ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Debit Card Numbers Stolen Today

BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast

Addicted to ArboristSite
We just got back from a short holiday in Mexico. Before we left I called the CC company to tell them we were going to be out of town and the recorded message said that their 'state of the art" security system made informing them of travel plans unnecessary.

Canada has pretty much become a cashless society. Everybody uses debit cards. Go to a restaurant, they bring a wireless debit card (requires a chip) reader to the table. Insert the card, it calculates your tip, punch in your PIN and out spits the receipt. Easy peasy.

All the banks are on the same debit card network, but there are only six large banks in Canada (and a bunch of credit unions) and they are highly regulated.

USMC615

USMC615

Wood's Tougher Than Woodpecker Lips...
We just got back from a short holiday in Mexico. Before we left I called the CC company to tell them we were going to be out of town and the recorded message said that their 'state of the art" security system made informing them of travel plans unnecessary.

Canada has pretty much become a cashless society. Everybody uses debit cards. Go to a restaurant, they bring a wireless debit card (requires a chip) reader to the table. Insert the card, it calculates your tip, punch in your PIN and out spits the receipt. Easy peasy.

All the banks are on the same debit card network, but there are only six large banks in Canada (and a bunch of credit unions) and they are highly regulated.
Sounds good...but if the service was not where it should've been, I'd have a problem with a pre-figured tip figured into the equation. Does it allow you to choose tip/gratuity amount before you finally hit the pay button?

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

100% USDA certified abnormality-free.
Depends on who's looking for me.....and why.
Alright Dano, time for you to check out and go to bed. I'll probably pick up a few likes on this recommendation, whatcha rectum?? Night, night, retired dude...and stuff.

I tend to sleep in bits & pieces. Been doing that for a long time. Don't think it's going to change anytime soon.

It was a challenge when I was working, but now that I'm RETIRED, it's not such a big deal.

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

Way long ago, prior to the 7th grade, I knew that I wasn't parent material for a host of reasons. That feeling stayed with me for a very long time and didn't change.

As I grew older, I was concerned that it hadn't changed and that I was getting old enough to marry and start a family. Anyways, I met a gal (my wife) and she already had a kid. He was 7 or 8 at the time.

I told her of my feelings about not wanting a kid of my own and she was okay with it. I was still a bit concerned that my feelings still might change later in life. They didn't and I'm relieved.

I know lots of others that had children, and shouldn't have. Seen what kids can do to a marriage as well. It's a huge responsibility and shouldn't be taken so lightly as often as it is.

svk

A little bit of everything
Way long ago, prior to the 7th grade, I knew that I wasn't parent material for a host of reasons. That feeling stayed with me for a very long time and didn't change.

As I grew older, I was concerned that it hadn't changed and that I was getting old enough to marry and start a family. Anyways, I met a gal (my wife) and she already had a kid. He was 7 or 8 at the time.

I told her of my feelings about not wanting a kid of my own and she was okay with it. I was still a bit concerned that my feelings still might change later in life. They didn't and I'm relieved.

I know lots of others that had children, and shouldn't have. Seen what kids can do to a marriage as well. It's a huge responsibility and shouldn't be taken so lightly as often as it is.
You are a good man for sticking to your feelings. More than a few men don't want kids and end up being more or less forced into it by their wives and then two or three years later they are divorced.

I have a friend who was adamant that he was only having two. They couldn't manage their parental duties with two and are now having their 4th. Not surprisingly they have the meanest kid I've ever met due to a lack of parenting.

I wanted three boys and we had three boys. We didn't take the "ultimate" precaution and were blessed with two little girls. We are now out of the pool so to say.

When we were expecting our 5th I met a fellow with 5 grown kids. He told me this quote which will always stick with me. He said "if I had known how much fun kids were I would have had 5 more".

stihlaficionado

stihlaficionado

God of ArboristSite

I married into a ready made family too: two kids.

This presents a different set of challenges as there are two parental units(birth mother & father, step mother & father)

Reactions: svk
1Alpha1

1Alpha1

You are a good man for sticking to your feelings. More than a few men don't want kids and end up being more or less forced into it by their wives and then two or three years later they are divorced.

I have a friend who was adamant that he was only having two. They couldn't manage their parental duties with two and are now having their 4th. Not surprisingly they have the meanest kid I've ever met due to a lack of parenting.

I wanted three boys and we had three boys. We didn't take the "ultimate" precaution and were blessed with two little girls. We are now out of the pool so to say.

When we were expecting our 5th I met a fellow with 5 grown kids. He told me this quote which will always stick with me. He said "if I had known how much fun kids were I would have had 5 more".

Funny strange that you should mention that about me sticking to my guns in regards to my feelings. I've had lots of people say similar things when I told them how I felt about kids of my own.

I never really thought all that much about why I felt like I did. I just felt that way and stuck to it. Very few things in my life were as strong as that feeling was.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm in my early 30s and single. Just me and a dog. So I guess past the "normal" age.
I'm fine with it at this point. Maybe one day, who knows.

spacemule

spacemule

The Peanut Gallery
Website
Visit site
The advice I have seen say to use credit cards, not debit cards. I don't know why. Also with all the skimmers working the gas stations they say pay inside.

Harry K
The laws are different from credit cards. By law, you are only liable for the first $50 of fraudulent credit card purchases, so long as you report it in a reasonable time, and most credit card companies have a zero liability policy. As I understand it, the same doesn't apply to debit cards. Secondly, and this is just common sense, when you use credit cards to make purchases, you're using the card company's money. When you use debit cards, you're using your own money. Shutting off credit access is not as harmful as shutting off bank access and having to replace depleted bank account money.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yeah makes sense. I don't have any credit cards, just the one debit card. I mostly buy stuff in cash aside from mail order.

spacemule

spacemule

The Peanut Gallery
Website
Visit site
Plenty of people prefer cash. I've gotten to where I prefer cards. I don't pay interest on them because I pay in full every month. They save me money. I have rewards cards I get as much as 5% cash back. Discover has rotating 5% cash back categories. Right now it's gas and transportation. That 5% adds up quick. I've also got a PenFed card that offers 5% cash back on fuel purchases year round.