Deutz engines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-Maine

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Over the years I had two stump grinders with Deutz engine. Had very good luck. Was at a friends shop and he was rebuilding a 4 cyl, Deutz engine. The problem is there is no after market parts. He had to buy all parts from Deutz. He was telling me that Deutz parts are at least 3-4 times more costly than other brand engines. I guess I wont buy any more Deutz engines. Just my thoughts

Good engines.

I've had two on stump grinders and have never had any problem with them. I have heard though to pay special attention to maintenance on the outboard crankshaft bearing as cranks have been knows to snap off when exposed to high side loading. Mine were 72 and 58 hp turbo charged engines. I still have the 58 hp on a radio remote Carlton 4400. I sold my big tow behind Rayco with the 75 HP. That stumper was a beast.

i looked after a 2 cyl air cooled deutz cricket roller for a few years, and they ran it low on oil which turned the bigend shells on 1 cyl into tiny flakes (somehow the other b/e was ok)
parts were silly money so it was scrap it or codge it, i removed the mullered conrod/piston and the 2 pushrods (jubilee clip on the crankpin) and it ran on 1 cyl for the next 3 yrs :)
chug chug

+1

I put about 6000 hrs on my deutz 7110 tractor. It ran the same when I sold it at 10000 hrs as when I bought it at 4000 hrs. And those were "tach" hours, not real hours. Mine was a chore tractor, so lots of lower rpm work, so many more real hours on it.

an air-cooled in-line 6

the harder it worked, the cooler it ran

a beautiful, smooth running, torquey, quiet engine

one of the nicest running engines I've ever had which was in a tractor that drove like a good car

however, the drivetrains were known to be a little weak, so you couldn't be rammy

I wish they still made those models. I would love a brand-new or very low hour one.

it was common to see well over 20,000 hours on those engines in a stationary application.

Bought a well used trojan loader with a 5 cyl duetz that was running on four. Showed 32k hrs on meter? Tore apart top end and 1 piston was complete junk ring lands eroded and missing large chunks of rings. Other 3 cylinders were scored and wore out. Had 1 good piston /cylinder that had been renewed a year before. Got a quote from an outfit in MA for necessary parts to rebuild top end at around $1500. Found a used 4 cyl duetz for short money and transplanted top end...man that engine ran good, fast starts smooth idle good power and real easy on fuel. Sold the machine and miss it! I would buy another.

Back