Dear Stihl...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think those little nooks and crannies are there to hold the melted butter...just kidding (that's an old expression from a advertisement for breakfast muffins). Actually, my sinister take on this situation is that those hollowed out areas are designed to reduce weight for advertising purposes only. The manufacturers know full well that each little cavity will soon clog up with oily gunk that adds weight to the saw.
Yes,.... and they may add strength too.... I say put them on the outside instead of inside.... easier ro clean. (Actually we have seen some of that from Stihl)

Why do you make your saws so hard to clean?
Why all the nooks and crannies for dirt to gather in around fuel caps, chain breaks, clutch covers, underneath mufflers.
Why the tiny falling spikes?
Why is it so difficult to get proper falling spikes and 3/4 wrap handles in Europe?
Why the single piece top covers that you have to cut if you want to fit a bigger air filter?

View attachment 807850

View attachment 807851

View attachment 807852

View attachment 807853

Yes I do clean my saws, but they get dirty none the less when you use them a lot.
Pine?

Noble fir and sitka spruce.
Very wet timber, especially here with the warmer winters and lots of rain.
Nobles are gooey!
beautiful trees ... Wife brought one in for Xmas.
I always save the greens and dry them as kindling... goes up like napalm when touched to flame. :blob2:

The world as we know it has changed and not for the better.Years back outboard dealers had mechanics who knew the ins and outs of their motors and their quirks now they have technicians another name for parts changer till it fixes the problem on your dime.
I am so sick of ask one of our professionals ? BS artists who know squat.
Its like Home Depot ask an associate .What a joke asking some poor guy who lost his good paying job making made in North America products maybe say Homelite and is stuck trying to eke out a living and probably half starving to death on the minimum wage salary at Home Depot I am real certain he feels like a team player in the almighty Home Depot family.
In the old days tractors chain saws etc were designed with farmers loggers and the end user in mind items such as ease of repair and common sense were included in the package.Now its done by engineers and economists with corporate greed and making the warranty period the bottom line.
I am a construction electrician
When I make a mistake its a f...k up
When an engineer makes a mistake it is a revision
Kash

The first dealer I contacted got back to me. I could tell it wasnt the boss on the phone but the young lad they have behind the till.
He said the only bars he could get in for me were either 25' or 30'. He said he had an old stock 36' oregon bar in the shop for €115.
He didnt know if that bar was lightweight bar or another model.

The first dealer I contacted got back to me. I could tell it wasnt the boss on the phone but the young lad they have behind the till.
He said the only bars he could get in for me were either 25' or 30'. He said he had an old stock 36' oregon bar in the shop for €115.
He didnt know if that bar was lightweight bar or another model.
I seriously doubt anyone makes 25 foot, 30 foot or even 36 foot bars for chainsaws these days, a single ' after a number indicates a foot, a " after a number indicates an inch or inches. Its not a typo if done on every number in a post, hopefully you were asking for prices on the phone and not in text...;)

I seriously doubt anyone makes 25 foot, 30 foot or even 36 foot bars for chainsaws these days, a single ' after a number indicates a foot, a " after a number indicates an inch or inches. Its not a typo if done on every number in a post, hopefully you were asking for prices on the phone and not in text...;)

What the hell are you talking about? My 032 av has a 42 foot bar!

Funny I don't mind the gunk building up in side the clutch cover that is after all where all the sappy wood chips land first.
But if I looked at a chain saw that those crannies around the fuel cap I would not buy the thing.
I suppose you carry a can of compressed air into the field so you can clean around the cap so you can keep cutting and not have to go home to clean the saw with compressed air.

He has a Husky 455 rancher and around the fuel and oil caps it is smooth easy to wipe with a glove to clean and refill in the field.

Echos have smooth fuel cap areas.

1584725210174.png

Poulan does also .

Stop buying second rate and not have all those nooks and crannies to clean.

:D Al

What do they make that's junk? Is it because they get dirty?

I do not have all of the current line up of Stihl chainsaws. I was sold a bill of goods that a MS 661 could handle any thing but turned out to be junk. It has some engine monitoring system that does not work. I would have to carry around two MS 661 to just to keep one running. I can not afford to have a saw quit for any reason. With my 056's all I have to have is a spare ignition, carburetor, and oil pump. When the carb on the 661 got plugged I nearly crushed it with my splitter. I am thinking about parting it out and trying to get some money back out of it. The 070 cuts circles around the 661. The 070 has a slower chain speed that allows for more cutting less sharpening. The 070 is too heavy to climb with though. Climbing is not some thing I do much of any more. That is one example of Stihl being junk. For those who are happy with the Stihl products that is their choice and for many upon many are happy with their Stihl products. New Stihl technology does not work for me as I need absolute reliability. Thanks

Back