DDRT Prusik length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgb84

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Getting back into tree work after a several year hiatus and have a question about hitch cord length for my Ddrt set up. I’d like to use it with a tending pulley, but am unsure of how long to order it. I would prefer spliced or an eye to eye as opposed to buying a rope and making my own. I’m looking at a foot locking eye to eye Prusik Cord from bee line that’s 50” in length. Does this sound about right to you guys or could someone recommend something specific ?

I guess my question is how far do you want the friction hitch from the bridge of your saddle? It seems like once you double a 32 inch eye to eye, you’re at 16 inches, minus the length taken by the actual tying of the hitch. Will an anchor hitch for my main leg of the line and 2 eye splices for the tail end even fit on one carabiner on my bridge? Would I be better off using a split tail so I’d only have the anchor hitch and one eye on the carabiner?

Thanks,

Dustin

Hey Dustin. I prefer 30". I have 28", 30" and 32". It all depends on the hitch you're using. I mainly tie a VT. But sometimes tie a Distel or Michoacan. A VT will use a little longer cord while the Distel seems to like a shorter. Less setback. I recommend getting a Hitchclimber pulley and a cord with 2 spliced eyes. You can use it for Ddrt and if you wanted to climb SRT in the future all you would need to buy would be a Rope Wrench. This is just my preference and opinion. There are dozens of different ways to go about it.

Attachments

• 20171022_180507.jpg
    20171022_180507.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
Thanks for your reply. I may try that as well, but I’m planning to first try this type of set up. Is it comparable to the hitch climber? It just tends the slack with a micro pulley accessory corded to the main line.

Attachments

• 55E1C299-15FA-4B09-9D59-DA2F587CC4EF.png
    55E1C299-15FA-4B09-9D59-DA2F587CC4EF.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
It does the same job. Just not as efficient to use. And takes longer to install and take off. I see your in Arkansas. I am too. What part?

I’m in Fort Smith. If you’re still in Malvern, you’re only 125 miles from me. It’s a small world. How do you feel about the prusik compared to a VT hitch for this set up?

I like the VT a lot better. However just like with the prusik, the VT has lots of different options and ways to be tied. And will perform differently with all.

Mt. Ida is about halfway. I'd be glad to meet you there sometime and bring some climbing gear and let you try out different cords. I have a Rope Runner too. And several different devices.

That would be great. I bought a new saddle and a new climbing Line a couple of days ago. Got a new tribe tengu from treestuff for a crazy deal and a 150’ Yale imori 12 mil 24 strand climbing line. Couldn’t find any bad reviews on the rope. I wanted a 16 strand arbormax blue streak, but the deal on the imori was great.

Back