Dealing With Dirko...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone have any good suggestions for applying a thin, round bead of this stuff to seal clamshell cases?

My last experience I recall wasn't very fulfilling. I ended up with as much on me and tools as on the machine!

Anybody ever try loading this stuff into a hypodermic syringe sans needle?

Thanks,
Steve

I use 1194? or 1197 cant remember but I use a paint by number brush. I just open the tube and dip the brush right into the tube works very well.
Sounds like an interesting idea! Use a small disposable brush. I would think it would have to be pretty stiff because Dirko is pretty viscous! Where do you buy yours? Got any web links?

At work, we use syringes to apply a bead of sealant. They're available at farm supply stores without any kind of license or paperwork.

Sometimes I use a popsical stick to spread it thin the scrape the excess with the other end works good imo

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use the longer included nozzle while cutting the tip to as small of an opening as possible. The black heartish shaped twisty thing is a must and it is still difficult to dispense. I wish Dirko came in a smaller single use tube.

I usually use a coating, not a bead. One surface is all that's necessary if you apply enough. Glob into the groove (on the Stihls) using the Andyshine approach and then smooth it with my finger. Using the long dispenser will waste everything left in it. Just poke a small hole in the end of the tube and apply from there. Wipe clean afterward and tighten the cap. Hardly any waste and only a very small plug to remove the next time you need it. Should be able to find a tube for around $8.00. Lots of folks think it's a Stihl product and don't use it just for that reason. It's not. Made by Elring and widely used in Europe. Great working time. Stays rubbery. Easy to remove. Can be applied to only one surface and is usable immediately upon assembly. My sealant of choice for years.

Here is what I ended up with... I found an old nozzle from a silicone caulk tube and it happened to also fit the Dirko tube. I also use the dispensing "key" this time and it made dispensing much more consistent as one hand could work the key and the other position the nozzle. I do think I will try to find some small paint brushes to smooth out the bead junctions. A deck screw in the used nozzle makes it a breeze to remove the Dirko plug for the next use.

Note to self... RESIST any urge to clean up the squeeze out BEFORE it completely cures!

Attachments

• IMG_6352.JPG
    IMG_6352.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
I've never had a problem to seal a clamshell engine.I was using Dirko HT for years,good stuff,never had a single issue.I tried the motoseal,it holds really good but i dind't like it because it was to liquid,few months back i came across the threebond 1215( i bought it to seal my KTM rocker cover).Really expensive stuff(i paid 35$ for 250gr tube) but is beyond everything i've seen.It withstands gas too easy and it is a little stiff when you apply it which i like a lot.I put a glove on(those thin gloves for medical exam) and aplly the stuff with my finger,nothing more easy than that.

Threebond 1184 is what many folks use as well. Very good stuff. But again, a sloppy sealant to apply, imho. I just don't see Dirko as a messy sealant. Quite the opposite, actually. Will need to check out the Threebond 1215, too. Thanks for the tip.

I use motoseal less than 7.00 a tube sometimes.
I use a q-tip to evenly spread it on surfaces.
I've never had a failure with dirko honda
Yamabond treebond etc.
It's all good stuff
I just prefer motoseal

Back