Depth Gauge Tools for Saw Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I picked up a 3/8ths lo pro roller guide locally. Is it still considered progressive?
Have not used that one, but I believe that it is progressive. I think that one side is for 'hard' wood, and the other is for 'soft' wood, not made to sit on 2 cutters on the same time. I could be wrong.

Philbert.

Have not used that one, but I believe that it is progressive. I think that one side is for 'hard' wood, and the other is for 'soft' wood, not made to sit on 2 cutters on the same time. I could be wrong.

Philbert.

I don't think you are wrong at all, but I haven't seen that exact one before. :)

This is a quite different depth gauge from the standard Husky gauge that comes on the saw. Big pictures to follow:
Doesn't look like the depth gauge on my full 3/8 or 0.325 roller guides.
raker guide 001.JPG
raker guide 002.JPG
I tried at first to use it like the depth gauges I am used too. No bueno.
raker guide 003.JPG
This is the only way I can find that it fits. And illustrating what I mean by "On two cutters"
raker guide 004.JPG
raker guide 005.JPG

Attachments

• raker guide 001.JPG
    raker guide 001.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 88
  • raker guide 002.JPG
    raker guide 002.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 87
  • raker guide 003.JPG
    raker guide 003.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • raker guide 004.JPG
    raker guide 004.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
  • raker guide 005.JPG
    raker guide 005.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 83
This is a quite different depth gauge from the standard Husky gauge that comes on the saw. Big pictures to follow:
Doesn't look like the depth gauge on my full 3/8 or 0.325 roller guides.
View attachment 426132
View attachment 426133
I tried at first to use it like the depth gauges I am used too. No bueno.
View attachment 426134
This is the only way I can find that it fits. And illustrating what I mean by "On two cutters"
View attachment 426135
View attachment 426136

Looks like it isn't what I thought it was then - but it is odd if Husky would sell a raker guide that isn't progressive - so I wonder if it really is an Husky guide? :confused:

No Husky raker guide I have seen looks that way either, and all those are progressive, adjusts each raker to the corresponding cutter, and has "hard" or "soft" options.

It is a husky guide alright. Part number: 505 69 81-03

I haven't found any other husqvarna guides that are progressive. :( File O Plates are NLA. Any other progressive guides in lo pro 3/8ths available?

Again, BobL goes into that 'constant angle' explanation in his thread. Many A.S. participants have noted that, in their experience, the cutters don't seem to cut as well when ground back at the standard depth gauge offset, so I feel that there is some credibility to this 'progressive depth gauge' idea. Since Carlton, Husqvarna, and STIHL have all sold progressive gauge tools, they must put some stock into it as well.

I usually use the standard depth gauge tools shown in the first few posts, and take off 'a little more' when the top plates are ground back a ways. I have not measured this additional amount, but try to make all cutters and depth gauges the same. Maybe not as precise, but it cuts wood.

Philbert

Exactly. Once you file cutters back several times and notice that although you also filed the depth gauges to a .025" gap, the chain will not cut well so you take off "a little more", you are progressively filing your depth gauges. Using a progressive depth gauge tool, or in my case, a digital angle finder, maintains the "drop" from cutter to depth gauge as a constant angle, not a constant depth. So measuring in terms of depth, you have to progressively file more and more off the gauge to get the same performance as when the chain was new.

I had to read BobL's thread a few times to see what all the fuss was about. But I'm a believer.

I do not have one of the Husky tools, but I'm going to get one and see how it compares to the DAF. BobL's thread started out as a discussion as to whether or not using the FOP resulted in true progressive filing, and I think he concluded it approximates progressive filing but was not quite the same thing. I have some FOPs and they do not fit well on Stihl chain. That is why I invested in a DAF, and it is great. But if the Husky tool is truly progressive, I may keep a couple of them on hand.

lambs, may I ask which pitch chain the FOP doesn't fit on? I ask because I found some 3/8ths lo pro FOPs and I need a progressive depth gauge for a yellow 3/8ths lo pro Stihl chain. Thanks!

lambs, may I ask which pitch chain the FOP doesn't fit on? I ask because I found some 3/8ths lo pro FOPs and I need a progressive depth gauge for a yellow 3/8ths lo pro Stihl chain. Thanks!

They were a Carlton product, so they were designed to fit their chain. I have both a .325 and a 3/8 FOP, but all I can tell you is that they fit pretty well on Stihl RS chain, but do not work well on RM. I do not use LP chain, so I'm sorry I cannot help you there.

Bailey's has them listed on their site for 3/8 LP at $3.59 each....I thought they were no longer available....part number is 65993. Looks like they fit Carlton and Woodland Pro. But at that price, I'd try one. Let us know if you get one and whether or not it works on your Stihl LP.

I would try as well - but it is odd if Husky no longer offer progressive ones for 3/8" lo-pro?

However, the progressive ones likely was specially made for the pretty "limited" H36/91VG though, and may been useful only on those? Now they often recommend the much better H37/91VX, at least on a saw like the T540xp.
Anyway, it looks like the one you got has "inherited" the part number, and I assume it will work on both.
I will not be surpriced if it turns out to be a short lived stop-gap solution.

I would try as well - but it is odd if Husky no longer offer progressive ones for 3/8" lo-pro?

SawTroll, are the Husky roller type tools suitable for any chain manufacturer? That would seem a better choice than an FOP, and they are commonly available. thanks.

SawTroll, are the Husky roller type tools suitable for any chain manufacturer? That would seem a better choice than an FOP, and they are commonly available. thanks.

They are all designed for specific Oregon chain, and when they work well on other chain it is pure luck.

Anyway, I don't think the combo roller/raker tool ever was made for 3/8" lo-pro, but the roller guide alone was and is.

Here is a progressive gauge that I made after reading through BobL's work. The point of the tooth fits at the back of the little block. The depth gauge setting is correct when the tool lays flat on the chain. It makes it really quick and easy to set up a chain.

Attachments

• raker gauge dimensions.JPG
    raker gauge dimensions.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 122
FOP's were chain specific. Not a big problem if you only use one or two types and brands of chains, but could be a PIA if you sharpen lots of different chains.

If you cannot find a progressive depth gauge tool, you can still use a conventional tool, and take a few extra strokes off. Or you can measure the additional amount using a feeler gauge.

Philbert

FOP's were chain specific. Not a big problem if you only use one or two types and brands of chains, but could be a PIA if you sharpen lots of different chains.

If you cannot find a progressive depth gauge tool, you can still use a conventional tool, and take a few extra strokes off. Or you can measure the additional amount using a feeler gauge.

Philbert

The problem is of course to figure out how much more, at different cutter lengths - and it will not work right anyway, on chain with some shorter cutters here and there - they all need to be exactly the same length.

You might also check out the newer STIHL FG4 which is supposed to have 'an integral fold-out filing plate' . I have not seen this in person, or used one. Not sure if they fit other brands of chain:
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/accessories/filing-tools/fg4rollerguide/

Depth gauge part starts around 4:18 in the YouTube video.

Philbert

I thought that one was discontinued after just a short time on the market? It surely is interesting, but looks a bit over-engineerd and complcated to me.

Latest posts

Back