Deadbeat customers...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant believe some of the things you guys claim you will do to collect a debt.
Reacting in a destructive, vengence seeking way, is not how to do business.
Vandalizing, come on, grow up. Your business people act like it.

If someone dumped chips or logs in my front yard(regardless if I stiffed em on payment) they would be back to clean things up very quick like. Illegal dumping carries some heavy fines. PLus Id get ya for the crack in my cement driveway when you illegally dumped that Pheonix log. Then youd owe me a new driveway too

Why not just meet outside the school at the rock, and duke it out, like mature teenagers?

I recommend the small claims court as the route to go. Arrived armed with the facts, and sue for the full amount plus the time you spent trying to collect, preparing your case, the cost of the claim filing etc. This really got the attention of an ex boss who decided to take over six months to pay $300+ he clearly owed me. One of the so called "more respected" Arborists in the metro Ottawa area-ha! (he fell into category 2 above). Suddenly a cheque appeared for the amount, and I phoned him back and said unless he paid me another $75 for the court costs involved and already paid, I would take him to court anyways, as sending me the $300+ clearly indicated he owed me the money. I got the $75 and the whole matter was a done deal.

Not to take this thread off topic but, would a verbal agreement (payment) between you and the customer hold up in small claims court?

Jeff

Small claims court is a lot of BS. I went to small claims court because a tenant on a rental property owed me about $1800. I paid a sheriff to issue a subpoena, went to court, which the tenant didn't even bother to show up, was awarded the full amount I filed for, and was still unable to collect. Called the small claims court clerk and was told they do not have the power to enforce a judgment, I would need to go to district court, but my claim was too small to be handled there. Bottom line is SC court is a sham, don't waste your time and money. Handle it yourself, unprofessional you say, I don't care. I consider someone who agreed to pay for X amount of work and then tries to stiff me, equal to a mugger trying to steal my money and taking food out of my kids mouth and a roof over their head.

Joe the Treespader's Search for Justice

Not so long ago in a state not too far away, there lived a man named Joe. Joe was a typical hardworking American entrepreneur. He saw a need for a service in his region and invested a large ammount of money in some specialized equipment and went into business. In an attempt to recover the cost of his equipment and earn a living for his family Joe advertised his services and sought high and low for clients for whom he could transplant trees. Joe landed a contract for a large project away from his hometown. Off went Joe to live in a hotel for a few days and work long hours. While he was working on his project a local citizen stopped by and inquired about his services. Mr Citizen had a young Birch tree at his current home that he was hoping could be moved to the new house he had purchased before he sold the house he was moving out of. Joe looked a the tree and the new location and said that he could do the job for $90. Mr. Citizen said to please do it. Joe took a short break from his big project and moved the Birch tree. After the job was completed he sought out Mr.Citizen for payment. Mr Citizen looked very thoughtful, then mused out loud, " You know, that was my tree all along and it is planted on my property now, I don't think I'll pay you." Joe was outraged and flabbergasted. What could he do? If he spaded the tree out again he could be prosecuted for theft. It certainly was going to cost too much to come back to this town to pursue a court case for $90. The evil Mr. Citizen knew that he had Joe in a losing situation.
All day Joe worked in the hot sun on his big project and stewed over the injustice of Mr. Citizen and the conundrum of seemingly unobtainable justice. That evening Joe sharpened his trusty chainsaw and made sure it was running well. About 11:00 PM Joe started his saw outside of town and set it idling into his truck. He drove down the street where Mr C's new home was located and coasted his pick-up to the curb. Joe leapt from the truck with his idling chainsaw in hand and sprinted across the yard. He revved the saw and swung it to meet the trunk of the hapless Birch. As the tree toppled Joe raced back to his pick-up and smoothly accelerated away.
The next day the Sherriff came to see Joe at his Hotel room. Joe listened in silence as the Sherriff detailed a horrible act of vandalism committed against Mr.Citizen's Birch tree. Joe looked the Sherriff in the eye and said "You know I had a feeling that something bad might happen to that tree. When Mr. Citizen refused to pay me for moving that tree I just had a feeling that something bad might happen." The Sherriff blustered and fussed "Now see here, Mr. C is an important man around here...." Joe Looked the Sherriff In the eye again and said "Sherrif, If you have some evidence that I've done something wrong, you'll have to do something about it but I don't have anything more to say." The sherriff scatched his head and left and Joe finished his big project, got paid for it and went back home to create a successful tree moving business..
Two wrongs don't make one right but a wrong shouldn't stand uncorrected. At best revenge is bittersweet-but, perhaps, sometimes, it is more satisfying that doing nothing. :blob5:

Great one Stumper. It's not about the money anymore, it's about revenge, plain and simple. Some people need to be taught a lesson, try to be discreet, don't tell anyone.

not getting paid for being slow,,, how about,,, not getting paid for being to fast?? we did a job,, bid at 12k last summer.... climber,,, 2 groundies,, truck,, chipper,, grinder,,,complete job.. figured on 8 days....12 100' plus pin oaks.....all rope work...

we showed up with,,3 climbers,,,6 groundies,,,machine operator,,3 trucks,, 2 chippers,,grinder,,and a skid loader...got it done in 2 days....

guy was pissed because he had to shell out the money in just 2 days,, he didn't want to pay!!!!

he paided after a call from the lawyer!!!!

if you don't have a freind that is a lawyer,,, file a lien,,, they will never sell the house,,until its paid off....

It is simply amazing that some people are happy with the price until they realize that it was easier for you than they imagined. :rolleyes: I make an analogy to a dental visit for a tooth extraction-An extraction costs $90 .Would you prefer that your Dentist gross $9 per hour or $9 per minute. -That clicks with some and they smile and say "It was worth it so the quicker the better." Others are hopeless.
While we are on this subject lets not forget all those great customers-The ones that say "Wow, that was fast! It sure helps to have the right tools and know what you are doing! I'll recommend you to all my friends." Then they smile and hand you a check with a tip above and beyond the agreed upon price. :cool:

juststumps said:
if you don't have a freind that is a lawyer,,, file a lien,,, they will never sell the house,,until its paid off....

Did you check to see if you could actually file a lien on someone's property for tree work in your state? I wanted to file a lien on the neighbor of my customer who wanted a few branches cut. I told him $80 and he said OK. I left an invoice and after 4 weeks I sent him another. Still no payment. I thought I'll just file a lien and let him be surprised when he wanted to do anything with the house. The surprise was on me. Even though I was a licensed contractor, liens cannot be filed for tree work because that is not considered a property improvement. I had to go to his house and taped a note that said you better pay up or I will need to return your tree debris plus interest. Got the check 2 days later. I have come to the conclusion that you will need to handle unpaid tree work on your own. Don't count on the court system to help you. Many wonderful products out there to help you, Liquid Scratch, Sonic Nausea, powders that can be sprinkled on things and will stain it purple when it gets wet, and a dozen more. I detest people that do not pay their debts and people that steal. (same thing)

Gee, why won't people treat us like professionals? Why do tree trimmers have a bad reputation? Duh!!! Listen to yourselves. :angry:

get them to sign a job acceptance terms of payment and cost agreed befofe you do any work and the same with any add ons , pre print one and carry it with you in your vehicle a signed document is a contract they wont have a leg to stand on
we do it

on tree work i never collect a deposit or try to collect before completion. if i price the job seperately tree and stump i'll collect on the tree and collect on the stump when it is done. certain customers i know will not pay for 30-60 days all acceptable before hand. sometimes i even set up payment plans with customers that had a dead tree that "had" to come down.

but my payment policy was simple......if in the end i got stiffed i returned the tree 3x on their front lawn. i once had a contarctor stiff me on land clearing so i filled his foundation with chips. :)

i think i only returned 3 tree's........people usually don't argue with people with chain saws.

finish the job first..............what makes you think they are trying to stiff you?

Your the best dude! I love your style......

Of course the water ballons filled with roundup sounds really neat also.

I've been stiffed a few times as well.During my second year in the business full time,I did a job for a guy who lived in this high end neighborhood.Every house in this subdivision costs 1 million plus.It was mid-December,and it was extremely slow that year,to top things off,my wife wasn't working either and I had two kids at the time to buy Christmas for.I bid this job cheap to try and be sure to close the deal,I ended up agreeing to do it for $3000.00.I thought it was going to be alot worse that it actually was,I was planning at least three days to get it done,but I finished it in two,and I even took out two extra trees at no cost to hopefully encourage this jack-ass to pass my name along.Once I was finished,I even payed a lawn service to replace a small patch of sod that was damaged by a falling trunk.I handed him the bill,and he said he would have to write me a check the next morning because his checkbook was at his office,so the next morning,I could not get him to answer his phone....I was broke at this point,I could hardly even afford the gas to drive to his house again.I finally got him on the phone later that afternoon,and again he said to just come to his office and he would have me a check.Of course when I went to his office that morning he wasn't there,would not answer his cell phone,and he wasn't at his house either.To make a long story short,I finished the job on 12/20,he agreed to pay me as soon as I was finished.He went out of town the day after Christmas,and I did not get paid until January 2.Had I not had that contract,I am sure that he would not have paid me a dime.Luckily I had another job come up just as big or I would not have even been able to buy my kids their Christmas presents or pay my bills that month.

Back