Deciphering Stihl Guide Bar Numbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all of the information. So I currently have a bar that's listed as:
16"
(3003-002-7013)

If I keep my existing sprocket I can now use any bar that begins with 3003 and is also .063/.325. Sounds correct?

Thanks for all of the information. So I currently have a bar that's listed as:
16"
(3003-002-7013)

If I keep my existing sprocket I can now use any bar that begins with 3003 and is also .063/.325. Sounds correct?

Yes, but you don't have to stick with .063 gauge if you don't want to.

the gauge is unimportant to the sprocket or the saw. It is a personal preference usually based on availability. If you have a .325 sprocket you can put any gauge bar with the right mount and pitch on there, the sprocket only determines the pitch (.325 in your case)

The gauge of the chain and the gauge of the bar should probably match. One other thing to watch for is too much bar for too little saw. Can't really go bad the other way - too much saw for too little bar. That just makes for real quick cuts and some imprssive pictures. Picture an 090 with a 16" bar going through a 12" cant.

You should be able to ask your dealer for a bar with the gauge, length and pitch (if it is a sprocket tipped bar) and they can match your need to the part number.

Hal

Last edited:
the first 4 digits is the mounting. 3003, 3005, 3002 the most common

middle three digits the country of origin. 000- Ger. 008-US

end four digits is the prt number like 8822 etc.

Thanks for the information. Up until recently I didn't need to know that much about it since my friend had a Stihl dealership. I would just bring the "toys" in and he would do the rest. Now the shop is gone and he's moved on. So now it's about time that I learned this stuff for myself. I'm currently working on a 028 AV Super that I picked up on E-bay so all of the advice is well appreciated. :clap:

Back