Did I make a big mistake by accepting freshly cut ash (in Maryland specifically)?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt.jans

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi folks! Homeowner here and big tree fan. I know enough about trees from growing up in the Manistee National Forrest (in MI), my IWLAR membership, and just being into them to know how big of a problem the emerald ash borer is. However *deep breath*, I did a face palm recently after accepting some free logs from an area arborist. It was through one of those free logs and wood chips programs. Great service, but I'm wondering if I should've thought twice about the ash. There's tell-tale signs of EAB just under the bark. The guy I got it through said, basically, "Well, it's everywhere anyway...let's enjoy the wood!" He may be right, but I'm looking for a second or third opinion.

Questions:

1) Is there anywhere in MD that doesn't already have it? Obviously my big fear is that it's not in my neighborhood or property. As a scientist, I realize we may not have systematic data on this, so looking for experiences in addition to any good sources/maps on spread from USDA, MD DNR, etc. I'd hate to be the guy who just created a new pocket. I normally am emphatic about not moving firewood, etc.

2) Since it's clearly been in the logs, is there any way to check for live bugs? Just peeling back bark? Any way to draw them out? Or better to let the chew on the downed logs and be happy (i.e., not look for live trees)?

3) Anything I should be doing with this, other than burning it as fast as possible? And possibly close to the drop point.

4) Anything I should be checking in my own trees? We just moved to this property. It's about an acre and mostly wooded. I think we have some ash, but haven't looked closely yet. Went from a yard with 4 trees to probably 100 or more and half old growth. Very exciting! More responsibility, tho.

5) Related to #4, anything I can be doing to protect my and my neighbors trees (other than not accepting any more ash of course). Any treatments you recommend to help keep EAB from spreading to my trees if I don't have it? If they tend to live in and just under the bark, does it make sense to de-bark everything first and burn that? Just thinking out load. New tree owner here.

Thanks so much for the perspective, and any info and tips!

Welcome to AS @matt.jans. More than likely your ash trees have EAB. Look for the telltale D shaped holes in the bark. LOOK at the wood you just got for comparison. There are some systemic insecticides that are used for prevention. Not sure off the top of my head what they are. I've cut tons of dead ash and have yet to see a live beetle. @ATH may have better input.

If the logs are fresh then there are probably larva/pupa in them that will emerge as adults in May/June. If the arborist didn't travel too far to deliver the logs it won't increase the spread. You probably already have EAB in your area anyway. No way to treat the firewood logs but there are treatments for live trees. Treatments are needed every year or every other year depending on the type of treatment. They are a little pricey and would need to be continually done until you no longer want the tree. It is NOT a treat it once and the tree is good forever type of scenario.

1) Is there anywhere in MD that doesn't already have it?
You might call DNR to ask. But by the maps I see, it looks pretty widespread. I've been telling people for 10+ years "if the map shows EAB is within 50 miles of you, it is on you". It is not easy to detect as it starts in the tops of trees and takes a few years to build enough population to really show up. It is certainly good to be aware and figure out how to destroy these logs if it is not being reported in your area.
2) Since it's clearly been in the logs, is there any way to check for live bugs? Just peeling back bark? Any way to draw them out? Or better to let the chew on the downed logs and be happy (i.e., not look for live trees)?
Yes....just peel back bark. If the bark is falling off very easily, the tree was probably completely dead and the larvae cannot complete their lifecycle without live cambium to feed on. If the bark is still tight and there is some green bark, they can still emerge as adults even from cut up wood. The adults will not be happy with these logs when the emerge so leaving them be is not a good option if you trying to prevent spread from the logs. (but see #1...may be there before your logs were?)
3) Anything I should be doing with this, other than burning it as fast as possible? And possibly close to the drop point.
Burn, chip, or transport to an already infested area before early April which is when the adults will emerge. They won't spread until then.
4) Anything I should be checking in my own trees? We just moved to this property. It's about an acre and mostly wooded. I think we have some ash, but haven't looked closely yet. Went from a yard with 4 trees to probably 100 or more and half old growth. Very exciting! More responsibility, tho.
Certainly figure out if you have ash that are "worth" saving. Then figure out what kind of condition they are in. If the top half is already dead, don't waste your time.
5) Related to #4, anything I can be doing to protect my and my neighbors trees (other than not accepting any more ash of course). Any treatments you recommend to help keep EAB from spreading to my trees if I don't have it? If they tend to live in and just under the bark, does it make sense to de-bark everything first and burn that? Just thinking out load. New tree owner here.

Thanks so much for the perspective, and any info and tips!
You can treat your own trees with imidacloprid soil drenches. tree-age is more effective, but not something you can apply yourself. No need to debark before burning. Just burn before adult emergence. For lumber, the rule here when we were fighting it was the bark +1" needed to be slabbed off for it to be considered "clean". Kiln drying would also work.

Thanks for the great response @ATH! I just started contacting arborist in my area for health check on my trees. I welcome any referrals (including self) north of Baltimore, MD.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Talked to my mom yesterday. They're had EAB on their property, and she's very involved in her garden club (read: knowledgeable). She says EAB only hits a tree one. So if i have logs from a tree that had EAB last year (clear d-shaped holes and under-bark pathways), it seems like the EAB exited last year and isn't still in the bark. What do you think?

No....they will re-infest as long as the tree is alive. They won't infest once the tree is dead.

Quick life cycle:
Adults emerge +/- May
They feed on leaves, mate and lay eggs +/- July
Eggs hatch and larvae bore in and feed on cambium +/- Aug - Oct
Overwintering...inactive/partially active larvae
Pupate +/- March-April

So if your wood came from a tree that was alive in July and there was enough living cambium left for larvae to feed up until October, adults may still emerge. However, if there wasn't enough living cambium for them to eat then pupate, even if there were eggs laid and hatched last summer you won't have any adults emerging.

That's really helpful, thanks! Tree was just downed last week. So sounds like I'm safe. Thanks!

Hang on... Maybe not if they live in it over the winter. Thanks for clarifying. I'm getting an arborist to come out and look at our trees so I'll be sure to ask them, too. We have a few with bark that doesn't look too healthy, but no EAB sign on the live trees. Rescued one from a stranger vine the other day.

Back