ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Deer seasons have ended, coyote hunting time.

alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
When deer season is over and we have access to many farms here in Michigan where we hunt coyotes.
Gaining acess to hunt coyotes is normally easy.

Once at the farm and the truck doors are shut there is no talking. We use our own signs and signals to commutate here in with each other.

We all have a bit of masonary line frayed at the end hanging from our rifle slings to detect wind and direction, pay attention to it as wind swirles in many areas. Attention to sling swivels so they do not squeak or rattle.

Snow less than 6 inches just hoof it to the set no problem, snow over 6 inches and we have a 400 or more yard hike we use skis, real cross crounty ones we have made from the wider down hill skis with home made bindings. Works up to about 18 to 24 inches depending on the snow wet or dry fluffy stuff.
Over 24 inches we go to snow shoes, I like the narrow longer ones my self.

Carry gear in a back pack but keep the weight down so only things in them are a set of Binocs (mine is 10x50 Minoltas OLD.) I carry a range finder so I can work out ranges to trees rock piles and things so I have an idea how far away the coyote is. A rolled up bit of plastic, we roll the coyotes in it to drag out even on dry ground they drag easier that way. A coil of 1/4 inch rope to tie the plastic off and make a drag harness.
I carry the caller in the back pack a GC 350 by IOC TEC. also the decoy a Weasle ball and a base (oak 2"x12" x12") for frozed ground or deep loose fluffy snow.
A home made seating pad. good for a 30 minutes set on frozen ground.

Also in the pack is my made just for me first aid kit. My friends made it up for me after I had knee surgery and the insission had only been healing about 4 weeks and I got tangled in some thick grass during a ground hog hunt and fall on a big broken tree branch with a stub that opened up the insission and I bled like a stuck hog.

The first aid kit they made for me includes, two maxie pads, half a dozen extra large gauze pads, a dog collar that can wrap around my thigh and be a tourniquet, A roll of duct tape rolled smaller on a dowel to fit in the kit. A spool of dental floss and a couple of straight and a couple of curved neddles so I can stitch my self up if need be.
It is nice to have friends who worry about you.

Shooting sticks, Mine are made like Varmint Al's Bi Fur Pod sticks off his web page varmintal's.com .
You can sit, you can stand you can move them in any direction easy. I have a 1/4 inch chunk of nylon rope so they only spred so far and works as a sling to carry them. No added weight to the rifle.

Good rifle and optics what ever you like and is accrite to at least 300 yards here in Michigan.
My go to rifle is a Rugar 77V medium weight barrel in 220 swift, Hand loadded ammo to 3808 FPS wearing a Simmons 6x18 scope and a home made sun shade that is easy to remove or add.
For windy days I switch to a Remington 700 bdl in 243 hand loaded 85 gr bullets to just a tad over 2800FPS wearing a Bushnell Banner 3x9 BDC scope and home made sun shade.

Key is to pratice with the ammo you have,know where it will hit. pratice the postions you may have to shoot from and if you don't reload pratice with any new ammo you buy to make sure it is the same as the last box.

Every one in the group is pretty much equiped the same way.

Find a fur buyer, is nice to make some Ch Ching while having fun.

:D Al

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
There is a land fill about 200 yards across the street from my urban home. No shortage of coyotes even in urban areas around here. I never see them as there behind the property across the street and I can't see past the building across the street. But at night when a emergency vehicle has there siren going down the road they all start howling. It sounds like several dozen at least. I don't know what they are feeding on as there is not much wild life over there and the land fill is all building material, no house hold trash. But they have been there for years. I wish I had access to sit on top of that building because the land fill is 200 feet above ground and about a mile long and a half mile wide so the hill would make a great back stop.

alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
We would do a scouting trip around the land fill if we could gain access to property around the area. Find some likely spots to set up minding the wind and call them.

We many times use two callers and some times some odd pairings of different sounds.
Our hot ticket sound for 2019 was a piglet in distress even though there are no wild pigs in the areas we hunt.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
We would do a scouting trip around the land fill if we could gain access to property around the area. Find some likely spots to set up minding the wind and call them.

We many times use two callers and some times some odd pairings of different sounds.
Our hot ticket sound for 2019 was a piglet in distress even though there are no wild pigs in the areas we hunt.

The land fill is privet property, All the surrounding land is also privet property, and surrounded by houses. No way to legally hunt them unless I was to get written permission from both the land fill owners and an adjacent property owners. No way to safely shoot form the land fill outward so I would have to shoot form the outside into the land fill. If I owned land that was directly connected to the land fill, I could wait for the coyote's to come onto my property to get a legal safe shot. Otherwise, there is no other way to legally hunt them. But they are there in big numbers.

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
Deer season Stihl in here. Bow and muzzle loader. Have never seen any yotes here even when I had sheep but a guy I have been getting wood from about 3 miles away says he hears them all the time. My one buddy shot one the first day of buck season about 10 miles north of me which was about 3 miles from my dad's farm. Guess I'll have to break out the old rabbit squealer.

SuperDuty04

SuperDuty04

ArboristSite Operative
Me and my youngest are ready for some yote hunting too. We can hunt them year around but with the breeding season starting, it makes it much more exciting. I use a couple of Fox Pro ecallers and remote control decoys, they'll set their sights on the decoy moving and nothing else matters. Nailed two grey fox last year as well. Seen a massive red fox last night, his ass will be mine soon.

Hunting yotes is exciting. You never know what kind of predator you might call in, a coyote, fox, bobcat, mountain lion, possibly a bear, just never know. One year On the blackest of nights, deep in the woods, I was calling for coyotes by myself and heard a pack of yotes calling back. Shortly later my light quit working and couldn't even see my hand in front of my face. Had one lone critter sneak within 10 feet of me, couldn't see a thing. The hair on my neck was standing up cause I didn't know what was about to happen. Then, it just walked off. Was an exciting night!

I use to have a very nice night vision scope mounted on one of my AR-15's but actually prefer a red light instead. The night vision ruined my night eyes so I sold it.

Think I'll take my boy tonight and see if we can't nail that red fox.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
that is what you need to do with the land fill coyotes ask for permission form home around it then hunt.

Can't legally shoot on to privet property from adjacent property without permission from both. Besides I don't care much for hunting anymore. I never trophy hunted and I really don't care to just kill something just for sport. I did shoot 3 tree rats today that crossed the boundary line in my front yard though. lol
I never understood the trophy hunting thing, just to have a dead animal hanging on my wall. If it's a pest that is directly effecting me or I can eat it, I'm good with just letting it be. Now if they become a problem that effects me, it's different. If the squirrels are not doing damage to my property I wouldn't be shooting them ether. But they get in my shop and chew on my security camera wires so I keep them thinned out for that reason only. Otherwise I live and let live. I don't judge others if they want to hunt for there own reasons. I respect that.

Big Red Oaks 4 me

Big Red Oaks 4 me

Fun with flying wood chips
I’ve had cameras out since July. Deer seem to have vanished from my area. You can go about 5 miles away and find some deer, but they are “spotty”. I recently checked my cameras, and there are some BIG coyotes on the place now.

esshup

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
allyyooper, thanks for the post and info. Lots of 'yotes here, I have 3 in one picture from behind the house.

One thing you may want to add to the first aid kit is an Israeli Bandage. It is an elastic compression bandage that is around 6: wide, 70" long and has quick clotting material in it. One person can apply it and it will stop bleeding quick. I have one in my milk crate that I have my chainsaw supplies in. It's double vacuum packed so it stays sterile. You can also buy quick clot pads to replace the maxi pads.

alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
The maxi pads were my friends Idea of a joke on me. I did bleed a lot that day and was in the field with no more that a nose blowing rag.

I sat down and used wads of grass and boot laces till I got back to my truck.

I got 6 stiches at ER later, is why I got the neddles and we sew up the coyote hides with dental floos is why I got that. But I try to make sure that kit is with in reach any time I am out doors, hunting fishing or other.

ATpro

ATpro

ArboristSite Operative
Soon be time for coyote and pig hunting around here. We do it at night with a electronic caller and a depreciation permit which allows you to hunt them at night. It's not a problem getting a place to hunt, people call you, just have to have the Property and Land Owner listed on the permit you apply far. The funny thing is what you call up sometimes. I can start up the Vole sound which is a rodent sound and Deer will come to the call. You have to be careful in what you shoot. I don't know what they think it is but it's dope for deer, sometimes you can't run them off.

hanniedog

hanniedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
Friend of mine has a spot in fenceline near his house where he drops road kill deer. Has a driveway alarm set that goes off in his bedroom telling of a visitor. Bang its over.

alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
That is how we got so many farms to hunt to start. My friend john now gone was in a feed elavator getting some cattle feed ground. Farmers were talking about coyotes coming in and eatting grain right out of the feed bunks mid day.
John volunteered us to take care of the problem. That farmer told other farmers of the work we did and the care we used around his farm. So other farmers started calling us, the 3 of us them grew to 12 then Amy went off to college 2 years ago, John passed 2 years ago July and mikie passed in June so we are down to 9 now and are up to almost 40 farms we can hunt just giving them a call and saying we are going to drop by.

We have did a couple night hunts but not to where we like doing it.
We have also hunted close areas and used #4 buck in our shot guns but also some thing we like to do.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
I woke up this morning and there was three squirrels playing in a tree, within the zone. Three quick shoots in a row and there sleeping now. ;););)

motorhead99999

motorhead99999

Jeepin tree man
We have been thinning out coyotes around here lately. Hard now cuz the snow just all melted. So far this year shot 6 yotes a grey fox and two bobcats. All with 22-250 except one yote with 270.

alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
We hunt all ther time with out snow.
We have a hard time after spring green up and all the leaves on and tall green grass.
Usually quit tillthe farmers take off hay.