Decent price for machine sharpening service?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! What did you pay for it?

As he advertises, it was $7 per chain (when you send in 10 or more) plus tax. I had 14 so it was just over $100 after taxes. No shipping charge back to me.

My local dealer charges $8 of more and takes a week or more. They don’t clean the chains either, at least not to the level Razzorsharp does.

Well, I have my nice sign by the road, the cars slow down to look at it but it seems it will only serve as just that; a nice sign by the road.
I work slow, thorough and accurately with everything I do and I know it would be a good service, but what does that help when no one gives it a try.
Seems I'd be better off sitting on a chair playing the accordion with my hat upside down in front of me hoping for someone to toss a coin...

Well, I have my nice sign by the road, the cars slow down to look at it but it seems it will only serve as just that; a nice sign by the road.
I work slow, thorough and accurately with everything I do and I know it would be a good service, but what does that help when no one gives it a try.
Seems I'd be better off sitting on a chair playing the accordion with my hat upside down in front of me hoping for someone to toss a coin...

I tried this 2 years ago. A bust! The occasional user wears the chain til it polishes the wood, then buys a new chain. Regular users figure it out and do their own.

We might be upgrading to a newer machine here in the near future and selling one of our older models if any of ya fellas might be interested, just puttin that out there, god bless

BC they slowed down and looked which is a good thing. People remember signs and hopefully will come to see you when they need a chain sharpened.

I’d buy a cheapo sharpener for doing the rakers. If you have singles to sharpen on demand it’s not worth your time to swap wheels and stuff.
local shop here is up to $12 and folks say they suck bad. That’s almost exactly the mark up on a new stihl chain in 16-18” so I see their reasoning.
close to tempting me into business.

Just curious, what is different on the newer machines, or what wears out on the old ones?

Philbert
I’ve got a stihl USG that was my uncles and then mine. Late 70’s model I suppose. You have to flick the wheel in the direction you want it to spin now. Other than that it runs like a new one. I’m assuming it will last another 30 years, but I’d bet for its life it’s maybe done a chain every week. I’d bet if you ran a shop around here you’d do a lot more sharpening!

Just curious, what is different on the newer machines, or what wears out on the old ones?

Philbert
Really to be honest absolutely nothing But a plug. I want 2 newer machines due to the fact that they come with the special plug system as to where you can Do other types of chains such as 3/4 and specialty chains. The suckie part is that each adaptor for the new machines can cost up to $7,000 , which is crazy but what ya gonna do.
Otherwise I wouldn’t even think about selling them.

I’ve got a stihl USG that was my uncles and then mine.
I have a general idea of what wears, and what has changed with basic grinders. But little knowledge of these $20K machines. Was just curious if there were updates, and how they hold up from a long term value perspective.

Philbert

I have a general idea of what wears, and what has changed with basic grinders. But little knowledge of these $20K machines. Was just curious if there were updates, and how they hold up from a long term value perspective.

Philbert
Yea I figured that out after the fact.

My dealer has the same one as Jeremy. They do a pretty good job on chains I have taken in. I don't think they do quite the job Jeremy does but they do pretty good. I've watched the fella that does them and he checks the pretty close to make sure they are right. I think they are at $6.50 a loop

BC they slowed down and looked which is a good thing. People remember signs and hopefully will come to see you when they need a chain sharpened.

Thanks Steve,
Things have started to turn, first there was a good guy I know from the local national day volunteers team he came with a harvester chain - my first job:happybanana:
Oh man those have some solid teeth, I worked on it all night just to touch it up. Of course there was some prestige about doing it and I'm a slow working perfectionist.
I said if I was just to touch it up that was like 5 dollas, he gave me 10 with a smile. I guess he knew that it was a little more work than the average 13" .325 around here.

Second there was a guy working for a nearby neighbor, he came with a Jonsered 2252 with a damaged chain and wanted to collect the saw two days later ready to run.
He said to give my nearby neighbor the bill :innocent: Well today I did and he was kinda surprised and said; I just mounted a new chain on that saw and told him to be careful :laugh:
Anyway, I walked home with 5 more chains in my one hand and an old Jonsered 535 in my other that he wanted me to get running.

Also I'm soon to be presented in the local newspaper that have probably about 150 readers :yes: I got a call from the editor he wanted to know more about my nice sign.
So things have started turning, I don't make much money but I get in touch with the locals and do what I'm interested in. In my own pace which is essential to me.
I actually think this will be a part of my life in the future, seems like I have something going that the locals might appreciate.

I wish you all a splendid morning, day or night.

Thanks Steve,
Things have started to turn, first there was a good guy I know from the local national day volunteers team he came with a harvester chain - my first job:happybanana:
Oh man those have some solid teeth, I worked on it all night just to touch it up. Of course there was some prestige about doing it and I'm a slow working perfectionist.
I said if I was just to touch it up that was like 5 dollas, he gave me 10 with a smile. I guess he knew that it was a little more work than the average 13" .325 around here.

Second there was a guy working for a nearby neighbor, he came with a Jonsered 2252 with a damaged chain and wanted to collect the saw two days later ready to run.
He said to give my nearby neighbor the bill :innocent: Well today I did and he was kinda surprised and said; I just mounted a new chain on that saw and told him to be careful :laugh:
Anyway, I walked home with 5 more chains in my one hand and an old Jonsered 535 in my other that he wanted me to get running.

Also I'm soon to be presented in the local newspaper that have probably about 150 readers :yes: I got a call from the editor he wanted to know more about my nice sign.
So things have started turning, I don't make much money but I get in touch with the locals and do what I'm interested in. In my own pace which is essential to me.
I actually think this will be a part of my life in the future, seems like I have something going that the locals might appreciate.

I wish you all a splendid morning, day or night.
Sounds great BC. Glad it's working out.

Back