never interviewed the NoDakers apparently.

At least this isn't unending like a few years ago.

I'm not crabbing about it. So what if we have a run of sub zeros and then a warm up. It's January....in Minnesota. Apparently the state with the worst winters that I read on the front page of the paper.

Which is B.S........They never interviewed the NoDakers apparently.

At least this isn't unending like a few years ago.
? like the polar vortex of the winter that wouldn't go away.... fishable ice till the end of may! lol

15 below yesterday and still cold now, but who cares, wind finally dropped below 30. It's a beautiful night out. I've got a big owl that moved in and I'm hoping he gets a few rabbits. The wife wanted me to shoot some but I figured we will give the owl first chance.

I have a problem with too many cottontail rabbits here as well. I like to leave them to the owls and raptors as food, but I had to shoot the most problematic one this fall, and my cat loved me for the fresh meat. He hunts the smaller cottentails himself, and considers them a delicacy (he is 26 pounds). The large great horned owls here hunt the rabbits at night. The raptors hunt them in the day. I have falcons, hawks and golden eagles living here. I also trap the deer mice that get into my house. I catch and release them a few miles up the road, as killing them serves no purpose. Out there they become food for the wildlife. There is an endless supply of deer mice here to catch. My cat does not like eating them much. He prefers voles, which he will eat entirely except the gall bladder. I also have shrews, house mice (and house-deer mice hybrids) and moles galore. The moles have built a massive new underground housing development around here lately in this cold weather. Mole hills span for miles in all directions.

Water pipes froze yesterday around noon time. End of the 3rd Q Seahawks vs. Lions that water came back. :) I had filled 2 five gallon buckets of water for general purposes. Happy to pour it down the drain. 30+ for a couple of days, happy days.

2:45 pm here in Eastern Washington. 38 degrees!! Nice to come out of the sub-zeros. Just came in from working the wood pile. Split a pile and piled, split another pile waiting for piling, also 2 big cartloads added to the empty spot on a 1 cord rick. Was raining (still is) lightly while splitting the last batch - gloves soaked.

Took me an hour with the snowblower this morning clearing the 3-4" snow we got during the night, driveway clear and the paths to the woodshed and wood pile open again.

Yes, 34F here now and calm. I never thought that 34F could feel so... warm! After 4 days in the teens and tweens with wicked winds, this is a heat wave. Even the ice is starting to melt.

-5* here. Was -8* this morning. Good thing the skidder has sort of a heater. Good thing I was dressed warm, had to walk about a mile from where I was skidding to the landing. Somehow ran the skidder out of diesel... burned 60 gals in 2 days!

Wintry mix tomorrow morning, then sunshine. We have a strange winter -- ups and downs. Best thing about all this is that I brought in enough wood that is now dry and ready to burn. And, my firewood customer have no complaints. Two guys even doubled their orders.

Heck, I even sold a few firewood bundles for what I call the bearskin rug market. I figure a little indoor warmth from mother nature and a glass of wine never hurt anyone.

Back