Determining age of a Jonsered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely a 621, but with all the stickers/labels missing virtually impossible to date the saw closer than saying it's a mid 70's unit. Even with the stickers it would pretty much come down to early or late.....again not very definitive...sorry.
It has had a fair amount of use as it shows the signs of it hours by the tell tale wear …..like the crack just above the air filter.....they will all crack right there with enough use. Still likely has a lot of use left in it too.....the 621 is really about the best Jonsereds ever produced.

I do not know about any dates. I do know that because of this forum and the people on it the Jonsered 621 has become my favorite saw to use. So well made, oils plenty-I like,nice power. I own a few:sweet: LOL but never tell the ### Quit counting way back on saws...

Definitely a 621, but with all the stickers/labels missing virtually impossible to date the saw closer than saying it's a mid 70's unit. Even with the stickers it would pretty much come down to early or late.....again not very definitive...sorry.
It has had a fair amount of use as it shows the signs of it hours by the tell tale wear …..like the crack just above the air filter.....they will all crack right there with enough use. Still likely has a lot of use left in it too.....the 621 is really about the best Jonsereds ever produced.
Hi Cantdog
Thanks for the info much appreciated
Just wondering how can you tell a 621 from an 80 or a 75??
Regards John

Regards John
[/QUOTE]
Well there are a couple visuals that make the difference. First is the trigger handle...it is specific to the 621/62 twin triggers and the top mounted thumb latch trigger lock. All the rest use a single trigger and side mounted cross bolt trigger lock. The other thing to notice is the top cover....on the 621 the cover's outside edges are very noticeable chamfered.....the 80 Silver Top is nearly square in this area and the 75/751 tops are very bulbous...not at all shaped like the 621-80 top covers.

All this said and much closer inspection of your pics I can say with some degree of accuracy that yours is either a very early 621 or a 62. Due to your top cover being nearly square cornered......this was a feature of the 62 which is NEARLY the same saw as the 621 just the earliest iteration That said, I'm not sure how these saws were sold in Spain...….the Euro markets models were not always the same as those sold in NA. The reason I can't come closer is your top cover is definitely a 62 not a 621 cover but your right hand top handle mount is definitely a 621 mount not a 62. Again could be a very early 621 or the covers or mounts changed out over the years. Go here and look at these pics and you'll see what I mean between the two models. Notice the lack of rear mounted pinch bolt on the 62 top handle mount.

http://acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e...1de7dc82a4bfe1fe88256b690077d7b5?OpenDocumenthttp://acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e...11784e055d87ccf388256b690079200b?OpenDocument

Regards John
Well there are a couple visuals that make the difference. First is the trigger handle...it is specific to the 621/62 twin triggers and the top mounted thumb latch trigger lock. All the rest use a single trigger and side mounted cross bolt trigger lock. The other thing to notice is the top cover....on the 621 the cover's outside edges are very noticeable chamfered.....the 80 Silver Top is nearly square in this area and the 75/751 tops are very bulbous...not at all shaped like the 621-80 top covers.

All this said and much closer inspection of your pics I can say with some degree of accuracy that yours is either a very early 621 or a 62. Due to your top cover being nearly square cornered......this was a feature of the 62 which is NEARLY the same saw as the 621 just the earliest iteration That said, I'm not sure how these saws were sold in Spain...….the Euro markets models were not always the same as those sold in NA. The reason I can't come closer is your top cover is definitely a 62 not a 621 cover but your right hand top handle mount is definitely a 621 mount not a 62. Again could be a very early 621 or the covers or mounts changed out over the years. Go here and look at these pics and you'll see what I mean between the two models. Notice the lack of rear mounted pinch bolt on the 62 top handle mount.

http://acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e...1de7dc82a4bfe1fe88256b690077d7b5?OpenDocumenthttp://acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e...11784e055d87ccf388256b690079200b?OpenDocument[/QUOTE]
Regards John

http://acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e...1de7dc82a4bfe1fe88256b690077d7b5?OpenDocumenthttp://acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e...11784e055d87ccf388256b690079200b?OpenDocument[/QUOTE]
hello cantdog
Thank you very much for all the helpful information
Can I call on you again if I need any more help?
Regards john
P.s the chainsaw was purchased in the UK-I spend 6 months of the year in Spain and the same in the UK for work

http://acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e...1de7dc82a4bfe1fe88256b690077d7b5?OpenDocumenthttp://acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e...11784e055d87ccf388256b690079200b?OpenDocument

hello cantdog
Thank you very much for all the helpful information
Can I call on you again if I need any more help?
Regards john
P.s the chainsaw was purchased in the UK-I spend 6 months of the year in Spain and the same in the UK for work
[/QUOTE]
Definitely......Happy to give you a hand if I can. 621 is an all time favorite!! Or 62 for that matter!

20201227_193034.jpgHi Everyone, im wondering would you be able to let me know what year my 2165 was made in? Regards, Nik

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone would know what year my 670 was made, it has a 670 super sticker on it but dad can't remember if when his dad got it seconds hand it was original or not, none the less great saw it has been, every winter never skipped a beat. -Philip

Attachments

• Saw.jpg
    Saw.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 17
Sorry but according to that serial number and the color of the tag it was built in 1991, in the sixth week and it being 378th unit produced that week. Also a mid to late 80's 670 would have had a silver tag with black lettering.
Ahh ok, maybe he is remembering a different saw, he thought it may have been made before Jonsereds was sold to Electrolux, thankyou for the fast responses :).

Ahh ok, maybe he is remembering a different saw, he thought it may have been made before Jonsereds was sold to Electrolux, thankyou for the fast responses :).
This family of saws is one of the very first Husqvarna/Jonsered family of saws built. It involves the Husky 162, 61, 66, 266, 268 and 272 and Jonsered 625, 630 and 670. This family was produced from 82-83 until 1997....so a pretty long running family.....

This family of saws is one of the very first Husqvarna/Jonsered family of saws built. It involves the Husky 162, 61, 66, 266, 268 and 272 and Jonsered 625, 630 and 670. This family was produced from 82-83 until 1997....so a pretty long running family.....
Its a shame they don't make them like they used to anymore.

Its a shame they don't make them like they used to anymore.https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-20inch-58-62CC-Gas-Chainsaw-2-Cycle-Wood-Cutting-2-stroke-Gasoline-Tool-Kit/284249965572?hash=item422e9e4404:g:1t0AAOSwfY1gbsr8
No but there are piles of these saws around and with great parts interchange between models/brands and very good aftermarket supply these saw will be running a good while yet!

No but there are piles of these saws around and with great parts interchange between models/brands and very good aftermarket supply these saw will be running a good while yet!
Can only really find aftermarket in Australia, not many of these old saws around anymore, I would love to buy a few because they are so good!

Back