Dangerous tree in need of expert opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the entire tree be removed?

• Total voters

Corey Packwood

Reaction score
1112171028_HDR.jpg 1112171028c_HDR.jpg 1112171028c_HDR.jpg 1112171028b_HDR.jpg 1112171028a_HDR.jpg 1112171028_HDR.jpg 1112171028a_HDR.jpg 1112171028_HDR.jpg Hi my name is Corey I'm a landscaper in Snohomish I take care of a trailer park and there is this very large cottonwood tree that is of concern I need a expert1112171028c_HDR.jpg 1112171028b_HDR.jpg opinion to confirm my suspicions of its deadly nature. The tree is leaning towards trailers and branches of already fallen before. I have had a tree removal company advise it be taken down not just cleaned up but my manager is worried about a biased opinion because of their business motivation. This seems like a third party it would be a great help to get an opinion. Lives are on the line thank you

What makes you think it needs "thinned"? There are a few dead limbs that should probably come out.

I agree with your manager...a tree removal company is probably not who you want to ask if it should be removed. I could have told you their answer without pictures.

Look for a Tree Risk Assessment Qualified Arborist at ISA's "Find an Arborist" page. Expect to pay for an evaluation - you are hiring a professional service, not asking for a bid.

Where's the dangerous tree?
Looks like a cottonwood, which are prone to sudden limb drop. Some pruning and lightening the tips of the heavy branches and good to go.
No lives on the line with this one.

Sorry, that isn't what you wanted to hear. I can read that you're gung ho to remove it.

Its a limb dropper as BC said; that has plus and minus on the plus side the limbs normally shed before it uproots in wind on the down side limbs normally shed. Reduction of the longest heaviest limbs will mitigate risks, the tree needs maintenance in that setting every 3 to 5 years to ensure limbs don't drop at a bad time, "other that that" I do not see any reason it cannot remain shade.

Do you guys not see the angle of the tree? It is leaning towards homes doesn't that play a Factor considering Cottonwood like to split straight down the middle of the crown

I think it at least thinned because it's already drop dropped branches and broken a window. it's right next to a parking area and causes damage to vehicles. Also the directions leaning is towards my home consider if you hear that cracking in a windstorm and you're in its path would you want to take it down?

I think it at least thinned because it's already drop dropped branches and broken a window. it's right next to a parking area and causes damage to vehicles. Also the directions leaning is towards my home consider if you hear that cracking in a windstorm and you're in its path would you want to take it down?
I live in tornado alley I have a large red oak and white oak right beside my trailer. I reduced them by taking small branches at the tips out all over the crown. nothing larger than 2 inch diameter was cut. Today you cannot tell I ever trimmed them but in high winds I can tell. As far as lean goes many trees lean for various reasons but photo tropism is the most prevalent reason. Trees send roots where needed the only time i worry of lean is partial uprooted or drastic leans

Just because a tree leans does not make it an inherently weak tree. The wood and root structure is different on a tree with constant force on it that way. If it leans because it has heaved then that's another thing. A proper site inspection is needed. A tree that is straight could fall on the homes depending on the wind direction. Again, it needs to be determined why it is leaning. Grew that way or heaved. Have it inspected.

I am always amazed by people who either buy a house or rent a house/mobile home space next to a tree then start demanding every tree in the vicinity be cut down because it is a hazard. If you drive a car on the road you have a much better chance of death or serious injury in a vehicle crash than that tree falling on you. You should sell your car to be on the safe side.

I am always amazed by people who either buy a house or rent a house/mobile home space next to a tree then start demanding every tree in the vicinity be cut down because it is a hazard. If you drive a car on the road you have a much better chance of death or serious injury in a vehicle crash than that tree falling on you. You should sell your car to be on the safe side.
:yes:

I tell people that all the time. In real rough numbers...but it drives the point home: In the US about 100 people per DAY die in a car accident. About 100 per YEAR die from a tree-related accident. If you are worried about trees, you have no business on the road. That doesn't mean one shouldn't follow due diligence (and I highly recommend they hire me to evaluate their trees every week, just to be safe ;) ) ... but once you have done that, stop being so concerned. It is well documented that less experience and knowledge in tree risk assessment leads to a higher number of trees being (unnecessarily) removed - at a great cost in both cash and loss of benefit.

Latest posts

Back