Debating a Chipper, woodmaxx 3 point?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikesandcars

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been debating a used chipper for a while for property maintenance. Not new because I can't spend $15K + on one.

I'd like a hydraulic feed type for safety.

It comes down to a tractor mount 3 point model or a self-powered model.

The 3 point model seems to have several major advantages, mainly cost. I have a 40hp tractor to use for it.

Anyone use 3 point models vs a stand-alone?

This one seems like a great value even compared to used stand-alone models (which seem to go for 8K used). I'd buy one of these new: https://www.woodmaxx.com/WoodMaxx_8_PTO_Wood_Chipper_Hydraulic_Feed_p/wm-8h.htm

@RyeThomas had a three point chipper I think.

I've considered one myself, but never taken the plunge. I look forward to hearing other opinions.

What size material do you want to chip?

I had one and sold it, if I had to do it again I’d just rent the largest commercial stand alone and be done with it. I’m also not one to rent but the problem with the 3 point models is they are an absolute nightmare to clear when they jamb or when the belt slips and it will happen.
I believe when I was shopping there was 1 manufacturer that had a slick design that with a few bolts half the housing came off for easy debris clearing and knife maintenance. Sadly almost all are designed the same and when they jamb you only have a few little access holes you are trying to clear crap out of and it’s a disaster.
When it did run it was great but if you’ve got any green vegetation, small stuff that bends, etc I found in time and with little to no warning the machine will jamb, your belt will slip and you will spend a great deal of time teaching anyone around new 4 letter words while you loose time and money.

If everything is dry, decent sized and straight they are awesome but that’s not my world.

Then you will inevitably see a commercial tow behind on the side of the road getting it done and eating everything in site, rental for the win.

just my experience, Rye

Latest posts

Back