Did I buy the Wrong size file or is Google Wrong?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you can see in the pictures Google says my 325 pitch chain takes a 5/32 file. The extra chain I bought for the saw and the stihl 2 in 1 file I bought says other wise. They say the 325 pitch takes a 4.8mm file which is a 3/16 file. The 2 in 1 file itself is marked 325 pitch 4.8mm file. Google says 325 pitch takes a 5/32 4.0mm file and a 3/8 pitch chain takes my 3/16 file. So which is correct google or did i totally buy the wrong size chain and file for my saw which I'm pretty sure what i bought is correct.

Lesson learned my friend,

Ask us if you have ANY questions before buying things. This group of people is EXTREMELY helpful and knowledgeable. Don’t hesitate.

So next time if your not sure or even if you are but want opinions we will all help out sir.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Ok thank you. Much appreciated. I thought I was right and hoping I didnt mess up somehow because, i would have just wasted $75 and also ruined my other chain that came with my saw that i had already filed one whole side of teeth on

Lesson learned my friend,

Ask us if you have ANY questions before buying things. This group of people is EXTREMELY helpful and knowledgeable. Don’t hesitate.

So next time if your not sure or even if you are but want opinions we will all help out sir.

Yes I definitely will for sure from now on because the kid that was the salesman at farm and home the day I bought the file and chain didnt even know the difference in the sizes of chains or anything about them I had to find everything myself and teach him about the pitch gauge and link count while I was doing my shopping. Pretty bad when the salesman knows nothing about what he is in charge of saling. Which i am totally new to this chainsaw stuff. Just purchased my first saw 3 weeks ago. But with in that time i knew more than he did and he is the one who's paid to help the customers lol.

This is off topic but I've been watching videos on woodsporting a chainsaw. Everyone a I hear from tells me I should post my muffler but I know doing that will completely void my 2 year warranty if anything happens to my saw before February 2021. So do you believe it is worth it to cut the slits in the muffler to get a little more hp and to let it run cooler and breath better. Or keep it the way it is so my warranty ain't ruined?

This is off topic but I've been watching videos on woodsporting a chainsaw. Everyone a I hear from tells me I should post my muffler but I know doing that will completely void my 2 year warranty if anything happens to my saw before February 2021. So do you believe it is worth it to cut the slits in the muffler to get a little more hp and to let it run cooler and breath better. Or keep it the way it is so my warranty ain't ruined?

It's a brand new ms 261 c-m not that that matters but gives you a idea if it's worth porting if I'm only cutting firewood from here on out. Since I have cut down the trees already that I bought the saw specifically for. Now it's just firewood for the remainder of its life.

Yes I definitely will for sure from now on because the kid that was the salesman at farm and home the day I bought the file and chain didnt even know the difference in the sizes of chains or anything about them I had to find everything myself and teach him about the pitch gauge and link count while I was doing my shopping. Pretty bad when the salesman knows nothing about what he is in charge of saling. Which i am totally new to this chainsaw stuff. Just purchased my first saw 3 weeks ago. But with in that time i knew more than he did and he is the one who's paid to help the customers lol.

Must have purchased from Lowes, Home Depot kind of store? Could have been a “dealer” too. Iv walked in and RIGHT back out of dealers like that.

Either way, good lick to you in your new chainsaw adventures sir. Be safe and have fun.

What did you get by the way? Pictures ?[emoji16]

Must have purchased from Lowes, Home Depot kind of store? Could have been a “dealer” too. Iv walked in and RIGHT back out of dealers like that.

Either way, good lick to you in your new chainsaw adventures sir. Be safe and have fun.

What did you get by the way? Pictures ?[emoji16]

I bought the file and new chain in the pics above from Farm and Home which is a convenient store for outdoors/ farm/ cowboy type supplies. It's kinda like a home depot/ Lowe's store just has more varieties of stuff like clothes and pet food and stuff also. Where home depot is more tools style store. I bought my saw last month from ACE Hardware in STL MO. They lacked just about as much knowledge as Farm and Home salesman did. Kid didnt even know the difference between the Full Synthetic ultra grey bottle oil I bought and the Regular orange bottle oil. Duhhh!!!

I bought the file and new chain in the pics above from Farm and Home which is a convenient store for outdoors/ farm/ cowboy type supplies. It's kinda like a home depot/ Lowe's store just has more varieties of stuff like clothes and pet food and stuff also. Where home depot is more tools style store. I bought my saw last month from ACE Hardware in STL MO. They lacked just about as much knowledge as Farm and Home salesman did. Kid didnt even know the difference between the Full Synthetic ultra grey bottle oil I bought and the Regular orange bottle oil. Duhhh!!! This is my MS 261 C-M I bought from ACE.
20191213_174935.jpg

I bought the file and new chain in the pics above from Farm and Home which is a convenient store for outdoors/ farm/ cowboy type supplies. It's kinda like a home depot/ Lowe's store just has more varieties of stuff like clothes and pet food and stuff also. Where home depot is more tools style store. I bought my saw last month from ACE Hardware in STL MO. They lacked just about as much knowledge as Farm and Home salesman did. Kid didnt even know the difference between the Full Synthetic ultra grey bottle oil I bought and the Regular orange bottle oil. Duhhh!!!
So the grey bottle is better???

As you can see in the pictures Google says my 325 pitch chain takes a 5/32 file.

Somewhere out there in the interwebs, somebody is wrong about practically any topic you can imagine.

In this case, Google cheerfully serves up that piece of misinformation as a "Featured Snippet" in response to certain searches.

Scroll past the "Featured Snippet", and there's plenty of good information just a click or two away.

So the grey bottle is better???

Everyone is gonna have their preference on what they like to run over the other just like in octane of gas. Some only like to buy the premixed stuff with 93 octane and no ethanol. My saw runs fine with 91 octane from the station gas pump mixed with my hp ultra oil. Although I just found a station close to home that has 93 octane as well so I think I'm gonna start getting that instead of the 91. It's only 5 miles further drive. But I prefer full Synthetic over anything that's just my preference. Less carbon build up. Just like my vehicles I run Full Synthetic oil in all 3 of my cars. Cost much more yes but I do my own oil change so it ain't that much difference plus I get a special lower price through my work for it. Full Synthetic helps engine massively in the long run compared to your everyday lower oils. But yes I myself prefer grey over orange but I've never ran the orange so better I wouldn't say that but as far as I've heard it has far less carbon build up than the orange bottle. So I'll stick with my old grey.

I’ve cut up every new saw I’ve ever purchased before it even saw fuel, save for one. It’s your call. Warranties have never concerned me but they might matter to you. The saws I cut up are all still running strong with up to fifteen years of use on them now.

I’ve cut up every new saw I’ve ever purchased before it even saw fuel, save for one. It’s your call. Warranties have never concerned me but they might matter to you. The saws I cut up are all still running strong with up to fifteen years of use on them now.

Alright that's all I needed to hear. After work this B***h is going under the knife for a little face lift. F*** YOUR WARRANTY.

Back