Dead Locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just let them stand after girdled. If you let them stand long enough, the bark loosens, the thorns fall off and when you cut the tree, all the small limbs bust off...no trimming required. Maybe takes 3 years to stand dead before cutting to get to this point.

I just let them stand after girdled. If you let them stand long enough, the bark loosens, the thorns fall off and when you cut the tree, all the small limbs bust off...no trimming required. Maybe takes 3 years to stand dead before cutting to get to this point.
aint got that much time,,when farmer says to get out in 3 weeks,,then bulldozer!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes,,they and other ash came down,,,FAST!!

I guess handier when you're the farmer, you can girdle what you want cleared 3 years from now, and cut what you killed 3 years ago now...play the hand you're dealt. We got lots of locust, so loosing a few doesn't hurt my feelings much either way

Trying to convert my Locust forest into an Oak, Persimmon, PawPaw forest. The dead Locusts won't slow the seedlings down, but will have to careful dropping them. I'll bet the thorns are good fire starters.
Any idea how those locust trees died? How many trees have perished? This is the first time I have ever heard of a dead locust forest. And Pics?

I'm pretty sure it was a dose of Pathways II herbicide, since I was the guy who sprayed them. They have some wild life value, but too dangerous to live around. Tractor tires are expensive, hands and feet are not replaceable.
Those black locust thorns are atrocious, no doubt about that. I imagine that's why they perfected the thornless honey locust. The black locust is one of the few thorn trees that will grow thorns right down to the ground along the trunk. It's a bear cat.

Around Pa. the locusts die mainly because the Maples/oaks and ash just get bigger and shade them out. I love the stuff!! I love when people leave a giant chunk that surely looks rotten and soaked through. It can lay on the ground for years and look completely rotten and when you cut it up, 80% of the wood is hard. Just take your ax and bang off all the punk.

I leave dead locust stand as long as I can because in years of short supply its like seasoned standing fuel. If its hollow I may drill it to drain water out of it. I have a few dead ones that are standing that have been dead for 10 years plus.

Also around here, The pecker pole sized trees that are dead are often very shallow rooted. A chain on the back of the quad will often expose massive roots that easily add up to a couple wheel barrows full of really heavy and hard wood.

Another thing to watch out for when taking dead locust that is hollow. You may want to split it away from the house or even in the forest. Around Pa., I have found in the dead of winter it can be infested with thousands of Cock Roaches. I've found that out the hard way after I brought home a nice load that I eventually just ended up taking it back and dumping it and coming back with the splitter and a can of spray.

Around Pa. the locusts die mainly because the Maples/oaks and ash just get bigger and shade them out. I love the stuff!! I love when people leave a giant chunk that surely looks rotten and soaked through. It can lay on the ground for years and look completely rotten and when you cut it up, 80% of the wood is hard. Just take your ax and bang off all the punk.

I leave dead locust stand as long as I can because in years of short supply its like seasoned standing fuel. If its hollow I may drill it to drain water out of it. I have a few dead ones that are standing that have been dead for 10 years plus.

Also around here, The pecker pole sized trees that are dead are often very shallow rooted. A chain on the back of the quad will often expose massive roots that easily add up to a couple wheel barrows full of really heavy and hard wood.

Another thing to watch out for when taking dead locust that is hollow. You may want to split it away from the house or even in the forest. Around Pa., I have found in the dead of winter it can be infested with thousands of Cock Roaches. I've found that out the hard way after I brought home a nice load that I eventually just ended up taking it back and dumping it and coming back with the splitter and a can of spray.

Yep, the ol' wood roaches. Them, carpenter ants, and termites are some of the reasons I went with an OWB.

I'm like you. I leave it standing until I need some dry, seasoned wood. Can't beat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the time, when I talk about cutting locust for firewood people look at me like I have asparagus growing out of my ears. Around here most people pass it up (I just don't think most have ever tried it). I go out of my way to cut it and never turn it down.

Locust is the easiest wood I've ever encountered as to splitting for firewood. With knot free locust rounds, you'll actually go faster splitting it with a maul than with a powered splitter.

Any idea how those locust trees died? How many trees have perished? This is the first time I have ever heard of a dead locust forest. And Pics?

The Locust Borer killed black locust all over Easstern Washington starting about 20 years ago. I lucked out into clear cutting several groves, one of them 10 acres. These were big trees, up to 30" dbh. There is another grove still to be harvested only a few miles from myhouse, about 5 acres. Guy will not let it go. "She (probably sister) loved those trees and doesn't want them cut" - I check after every storm, it is about time for them to start coming down...

I thing the borer invasion has ceased as I have seen no new damage in several years now.

Black Locusst is an imported species here, only place you see them is around farmsteads planted bythe settlers around the turn of the century.

Harry K

Those black locust thorns are atrocious, no doubt about that. I imagine that's why they perfected the thornless honey locust. The black locust is one of the few thorn trees that will grow thorns right down to the ground along the trunk. It's a bear cat.

Must be a different species than out here. Ours has verysmall thorns and only on young wood - not over 4-5 years old. Those thorns aren't really aproblem except for getting sabbed handling the brush.

Harry K

Locust is the easiest wood I've ever encountered as to splitting for firewood. With knot free locust rounds, you'll actually go faster splitting it with a maul than with a powered splitter.

Yep, but it is really fun with a Fiskars. I still have a pile f about 12 cord in theround I cut about 6 years ago. Be splitting some of it this winter just to get the blood flowing again in the mornings.

It splits easy green, when dry it almost falls apart by looking at it.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back