Dear Stihl...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not have all of the current line up of Stihl chainsaws. I was sold a bill of goods that a MS 661 could handle any thing but turned out to be junk. It has some engine monitoring system that does not work. I would have to carry around two MS 661 to just to keep one running. I can not afford to have a saw quit for any reason. With my 056's all I have to have is a spare ignition, carburetor, and oil pump. When the carb on the 661 got plugged I nearly crushed it with my splitter. I am thinking about parting it out and trying to get some money back out of it. The 070 cuts circles around the 661. The 070 has a slower chain speed that allows for more cutting less sharpening. The 070 is too heavy to climb with though. Climbing is not some thing I do much of any more. That is one example of Stihl being junk. For those who are happy with the Stihl products that is their choice and for many upon many are happy with their Stihl products. New Stihl technology does not work for me as I need absolute reliability. Thanks
Unfortunately this is not a problem unique to Stihl.

It is also the reason I grabbed a 461 last year. Not that the 462 is a bad saw and I'm sure the 500i will be great, but it's tough to beat the simplicity of a good carbed saw.

If you get your hands dirty working on your car/truck use suger to clean them. But there are things you can do in th efirst place to stop getting oily greasey hands.
Clean your car/truck they sell pressure washers for that.
Wear Nitrite gloves also.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...80261c965b9ef7437ed8a41ab4a24522&action=click
:D Al

Thats exactly it. Dirt isnt a problem, but why is something designed to gather dirt when it could be designed to NOT gather dirt.
The fuel caps on older stihl saws were just fine, even the older flippy caps didnt gather as much dirt.

Thats an interesting observation mr.Jenkins :dizzy:

Why is that an interesting observation? About 35 years ago I think I could have tugged a 070 up a tree. I likely would have used an 041 to do the limbing then half way down fired up the 070. As I remember I ran that poor 041 until I was at 30'' before going to the 056. I do not remember ever taking a 070 up a tree. Thanks

Thats exactly it. Dirt isnt a problem, but why is something designed to gather dirt when it could be designed to NOT gather dirt.
The fuel caps on older stihl saws were just fine, even the older flippy caps didnt gather as much dirt.

I do remember loosing a saw while cleaning. I sprayed the saw with degreaser then set it down for about a half an hour before washing it with warm water. After rinsing the saw off I tried to start it, but it would not start so I left it where it lay thinking in the morning I will run it a minute or two. I was very tired and it was dark by then. Early the next morning I woke up to two feet of new snow so first thing I did my snow removal requirements first. By the time I went home it was dark again. The next day I started looking for the saw could not find it. After a few days went by I said OH well. After the snow melted there it was and had to do a total rebuild loosing a few hundred buck in the process. Nope was not too pleased with myself. Thanks

I do remember loosing a saw while cleaning. I sprayed the saw with degreaser then set it down for about a half an hour before washing it with warm water. After rinsing the saw off I tried to start it, but it would not start so I left it where it lay thinking in the morning I will run it a minute or two. I was very tired and it was dark by then. Early the next morning I woke up to two feet of new snow so first thing I did my snow removal requirements first. By the time I went home it was dark again. The next day I started looking for the saw could not find it. After a few days went by I said OH well. After the snow melted there it was and had to do a total rebuild loosing a few hundred buck in the process. Nope was not too pleased with myself. Thanks

Ted, I've got one for you, too. Funny now; not exactly so back then.
Back in the very early 80s I had the habit of taking my Homelites to the car wash each weekend after a week spent in the logging woods. If I recall I was using two Homey 450s and a 550 at the time. I'd pull off the b&c, started housing, top covers, and spray down the works. Then reassemble, fire up the saws to warm and dry them out, and be ready for another week felling timber.

Well, i did not reassemble the 550 after one laundering as I planned drive to my brother's place in south Texas the next day and work on it there.

Yes, you guessed It. The saw was locked up tight with rusted rings and main bearings. Oops. I junked the beast and started running 2100 and 480 Husqies at that point. And, I felt no loss at all.

Roger

It's been know since the beginning, Stihl saws look great out of the box, week after light use, they look 10 years old. It's a white saw, hardest two colors of cars to keep clean, white & black. You have better options to buy. :buttkick::yes:

Weird all my stihls have a dirt collecting device right on them .

Its like all the dust bypasses my flippy caps and gets pulled right into the my airfilters. 5 mins of run time on one of my stihls and the filter is packed.

I thought that was normal til I started running husqvarnas.

Back