David Bradley

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy pearce

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got a David Bradley 917. Rebuilt the carb, set the mixture screws to 1-1 1/4 turns. New plug. It has spark. Checked the Reed valve. It's fine.. cleaned tank. Sanded And gapped points. It has ran for a few seconds. Has good compression. I have alot of difficulty getting it to run. Any tips? It struggles to run on starting fluid. Maybe something I am missing.

It has strong compression. When it directly fire up. Sounded very healthy. Wondering if the spark is just weak. Maybe I need a new coil, do they have a modern replacement?

Most like need to go through the fuel system again unless the saw is flooding out. Start in the tank and make sure that fuel flows freely out of the fuel line next to the carb. Then onto the carb, needs to flow freely when needle is open and stop when closed.

Stop using starting fluid, it will eventually cause damage. If you need to prime it use mixed fuel. It is possible to set the flywheel incorrectly and the saw will fire and die. It is also possible to set it so the saw runs backwards, usually not for long.

If memory serves, 917 is the Sears branded prefix for many different models. Reed valve saws can have strong compression and badly scored pistons. Look over the piston through the exhaust.

Flywheel is on the keyway? Not sure . I think it's flooding. One thing I am sure of. The needle isn't seating properly and gas will run out the air filter. And I rebuilt it. And followed a diagram
Not sure?

If fuel is running out of the air filter then the carb is not working properly. Metering of fuel is incorrect.
Which carb?
All new replacement parts in carb?
Metering height set?

It is a lauson power products. Reed valve style. No bowl. . Replaced diaphram, and the mixture o rings. And the spring and the oring for the needle. It has a blue spark. And compression. I have seen it run for 5-6 seconds. It is a fueling issue . I feel fairly confident. Wonder if any modern carbs can be swapped in place ?

The lever that the metering diaphragm pushes down onto in order to lift the metering needle of of the seat is adjusted by bending it up or down slightly near the needle and fulcrum.

The proper height depends on the brand/type of carb.

I got it running. It was flooded. The needle doesn't want to seat. Maybe after it runs some fuel through it. It will swell and seat better. It's a lauson carb. A toro s200 rebuild kit works on it. It runs strong.

I got a David Bradley 917. Rebuilt the carb, set the mixture screws to 1-1 1/4 turns. New plug. It has spark. Checked the Reed valve. It's fine.. cleaned tank. Sanded And gapped points. It has ran for a few seconds. Has good compression. I have alot of difficulty getting it to run. Any tips? It struggles to run on starting fluid. Maybe something I am missing.
I just got mine running today. I could get it to run on starting fluid but wouldn't go on it's own. Took the carb back off and noticed there was a small port (pin hole size) that was clogged. Also noticed the needle valve was a little sticky, because at the bottom of the jet, was a rubber piece that was in crooked. Mine has the tillotson carb though.

Latest posts

Back