Diagnosing heart rot in tulip poplars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt.jans

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there. New to tree ownership and care, but we just had 3 big (60-80 feet) tulip poplars taken down. Two (one split trunk, actually) was a known gonner, so I wasn't too surprised to see the rot in the trunks. The others looked fine and heathly, but had rot, too. See pics.

Now we're worried that we have others with rot that we don't know about.

Questions for you.

1) Other than conchs (don't want to wait that long) are there good ways to diagnose rot without taking the tree down. On the noninvasive end, I read about a tool that tests to see if a trunk is hollow. On the invasive, I read about core sampling. Hard time finding good resources for a newby, pro/con comparisons, etc.

2) Arborist said it might be partly due to our wet ground. Does that make any sense? Our yard slopes down toward a stream, and these were in the lower part. It's definitely less dry than the upper yard, but not muddy.

Thanks! This forum has been great for us, and learning about trees so we can do more of our own care.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Forgot to add pics. See below.
707bd3da44299be9ad07758ba4f298cf.jpg
9363b4e239f1b340bacfb284b6d8c54e.jpg
db270fc9ca21392f830af3da5baab9a7.jpg
1080580525dceb7ec94285ef8a6e4640.jpg

I cant explain it, but I can tell by just looking at the bark that those trees were going to cut bad. Theres lots of things about working in the woods, cutting timber, etc.... that I cant expain, experience teaches those things, nothing else.

Hi there. New to tree ownership and care, but we just had 3 big (60-80 feet) tulip poplars taken down. Two (one split trunk, actually) was a known gonner, so I wasn't too surprised to see the rot in the trunks. The others looked fine and heathly, but had rot, too. See pics.

Now we're worried that we have others with rot that we don't know about.

Questions for you.

1) Other than conchs (don't want to wait that long) are there good ways to diagnose rot without taking the tree down. On the noninvasive end, I read about a tool that tests to see if a trunk is hollow. On the invasive, I read about core sampling. Hard time finding good resources for a newby, pro/con comparisons, etc.

2) Arborist said it might be partly due to our wet ground. Does that make any sense? Our yard slopes down toward a stream, and these were in the lower part. It's definitely less dry than the upper yard, but not muddy.

Thanks! This forum has been great for us, and learning about trees so we can do more of our own care.

I think a lot of heart rotted poplars grew from stumps of previous cuttings. Local logger bangs them with a pipe to detect rot.

Latest posts

Back