Dang it got COLD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teens below here and supposed to warm up to lows in the positive teens for most of next week.

Northern MN has a nice blanket of snow to insulate things, much of southern has grass showing.

12F here last night. Coldest it has gotten in 4 years here. Supposed to be in the single digits tonight, then warm up to a balmy 27F tomorrow. Snow is still here from 2 weeks ago. Got a dusting yesterday. Windy as S-F yesterday, lost power for half a day. Property is a mess with windthrow. Power lines were down for 1/4 mile just north of me. Roads are all ice sheets today, but open after they were closed yesterday due to the downed power lines.

I switched to dense hardwoods in my stove yesterday. Mix of black locust and white oak. Maple and fir were not cutting it.

I really miss my oak... temps have been hovering either side of 0° for the last three days, with some pretty stiff winds, and lookin' for -10° by tomorrow morning.
I'm burning a large standing-dead elm I took down a couple weeks ago and some of it's a bit on the damp side... it just ain't keeping up with demand at night, and it's slow to recover in the mornings.

Teens below here and supposed to warm up to lows in the positive teens for most of next week.

Northern MN has a nice blanket of snow to insulate things, much of southern has grass showing.
Lot of the grass showing now is covered with ice around here. Makes getting the wood from the polebarn to the house rather interesting.

-5 this morning when I got up...and found the big chunk I was going to put on the fire when I went to bed still laying alongside with the fire out. I bit the bullet and fired up the funace while I rebuilt the fire.

Turnkey, I'm real happy to hear that you've got some real cold weather and that things are back to normal in the Pacific Northwest. You keep cuttin that firewood, it will be used.

Lot of the grass showing now is covered with ice around here. Makes getting the wood from the polebarn to the house rather interesting.

I need to build a woodshed this summer. I have my wood stacked on pallets with sheet rubber roofing covering it, but the bottom courses are all iced up and snow has drifted into it. More snow here this year than going back about 30 years now (it snowed a lot more here like this year in the PNW when I was a kid). I can store a half cord of firewood on my porch, but that will only get me by for about 10 days in this weather. My sidewalk is glazed over with ice, but I throw cheap cat litter on it to keep from falling. Half my property is bare grass, and the other half is buried in 20 inch snow drifts. Snow shoes are no good in this stuff.

Dreaming of Daytona Beach, Florida right now where we lived when I was as kid... or of my days in college in Sandy Eggo. Yah, surfing and drinking tequila in shorts and a t-shirt, watching the babes on the boardwalk. Palm trees and suntan lotion, hot sun and warm water.

Turnkey, I'm real happy to hear that you've got some real cold weather and that things are back to normal in the Pacific Northwest. You keep cuttin that firewood, it will be used.

I have to keep reminding my self that these conditions ARE what was normal 30 odd years ago before GW got rolling good.

Not to worry though, today begins the warm up to highs above freezing for the next week

Hows that backyard of yours coming along?

Supposed to be breezy here tomorrow, 60-70 mph winds (normal here in winter). Usually it warms up when that happens, though we've had -10 and 60mph wind before. Wasn't too fun working outside.
Still -5* outside, least it's decent weather to work in.

Either way, I've got a bottle of coffee brandy, a case of shitter tickets and some Ramona noodles. Unless the roof comes off the house I'm all set.... and then I'll just start drinking!

Neighbor just texted me and said it's now -38 at the house. It was -31 when I left for work. Dang.

Holy ****! That is ****ing COLD! Its a balmy 22F here in comparison.

We are due for another ice storm here tomorrow and Sunday after a snow dump tomorrow. Should make the national news on TV as Portland comes to another skidding halt. They are threatening to use salt on the roads this time, but I doubt it will make any difference with ice. The stores were PACKED with people this afternoon, buying up supplies. Its only going to be a 2 day event, and rains will return on Monday. But store shelves are empty and there are long lines at gas stations. You would think that it is the End of Days.

Its only going to be 2 days, people!

Dang near warm here compared to most of you. -2 this morning headed up to a high of 20. Rainy and 50 called for next week.

I've got my wood stove roaring. Keeping warm, but damn it's 15 below outside. I was out in the garage, double gloves and all, and working on an old piece of Hickory to make a DIY Pickaroon, and only was able to work for about 10 minutes. That is just going to have to wait til warmer weather.

Latest posts

Back