Decision Time: 3120xp or ms880 for milling only

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csmillingnoob

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I turned down a job a few months ago. Rich guy with a competitive shooting farm (pigeons and zzbirds) wants a huge pecan milled into live edge slabs. Averages about 36" inches with some swells to about 40". I told him thanks but no thanks, my 390xp can't/won't handle it. Apparently everyone else in the area said no as well. He came back and said he would give me $2000.00 to buy a saw and pay my normal fees. I might be a sucker but . . .

I'm a Husqvarna fan and I can get a 3120xp much lower priced than an ms880. Can then spend the balance on associated goodies like an extra clutch and a big bar. I like my Husqvarna service/dealer (though his best sawman recently died from covid). Plus. I also have a number of 3/8ths .050 bars up to 42" that will fit the husqvarna mount and can be used on smaller trees than this one which I believe will take a .404 .363

However, a few things make me look at the 880: (1) front tensioner; (2) clutch reportedly makes chain removal/replacement easier than 3120xp; (3) 3120xp reputation for being harder to re-start when hot,; and (4) a tad more horses.

The use will be solely for milling. I have no desire to hump one of these monsters around for other applications. I have never run either.

Can you guys comment on other issues to consider? experiences with either/both?

Its basically the ol ford vs. chevy argument... Your a Husky guy, you have other husky crap as well as good Husky service..stick with Husky... I would have said the same if you were a Still dude.
I have a 3120 and never had restart problems, with a sharp chain I have always had enough CC..

I Also run a 3120 and have not had hot re-start issues with this saw.
Since you have Husky mount bars, the 3120 is probably your best choice.
Given you run a 390, you can interchange power heads and bars which is nice.
The 880 has it's own special bar mount bolt pattern and you'll find a few threads of guys having trouble finding the bars they want in that mount.
I've also read the 880 needs a bit of "massaging" once out of the box to run nicely.
Anecdotally, I looked at an MS880 before aquiring the 3120... It would not start on that day .. newer saw even...(not new).... so maybe I'm biased.

The front mount chain tensioner in the 3120 is super robust and maybe the best for long bars and chains.
Also the outboard clutch will keep the saw running cooler than an inboard clutch making it a better choice for milling.

If you look here in the forum classified There is a dealer in Canada offering new 3120's for $1399 and the MS880 for $1699 both shipped at that price....He's a very reputable dealer.
I have not seen lower prices anywhere.
"Chainsawguy" is his name (Dave).

I Also run a 3120 and have not had hot re-start issues with this saw.
Since you have Husky mount bars, the 3120 is probably your best choice.
Given you run a 390, you can interchange power heads and bars which is nice.
The 880 has it's own special bar mount bolt pattern and you'll find a few threads of guys having trouble finding the bars they want in that mount.
I've also read the 880 needs a bit of "massaging" once out of the box to run nicely.
Anecdotally, I looked at an MS880 before aquiring the 3120... It would not start on that day .. newer saw even...(not new).... so maybe I'm biased.

The front mount chain tensioner in the 3120 is super robust and maybe the best for long bars and chains.
Also the outboard clutch will keep the saw running cooler than an inboard clutch making it a better choice for milling.

If you look here in the forum classified There is a dealer in Canada offering new 3120's for $1399 and the MS880 for $1699 both shipped at that price....He's a very reputable dealer.
I have not seen lower prices anywhere.
"Chainsawguy" is his name (Dave).
Thanks Andy.

Running cooler is definitely a big plus here in South Georgia. And yeah, Dave is the reason the 3120xp price tag is so favorable. I figure I can buy a big bar and a .3/8 clutch with the price difference. Run the .404 clutch with the new, big bar and the 3/8 with all my existing bar.

I hear some ******** about the 3120xp non-adjustable hi jet? Is it really an issue?

I feel the same way, if your a staunch brand guy then it really shouldn't be a question.
I have an older 088 and have tried an ms880 and it seems anemic compared to the 088.
Oilers and adjustable carburetors would be my concern for longevity? But hey mill the wood and if you smoke the 3120 someone else paid for it , it should at least last the job.
I'm sure someone makes an adjustable carburetor for it or some porter knows.

I turned down a job a few months ago. Rich guy with a competitive shooting farm (pigeons and zzbirds) wants a huge pecan milled into live edge slabs. Averages about 36" inches with some swells to about 40". I told him thanks but no thanks, my 390xp can't/won't handle it. Apparently everyone else in the area said no as well. He came back and said he would give me $2000.00 to buy a saw and pay my normal fees. I might be a sucker but . . .

I'm a Husqvarna fan and I can get a 3120xp much lower priced than an ms880. Can then spend the balance on associated goodies like an extra clutch and a big bar. I like my Husqvarna service/dealer (though his best sawman recently died from covid). Plus. I also have a number of 3/8ths .050 bars up to 42" that will fit the husqvarna mount and can be used on smaller trees than this one which I believe will take a .404 .363

However, a few things make me look at the 880: (1) front tensioner; (2) clutch reportedly makes chain removal/replacement easier than 3120xp; (3) 3120xp reputation for being harder to re-start when hot,; and (4) a tad more horses.

The use will be solely for milling. I have no desire to hump one of these monsters around for other applications. I have never run either.

Can you guys comment on other issues to consider? experiences with either/both?
Sorry to hear above a sawman dying ,how old was he? Wife and kids?

I dont personally have a non adjustable jet issue, unless you porting it it wont/shouldn't be an issue. I would personally also give the nod to the 3120, for the same reasons mentioned above, you have husqy large bar mount saw already, it's cheaper and will handle the job you need it to. The plus side is it's free. Both are great saws tbh.

Thanks Andy.

Running cooler is definitely a big plus here in South Georgia. And yeah, Dave is the reason the 3120xp price tag is so favorable. I figure I can buy a big bar and a .3/8 clutch with the price difference. Run the .404 clutch with the new, big bar and the 3/8 with all my existing bar.

I hear some ******** about the 3120xp non-adjustable hi jet? Is it really an issue?

The previous owner of my saw had the high jet adjustment screw installed On the carb... it works fine but... for milling... a fixed factory jet combined with factory limited coil might even be preferable....for milling . :D

I have a lot more Stihl saws overall, but I wouldn’t trade my 3120xp for anything currently on the market as a milling powerhead.
I cut a couple dozen 4x8 and 6x6 oak beams this past Sunday afternoon in 95+ degree heat. Only time it didn’t start first pull was when I forgot to disengage the kill switch.
Did manage to smoke a clutch last year, but other than that, it has taken what I can only describe as highly stressful prolonged use without batting an eyelash

I think I am in agreement with most here. I have Stihls and my father has Stihls and one Husky. I've never had issues with the larger / better / more $$$$ saws from either brand. My cheap Stihl has the hot starting issue, but seems to only be an issue when I run out of fuel. Also I had to adjust the idle settings a couple of times to get it to run right. My MS660 and MS880 will start in any condition with usually 2 - 3 pulls. This even means after sitting for a couple of months as well. Never had a problem while hot. Never tried a 3120 but expect it to be similar in the quality. I did not like the different sized bars etc when I went to the 880 but I only run the long / larger bars on it anyway, so don't find that a big deal. If I am milling >28" I use the 880, if <28", I use the 660. The shorter bars aren't that expensive anyway, so I could buy a 36" for my 880 as well.

Cheers Peter.

Sorry to hear above a sawman dying ,how old was he? Wife and kids?

I believe he was in his late fifties. Divorced, kids all grown. I bought my first husqvarna (used 372xp) from him off of ebay years ago. When he realized we were in the same city, he told me I had a lifetime guarantee on repairs from him personally. He was cool about doing my work or chain breaking/making while I waited, watched and learned whenever he could. The dealer didn't particularly like me being in the work areas of the shop at first, but they became cool with it. I doubt I'll have that luxury with his replacement(s).

Our city got hit real hard by coronavirus in April. It spread through two very large funerals and an infected person from both funerals spread it into our courthouse while on jury duty. At one time, our city was the nation's highest per capita deathrate in the US at that time. We went through a pretty tight local lockdown before the State issued a much softer stay at home order. Our death rate has slowed considerably since April but its like 200 out of 100,000 in the two county metro. 5 or so friends who worked in the courthouse died including a judge. Its fairly well under control here as we watch it rip through Atlanta.

I believe he was in his late fifties. Divorced, kids all grown. I bought my first husqvarna (used 372xp) from him off of ebay years ago. When he realized we were in the same city, he told me I had a lifetime guarantee on repairs from him personally. He was cool about doing my work or chain breaking/making while I waited, watched and learned whenever he could. The dealer didn't particularly like me being in the work areas of the shop at first, but they became cool with it. I doubt I'll have that luxury with his replacement(s).

Our city got hit real hard by coronavirus in April. It spread through two very large funerals and an infected person from both funerals spread it into our courthouse while on jury duty. At one time, our city was the nation's highest per capita deathrate in the US at that time. We went through a pretty tight local lockdown before the State issued a much softer stay at home order. Our death rate has slowed considerably since April but its like 200 out of 100,000 in the two county metro. 5 or so friends who worked in the courthouse died including a judge. Its fairly well under control here as we watch it rip through Atlanta.

Thats pretty high rate for the city with cdc head quarters!
Well I'm glad c-19 has slowed for you guys .
Stay safe with all the riots going on there , hate to survive a pandemic only to be killed by rioters.

Thats pretty high rate for the city with cdc head quarters!
Well I'm glad c-19 has slowed for you guys .
Stay safe with all the riots going on there , hate to survive a pandemic only to be killed by rioters.

I'm not in Atlanta.

No riots here in South Georgia. White people are a minority here. Police chiefs, Superior Court judges, majority of city council etc are African American. There was a march, but no violence. I was very proud of our community that has suffered some racial tragedies in the past

Atlanta's was very brief violence considering the event in Atlanta and the timing after George Floyd.

You’re all set now at Powerhead!
3120 with 390 On the bench!... Dang Dood... that’s some sweet kit !
Congrats!

Ryobi electric for light , light limbing and "yardwork."
Poulan 32cc for heavier limbing. Poulan it may be, but I actually love this little saw. Carry it all day and not feel it at all.
Poulan 50cc for firewood. Meh. Use it til it dies.
372xp on workbench. I stupidly burnt it up on bucking large, filthy Live Oak limbs. Late in the day. Very tired. Throwing dust and knew I should have stopped to sharpen, but with only a couple of 20" cuts remaining I chose to force it through. Stoopid, stoopid fatigue-induced decision.

Take the 2000, buy a 3120 off of the guy in Canada for 1400, than send it to huskihl in michigan and have him give it some extra sausage.

Back