did my rv kill our pepper tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twobigcats

Reaction score
short version:
we have a big pepper tree on the fence line with our next door neighbor. our driveway is dirt and three years ago we bought a 27,000 lb diesel rv and park it in close proximity to the pepper tree.

the tree has stopping leafing ~1/3 way up - it looks like a Tim Burton tree - and to us it seems the pepper tree is very.suddenly.dying :-(

how likely is it our rv’s weight has caused this death / damage?

(fwiw, the tree is likely 60-70 years old.)

my version:
we live in an older silicon valley neighborhood that used to be a farm. our home was built in ‘47, refreshed and expanded over the years; our street has no sidewalks and many of our homes still have dirt driveways.

our dirt driveway runs parallel to our neighbor’s paved driveway, with a fence running down our property line. on their side of the fence is an ~10’ wide dirt strip with drought-resistant plants.

ON our fence line sits a big california pepper tree with ~ 50% of the trunk on their side, 50% on ours.

three years ago we bought a 27,000 lb diesel that i park in our dirt driveway. i’m able to back it in so that its major weight area (engine) is 30’ away from the trunk, but there is still 27k lbs on the dirt driveway (and roots?). the coach leaks no fluids.

the tree has stopping leafing ~1/3 way up - it looks like a Tim Burton tree - and to us it seems the pepper tree is very.suddenly.dying :-(

how likely is it our rv’s weight has caused this death / damage?

(fwiw, the tree is likely 60-70 years old. about 10 years ago during an excessive heat spell a massive - and seemingly healthy - limb on our side suddenly broke off and crushed the roof of the prius parked under it.)

based on what i’ve indicated above, how likely is it our rv’s weight has caused this death / damage? my thinking is we’ll need to have an arborist evaluate the circumstances / tree and make go-forward recommendations.

thx in advance for any / all experience-based feedback.

Latest posts

Back