Depth Gauge Tools for Saw Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get why the progressive depth guage are chain specific, as the distance between tooth and link and height could vary mfr to mfr, but I don't get how the roller guides can be chain specific, beyond the guage and angle mattering. All they have to do is sit parallel to the bar? What else am I missing in thier design?

I don't go thru enough chain to justify spending money on all these specific sharpeners, plus I have enough chain in useable shape lying around that I probably won't but any for the next 5 years minimum, but also have no clue what brand or style each one is, so I'm on the hunt for universal tools, even if they're a little harder to use.

I am told the chain widths vary somewhat between manufacturers. My Husky roller guides are a super tight fit on my Stihl chains, sometimes almost impossible to fit. IIRC there are threads on modifying these guides to fit Stihl chains by widening the slots.

Ron

Word of warning folks, I got one of the file mate style guide, and I thought i bought name brand but nope. Anyways a few days ago I was fighting to get an old chain cutting well and I busted out a straightedge and some feelers and discovered the depth setting in the guide was just way way off. My .025 guides were actually set to about. 018, no wonder the saw was a dog.

I'm in the market for a trust worthy guide now, since setting the whole chain with feelers and a straight edge took bloody forever
Get yourself a progressive style and you'll never look back.

I'm on the hunt for universal tools, even if they're a little harder to use.
The basic, 'drop' / 'offset' gauges, shown in the first few posts in this thread are pretty universal: work with all brands and pitches of chain. The OEM models (STIHL, Husqvarna, Oregon, ECHO, etc.) should be reasonably accurate.

The rest of the posts in this thread look at alternatives to that simple, basic method.

Philbert

After I borrowed my neighbors Stihl 2n1, sharpener and depth file I bought two Pferd, 5/32" and 7/32" plus a box each of round and flat replacement files. I never looked back. I started hand filing after using one of those old Oregon files that mounted to your bar and was a PITA. Pferd and Stihl I believe are made by the same company, both made in Germany, just depends if you like blue, or orange and white. I check it every now and then with a manual depth gauge and it's spot on. Used to be those were the only two on Amazon, now it's flooded with knock-offs, be careful what you order. They are especially great in the field, if you have a log vise. Pferd makes two different replacement files, if I remember, ones regular and the other aggressive. Only takes about 3 strokes.

On another note, 2nd picture, when I was looking up something in the new Echo manual, I ran across this page, this thread reminded me about it. I don't remember doing this but a few times in my life, but I will look at some of my old standby chains, just to see what they look like.

Pferd2.jpg. Echo Drive Link.JPG

Latest posts

Back