Dang it got COLD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ride over to my SIL's place and back was amusing/amazing. Up here we only have 3 inches of snow on the ground. Down there in the valley they have a foot or more. Usually its the other way around. On the way there I passed so many cars skidding out, or losing traction. PU trucks were the worst, the 2WD ones with no weight in the beds.T hey lifted the tire chin/traction tire requirement, but I do not know why. Half the cars had chains, but the other people driving with regular unchained tires on snow and ice are a hazard. Some roads have a half a foot of compacted snow on the pavement, while others are plowed. One car was going backward and went about 1/4 a mile down a steep hill in a more or less straight line, tires spinning the whole way. Many cars were in ditches, and many more were abandoned from last Tuesday's snow storm. Tow trucks were busy, as were fire and police. I passed maybe 5 wreaks being cleaned up. And I saw one other wreak in the making, and there were a dozen near misses. Lots of cars also had fresh accident damage. They swerved all over the place. I helped push 2 cars out of the parking lot at the grocery store so I could get my truck past them.

All I have to do in this weather is push the 4WD drive button on my dashboard. I also have M&S off road tires. And ABS brakes. Though they were chattering a lot yesterday when braking. I took it slow. I also have chains, but I have yet to ever use them on my truck. I have driven through many blizzards in the Cascades and Sierras and I have never spun out of gotten stuck in my Tundra. I grew up driving in this stuff though.

Yah, they are full of it. But that's typical city crew crap for you. I live in the county, and in the next county over. Trees fall out here and either the country road crews clear them, or like last week, the power company deals with it, or one of their contracted companies like Asplundh. Sometimes the wood ticks get there first and fight over the windthrow. I will go collecting fire wood along the roads here next week when the rains return and the snow melts. Have saws and trailer, will travel.

Not terribly cold, but just got about 8-10" of snow since noon, and it is still snowing. Hope the wind stays down. Was just getting gravel roads to dry up and firm up after a warm spell, it was a mid-winter thaw, sucks. Skidloader is plugged in and hope it stops by the morning. Got fire stoked and just hanging at home...

Not terribly cold, but just got about 8-10" of snow since noon, and it is still snowing. Hope the wind stays down. Was just getting gravel roads to dry up and firm up after a warm spell, it was a mid-winter thaw, sucks. Skidloader is plugged in and hope it stops by the morning. Got fire stoked and just hanging at home...
Had to go from Minneapolis to two hours past Duluth and back today. Glad that snow stayed down by you guys!

Had to go from Minneapolis to two hours past Duluth and back today. Glad that snow stayed down by you guys!

Yea crazy thing I was working about 10 miles south of my house n was snowing like mad. My brother was working about 20 miles north, not a flake for about 4-5 hours after. Not suppose to stop till afternoon by latest report.

We have only gotten about 2-3 inches of snow so far. Temp is right around 30. I doubt we will get the 9 inches that had been forecast. What snow there is, is heavy wet snow. Should be fun running the snowblower later today.

Yea crazy thing I was working about 10 miles south of my house n was snowing like mad. My brother was working about 20 miles north, not a flake for about 4-5 hours after. Not suppose to stop till afternoon by latest report.
I am in St Anthony right now and they got about 3 inches of wet crap overnight. Roads were terrible earlier and are just sloppy now.

Back