Diagnosis Time 034AV Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
So I recently picked up an 034 super, when I got it, it was extremely dirty, and needed a fuel line, It didnt have one at all. It also didnt have any flocking on the air filter.

So I replaced the filter, fuel line and fuel filter, cleaned the carb, and replaced the plug. After that, it ran great. And ran great for several uses on several different days.

Well a few days ago, I went out and was bored so I decided to start a few of my saws to keep them running and let fuel flow through the carb. I grabbed the 034 and could not get it to start. No matter how many pulls, it would not pop. Put a little fuel in the carb directly and it ran great, and it will continue to run great until I turn it off for the day. In between shutoffs make no difference it will start on the first pull.

I figured the carb was probably dirty, so I rebuilt it. It made no difference. It still refuses to start cold, but once you get it to fire the first time, it will run great until cold again.

My first thought was the impulse line, and I will still investigate it, but does it make sense that it will start fine after the first time just not the cold start?

The choke is also operating properly and closing fully.

Fuel line is new. Plug is new and gets great spark.

Any ideas?

Check the air filter choke. If I remember right they have a little flapper on some that will not close off and pull the fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 028 with the flapper choke that I bought a am filter for. The switch feels like it’s working the choke but it actually doesn’t it barely touches the tab on the air filter. You can pull on that fcuker all day won’t start. Take the air filter off and hold your thumb over the carb it will start second pull. Once warm starts perfect.

Sounds like it won't 'self prime' when cold. Could something have been overlooked in the carb?
Does a 034AV Super have a primer? Never had one.

I have a 028 with the flapper choke that I bought a am filter for. The switch feels like it’s working the choke but it actually doesn’t it barely touches the tab on the air filter. You can pull on that fcuker all day won’t start. Take the air filter off and hold your thumb over the carb it will start second pull. Once warm starts perfect.
In the morning I will try starting it without the filter to see if the choke is working. If it isn't, I will try what you mentioned. I know without the filter, the choke was moving like it should, but maybe it stops when the filter is on, or maybe the linkage has gotten screwed up somehow since I put it back together.

Sounds like it won't 'self prime' when cold. Could something have been overlooked in the carb?
Does a 034AV Super have a primer? Never had one.
I believe you are right about priming itself. After rebuilding the carb, and several attempts, I took the carb back apart to see if I missed something, and it was none dry like it wasnt sucking fuel at all. But I would think that now that the carb is full of fuel after running, it wouldn't have that issue any more. I cant begin to tell you how great this saw runs once it starts, it's just the first startup for some reason.

Oh and no primer bulb.

The little metal choke rod might not be engaging the choke. Sometimes it needs to be bent a bit, or the something is not line up correctly in the carb, control rod, choke area.

There is no primer. Just a choke butterfly that has to close enough to function, hence the little metal rod.

RE: it cools down won't start, starts fine warmed up but not worth a damn when it's been sitting a day. Not sure it's the temp thing or that when it's cold, it has been sitting for a long time. Is it draining the carb? What about an air leak in the cylinder, case etc to cause the carb to leak out?

In the morning I will try starting it without the filter to see if the choke is working. If it isn't, I will try what you mentioned. I know without the filter, the choke was moving like it should, but maybe it stops when the filter is on, or maybe the linkage has gotten screwed up somehow since I put it back together.
I thought it was a air filter with the choke in it. Could still be a choke issue though.

Well I went out and pulled the muffler and gave it a pull, from cold, it started on the first freaking pull! Checked the choke and it seemed to be functioning fine. Put filter back on it, and it still seemed to be working correctly.

I will let it sit again for a few days without the heat on in the garage and see if it starts easy when cold.

Hopefully it's good to go.

Your symptoms also remind me of a fast idle that is not engaging. Check that visually. One time I had to bend the throttle rod a tad in order for the fast idle to remain kicked in. When moving from the choke to fast idle position, the carb was dropping into slow idle. Without a fast idle, the saw will laugh at you when cold starting it. That's true of many saws.

I once had an 034 that was in pieces. I rebuilt the saw and converted it to an 036:
Stihl 034--036.jpg
It's now one of my favorites.

The '036' has a very nice display bench as well I see.
The blink & it's past fast idle is an issue I have with a Mac 3516. The bumps/stops on the slide bar for the choke are worn to SFA. Different machine, similar issue.

Back