• ArboristSite has decided that due to the abusive interactions users are having with each other in the political forum, we will no longer be providing a place to talk politics on this forum. Any political posts will be deleted once discovered or reported to us. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Deer seasons have ended, coyote hunting time.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
Shot 3 squirrels yesterday morning and had them laying outside the back door. One turned up missing before dark and the other 2 were gone this morning. Walked out my front door this morning only to see a big hawk fly away that was sitting just outside my door. Damn thing killed my favorite chicken. Strange because this chicken never leaves the coop but the door was open and I bet that hawk went in the coop and got her. The hawk flew around and lit in a tree so I grabbed my .22 but he stayed to far away for me to get a shot.
Got my front door open and my 12ga sitting next to the door loaded with # 4's. I don't care what the law says if he comes back and I can get a shot, I'm takin his ass out. Damn thing got my best friendliest bird.
I think a cat got the squirrels cause the hawk would have been full eating 3 squirrels in one day.

CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sorry for your loss. I lose some birds to raptors but it is usually the bantams that take the hit. Heavy breeds do get smacked but the hawks usually get nothing more than a bunch of feathers. As a side note, last time I checked, all raptors are protected like at the federal level. Big fine. Be careful what you post online.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sorry for your loss. I lose some birds to raptors but it is usually the bantams that take the hit. Heavy breeds do get smacked but the hawks usually get nothing more than a bunch of feathers. As a side note, last time I checked, all raptors are protected like at the federal level. Big fine. Be careful what you post online.

Hey I can threaten all I want. They have to have proof I actually commuted the crime.
I have been scanning the security cam footage but no luck so far. It was between 11'00 am and 3;00 pm but so far no luck seeing it happen.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite

I don't know the fine print of the law and I know they are protected from sport hunting. But if they are killing your livestock, there should be some prevision for that. My chickens are classified as livestock under the law, and That is a prime source of my food and income. Seems there should be some kind of prevision for protecting your livestock against predictors that are killing your livestock.
Wolf are protected but if they are killing your livestock you are allowed to shoot them.

I googled and you can kill them if you get a permit.

First, you need to know that hawks are protected in the United States under the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 (16 USC, 703-711). It is illegal to harm them, or to hunt, trap, cage, shoot, or poison them without a permit. Doing so is punishable as a misdemeanor and with fines of up to $15,000.

I called the Texas Wildlife Information Management Services and they do give permits under certain conditions. But the person I talked to gave me the number for my county so I will have to call them tomorrow since it was after 5 pm.
I will call tomorrow and see what they say.

And making wishful threats about killing protected wildlife is not illegal unless you actually commit the crime.

alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Get your self a longer distance 22 center fire then old hawk can't sit in a tree and give you the finger.
I recommend a 220 swift or a 22-250 for common varmint control.
and I like the 22/308 for a cross breed rifle round.

:D Al

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
Get your self a longer distance 22 center fire then old hawk can't sit in a tree and give you the finger.
I recommend a 220 swift or a 22-250 for common varmint control.
and I like the 22/308 for a cross breed rifle round.

The hawks can see me long before I can see them, and there skidish so They fly away long before I can get set up for a shot. I can head shoot a squirrel at 100 yards very easy with my .22 as long as the squirrel isn't moving.
But with a shotgun I can get a hawk on the fly and not wait for one to perch somewhere I can use a rifle.
Besides I can't shoot any high powered guns in an urban area. Gotta always be aware of whats down range, ALWAYS. Even with my .22 and shooting shorts I have to pass up a lot of squirrel shots because down range is not clear. I've been using cilibris with very good results for squirrels even as far out as 100 yards. I could head shoot a hawk at 100 yards with a .22 but again down range has to be clear.
If there within 100 yards I can get one with my 12ga with #4's. I live in an urban area, not the country.
Down range clearance is always priority one.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
Texas is so big didn't have an idea you lived in a subdvision that allowed chickens.

Around where I'm at everyone has 4 to 10 acre lots so it's not like one of those jammed up suburbs where every house is 10 feet apart. But there are houses and out buildings, shops, barns scattered every which way on every lot. Many have gardens, horses, horse barns, goats, cows, chickens and all kinds of dogs, cats and people wandering around on there property. Some are open lots with little to no trees, others like mine have several hundred trees, to all wooded lots. So everything is spread out a bit but it's still not far to the next house.
Plus you never know who may be walking around on there lot or in there yard. Gotta watch out for other farm animals as well. My lot is only 4 acres so the longest shot I can get and stay on my property is a few 100 yards so I can't just shoot in any direction. Many times I have to pass up a shot because down range is not clear. Many times it's so wooded you can't actually see anything but trees, but in those trees could be anything from a house, barn or like I said someone out in there garden. I can short .22 shorts pretty safely and pellet guns just about any direction, but anything bigger then that you have to be very very careful witch direction your shooting. Shotguns don't travel very far so I can shoot light loads like #8's and #9's but nothing that will be harmful at longer ranges. I have to be very selective.
The good news is no one hunts around here so there are plenty of squirrels and dove to shoot.
I have over 100 oaks on my place alone, and most lots have plenty of oaks as well, so the squirrels are everywhere.
I keep my small birds pinned up with a covered top but I let my bigger birds free range. My place is fenced in with a 6 foot 2x4 horse wire and a six foot cedar fence up against that. So it has to climb, or fly over to get on my property. I had a horse for 18 years but she just died a few months ago. So we are urban rural so to speak.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
In the past 2 weeks I have shot several dozen squirrels and I'm looking out my window right now and I see 7 or 8 running around the yard this morning. Seems the more of them I shoot, the more show up and take there place. The squirrels are an endless supply around here.
Come dove season, I can sit on my porch and shoot my limit everyday with a pellet gun.
In fact there are several dozen dove sittin in my yard right now along with the squirrels running everywhere.
I have to keep the squirrels thinned out or I get so many they start tearing up stuff to make there nest with. They love to chew on my security camera wires and get in the walls of my barn and collect insulation for there nest building. Thats why I have to keep them culled down to a manageable level. I get a lot of opossums as well. Not many recons but a few skunks will show up.
Lots a feral cats come through at night so thats why I lock up my birds at night and have a chicken cam in the chicken coop and chicken run so I can keep an eye on them at night.
When I had dogs they would keep most the squirrels in the trees and the feral cats and opossums away. But I'm dog less right now so they don't feel threatened to roam around at night. The hawks can have all the squirrels they want, I don't mind them getting those pesky little tree rats, but it's winter and many hawks have migrated down for the winter so we have plenty of them here in the winter. In the summer there not so bad because many of them move back up north. The land fill across the road are full of coyote but I rarely see a deer around here. The coyotes keep the deer population down. I can drive to my friends house about 30 miles away and the deer are as thick there as the squirrels are around here.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've been using Aguila supper colibri .22 ammo with very good results with a scope out to about 50 yards.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506295321

They are slow at only 590fps and are about 20gr solid rounds. They are supper quiet and even slower then my pellet rifle. But my pellet rifle sound as loud as a .22 LR so I like the colibri's because they are silent and very low power witch helps when there is something down range that I don't want something that travels very far.
I just have to be very selective on what I shoot and what direction I shoot in.
The supper colibris are very accurate though they do drop quite a bit at a distance. They do shoot strait as far as windage so they don't drift off to the side but they do drop pretty quick. So I have learned to use my mill dots quite well and I can head shoot a squirrel at 50 yard pretty easy if there sitting still. We are kinda country ish but not a urban subdivision ether. We are spread out a bit, but I still have to be very selective when shooting.