Dear Stihl...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDarkLordChinChin

Der Teufel der lacht nur dazu! HA HA HA HA HA!
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Why do you make your saws so hard to clean?
Why all the nooks and crannies for dirt to gather in around fuel caps, chain breaks, clutch covers, underneath mufflers.
Why the tiny falling spikes?
Why is it so difficult to get proper falling spikes and 3/4 wrap handles in Europe?
Why the single piece top covers that you have to cut if you want to fit a bigger air filter?

105_0509.JPG

1584480683700.png

1584480701230.png

1584480721921.png

Yes I do clean my saws, but they get dirty none the less when you use them a lot.

Dear Ireland,

We are in the business to sell chainsaws worldwide, Cleaning and making saws look pretty after you use them is your business, not ours. We think that our saws run really well, either when dirty or when clean. We are sure that you understand because that's the way it is.

Yours truly,
Stihl

Okay so today I did a little experiment.
I rang up my two nearest stihl dealers and made some inquiries. They dont know me by name so it should be a pretty accurate test.
I asked to get a price for a 32' stihl lightweight bar and said I was going to put it on my 462. The first guy, the nearest dealer, said that such a bar does not exist and that the only bars for the 426 are 18' 20' and 25'. He then said he could maybe get a bar for the 661 that would fit. While this is true it's still amusing that he thought there were bars specifically for individual saws. He said he would ring me back with a price.
The other dealer, who I prefer, is a good 25 miles away. I asked him the same question. He didnt bullsh1t me and said he would ring back.
It is now 3 hours later and neither have rang back yet. If/when they do I will ask about skip chains, it will be interesting to see if the first dealer I rang actually knows that they exist.

Okay so today I did a little experiment.
I rang up my two nearest stihl dealers and made some inquiries. They dont know me by name so it should be a pretty accurate test.
I asked to get a price for a 32' stihl lightweight bar and said I was going to put it on my 462. The first guy, the nearest dealer, said that such a bar does not exist and that the only bars for the 426 are 18' 20' and 25'. He then said he could maybe get a bar for the 661 that would fit. While this is true it's still amusing that he thought there were bars specifically for individual saws. He said he would ring me back with a price.
The other dealer, who I prefer, is a good 25 miles away. I asked him the same question. He didnt bullsh1t me and said he would ring back.
It is now 3 hours later and neither have rang back yet. If/when they do I will ask about skip chains, it will be interesting to see if the first dealer I rang actually knows that they exist.
If you would have called my dealership it would have been the same since no one but me knows anything about Stihl

Dear Ireland,
We are in the business to sell chainsaws worldwide, Cleaning and making saws look pretty after you use them is your business, not ours. We think that our saws run really well, either when dirty or when clean. We are sure that you understand because that's the way it is.Yours truly, Stihl

I think much of what Stihl builds today is junk. Does that mean all of it is no. They have lost what used to make Stihl great. In their defense they have to work with EPA and idiots that know nothing about saws so it would not be a simple task of just building a saw to cut wood. This is why I have a large collection of older saws that actually cut wood. Thanks

I think much of what Stihl builds today is junk. Does that mean all of it is no. They have lost what used to make Stihl great. In their defense they have to work with EPA and idiots that know nothing about saws so it would not be a simple task of just building a saw to cut wood. This is why I have a large collection of older saws that actually cut wood. Thanks

What do they make that's junk?
Is it because they get dirty?

The only place where Stihl saws collect more debris is around the stupid flippy caps. Other than that I don't see where there's any difference whatsoever.
Agree
Saws get dirty.
My sidewinders, recipros, and jigsaws get dirty too but the dust is dry so flies off easier.
It’s easy to winge about... I too wish that both stihl and husky could design a clutch cover without all those nooks!... WTF !
And yeah.... those flippy cap mount areas.... pia in the field cleaning/filling with gloves on (or off)!!

I think those little nooks and crannies are there to hold the melted butter...just kidding (that's an old expression from a advertisement for breakfast muffins). Actually, my sinister take on this situation is that those hollowed out areas are designed to reduce weight for advertising purposes only. The manufacturers know full well that each little cavity will soon clog up with oily gunk that adds weight to the saw.

Latest posts

Back