ArboristSite.com Sponsors

deep planting--small sidewalk square

catharticus

catharticus

ArboristSite Lurker
This is a tough one to explain. Is it ok to plant a tree deep(not deep enough to cut off oxygen) in a small sidewalk square--knowing that it will get to a certain size and decline(girdled roots)? Some trees in a downtown setting need to grow tall enough for lower branches to be removed(for traffic clearance)--but not too large in diameter. This is for zone 3-5. Any thoughts????

catharticus

catharticus

ArboristSite Lurker
If a small tree wouldn't work and the only way to recieve the positive effects trees bring to a downtown streetscape is to plant a tree knowing it will decline.....It would be nice to have a tree that wouldn't decline in a tight spot--or get rid of bad street planners that don't consider trees and what they need to remain healthy.

catharticus

catharticus

ArboristSite Lurker
Most deeply planted trees don't decline from the begining. Usually most trees grow for 10-20 years and then start to decline from girdled roots. Some trees like Honey Locust grow new roots from the buried stem--planting a tree to watch it decline isn't my idea of a good management plan. But...in some limited applications--(with the right care) like in the small city squares in a downtown streetscape --would it provide benefits, enough to warrent planting a tree that would decline after 10-20 years? I'm asking this question because my former employer--not educated at Point--tried to talk me into the idea ---- I'm interested in hearing what other people in the industry have to say about it.....Thanks!! not a L.A>pointer>>catharticus

catharticus

catharticus

ArboristSite Lurker
Forgot to answer your question with that long response.....most trees will look totally normal until they hit that 10-20 year mark --- so a tree will provide shade-- a cooling effect associated with transpiration...etc.. if you need more info. try reading some of Dr. Alex Shigo's books. Sorry if you knew this stuff already--Thanks---

Ray Morneau

Ray Morneau

ArboristSite Lurker
Very good question you ask. Very important to ask good questions.

I can't put my finger on it, of course. But when Bailey Hudson was City Arborist in Santa Maria (He's now ISA president - or elect - or such) -- He did a study which was written up in the Journal of Arboricuilture in which they planted trees deep in the tree cut-outs with good results -- not burying the root flares with soil, but maybe keeping the soil in the planter "boxes" lower than the surrounding sidewalk.

I'd suggest contacting Bailey &/or Santa Maria's current City Arborist. This is one of those things one (I) wishes had a follow-up write up.

There's a lot being done right now with structural soils, too. (See Cornell, Nina Bassack (sp?), Dave Dockter (City of Palo Alto), and such.

I wish there was a magic-wand-answer for your question! Good luck with that project.

Ray Morneau