Dealing with fugly trunks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimberMcPherson

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
After the uptenth huge trunk, on steep country with massive targets all around, with no felling area, no crane access, Im starting to think about alternatives.
Snatching down big trunks is tough on gear, tough on men and when the diameter gets to big your having to cut pieces that arent the best to get a rope to hold onto as much as we would like them to. I hate that gunshot sound when your rigging rope or snatchblock rope snaps. So I would like to avoid it.
Timbers crazy idea number 32984 is that once the monster is nothing more than a standing trunk, what if it could be milled standing? (forgive me if this is an old idea)
Make a chainsaw mill that works vertically on runners that are put on the tree, and requires no more force than gravity as it cuts down. So you could use one of those climbing frame things that begin with L to get up the back of the truck and set the mill up to cut down the front and then let it do its thing unaided while you clean the rest of the mess up. Securing the pieces wouldnt be easy but I think would be possible with some experimentation. But for the trouble it may be to do, you have turned the wood into something thats much more valuable than firewood.

Back