Did my Neighbor Just Kill my 50' pine Tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Beckwith

Reaction score
Today I allowed my neighbor to have a tree trimmer trim my tree on his side of the property. When I came home today I saw that one full side of my tree was cut clean to the trunk. All big branches are gone. The tree trunk on that side is now exposed to the elements, and will be for a very long time. The other half is luscious with growth, but it is on a side which does not get direct sunlight except in the winter.
My neighbor has a landscaping company but is not an arborist. I trusted him to "trim" the tree but not to butcher it.
Anyways, I attached the best picts I could for now, taken from my fence line. I still need to take a picture from my neighbors side which will show the full extent of what was done. But for now, the entire southern half of the tree has no branches save for one big stub and possibly another way at the top.
I would really appreciate your input and opinion about the projected life of this tree. I'm in a fair weather city, near the coast. It is 60-80 degrees year around.

Attachments

• 20200328_140919.jpg
    20200328_140919.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 90
  • 20200328_140921.jpg
    20200328_140921.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 90
  • 20200328_140945.jpg
    20200328_140945.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 85
Looks like the spiked it. A quality tree trimmer will not use spikes on a tree that is being pruned. That stub is also a bad look.

Over all, it is not good, but plenty of trees just like that live for a long time. The biggest concern is where is the wind coming from? The problem with one-sided trees is if the wind causes them to twist, that is applying force in a way the tree is least able to handle it. They can take bending pretty well...but twisting is rough on them.

Without seeing the tree, could the branches have been shortened without making topping cuts? Often on pines that is difficult. The best cuts to make may have been back to the trunk??? Any before pics?

I wouldn’t be surprised if he did that on purpose, knowing that the likely short/medium term outcome will be that the tree will have to come down. I have seen this happen a few times and a defence of ignorance has each time been enough to avoid any liability. Not very neighbourly and you are doing well not to lose your rag...assuming that you haven’t

Maybe I’m just a pessimist tho

Thank you all for your replies.This has been very helpful.

I am now curious how long it will take for the first tiny little branch to form (from nothing apparently) and sprout a few pine needles? Anyone care to take a guess? Will it ever happen?

Potential clients don't often care for my response when I'm asked to trim a tree like that.

You may as well just overlook the bad trim job. It's not worth making enemies with your neighbor over it.

After all, you did give your permission.
As much as I think del is wrong about his religion, he is right about this deal with the neighbor!
;)
N

looks way out of balance to me , wait till the ground gets saturated and the wind starts blowing with storms , evidently you have a Lott of faith in that tap root

Thank you all for your replies.This has been very helpful.

I am now curious how long it will take for the first tiny little branch to form (from nothing apparently) and sprout a few pine needles? Anyone care to take a guess? Will it ever happen?
No new branch will form, sorry but your tree is screwed.
Jeff

Back