Didier splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Specter for your great info.
Did you ever rebuild your piston assembly? My front seal is leaking, even when system is not running. Makes a heck of a mess. Just wondering how many seals are in that front cap assembly.

View attachment 175891View attachment 175892Mark your best bet will be to take the cylinder apart and take the whole cylinder = cylinder + end cap + piston rod to a hydraulic cylinder shop that services cylinders!! Take whatever info you can get off of the log splitter as well. Rochester Cylinder Services had work on that type of cylinder before! They did all the measurements to ensure that I got the right o rings and seals as well as the retaining ring. They gave the cylinder an inspection! They said all was OK and even told me how to rebuilt it myself.

Once you have the o rings, seals and clip the job of rebuilding is easyView attachment 175891View attachment 175892

Wow!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!! Shari He sure did a nice job on your log splitter. At least now that saves your back from bending over with logs all the time.

h20togo:

Welcome to the "Didier Family" here on AS!

Shari

Hello Shari. I was searching the web to find information on my John Deer log splitter, vintage early 70's, and came across this wonderful and informative forum. I have the Deer manual that came with the machine, but would love to have a copy of the Didier information that is available. If possible, would you be able to email me a copy of what is available for these units. I am in the process of rebuilding this unit. I bought it used about 12 years ago, and have split about 35 cord of wood over that time. It is certainly a workhorse, but this old horse needs some attention.

Thanks, Jim

Hey Jim - Welcome to AS!

PM (private message) me your email address and I will send you the .pdf files as I haven't figured out how or if a .pdf file can be posted here. (How to PM: Left click on my name in the upper left of this message, click on 'private message', and a new window will open. Fill out your message and click on 'submit message'.)

Be sure to check out this new thread also: http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/168359.htm which shows how Triptester, a member here on AS, modified my Didier just this week.

We have a full day of splitting planned for today so I (hopefully) will be adding pictures/videos of my new, "grown up" 1970's Didier in action.

Shari

Wow, am I glad I found this thread...

I inherited a Didier model 26 that my father bought new in 1979 when I was 2 years old. I now process a truckload of treelength every year, around 9-10 cords, with it and it just keeps on ticking.

I had the cylinder redone two years ago. It has the original B&S engine that has been rebuilt twice but is getting tired. I'm planning a similar rebuild as you Shari this coming winter. I plan to put a new engine on (I'm a Honda fan so probably a GX160), a larger hydraulic tank, an inline filter, and a new Cross valve handle kit that I found on TSC's website last night for $35.

The final project was to jack it up 15-18" somehow. Thanks for the inspiration and I'll be posting pictures when it comes time to get to work!

Here's a picture of my youngest son and wife with a large round of Beech and the old girl (splitter, not wife :msp_biggrin:) doing what it does best!View attachment 183999

Wow, am I glad I found this thread...

I inherited a Didier model 26 that my father bought new in 1979 when I was 2 years old. I now process a truckload of treelength every year, around 9-10 cords, with it and it just keeps on ticking.

I had the cylinder redone two years ago. It has the original B&S engine that has been rebuilt twice but is getting tired. I'm planning a similar rebuild as you Shari this coming winter. I plan to put a new engine on (I'm a Honda fan so probably a GX160), a larger hydraulic tank, an inline filter, and a new Cross valve handle kit that I found on TSC's website last night for $35.

The final project was to jack it up 15-18" somehow. Thanks for the inspiration and I'll be posting pictures when it comes time to get to work!

Here's a picture of my youngest son and wife with a large round of Beech and the old girl (splitter, not wife :msp_biggrin:) doing what it does best!View attachment 183999

Sorry - I missed your post until now. Lifting it up like that does help but I would stress watch out as the foot end might move on you when under a lot of stress - I had that happen a couple of times and you really don't want any body parts under the splitter if/when she moves. :)

Shari

Last edited:
My new version of our trusty Didier.

I see you switched around the wedge & foot plate. How's that working for you? I've kept mine with the push plate on the ram and run it so long like that I guess I'm just used to it that way. If a split pops the split flies away from me (normally towards my helper :) ).

Shari

Shari,

We used the Didier in "factory form" for almost 20 years. Then I decided to raise the beam to help eliminate all the bending over. When my wife and I also started burning wood at our home, I decided to buy another splitter (the Didier technically belongs to my dad). It's a Huskee with the wedge on ram. I quickly began to favor the wedge on ram set-up. I am often a one-man operation during splitting and I prefer to have the wood stay still. That way I'm not constantly dragging the log back to re-split.

You asked about the table in front of the engine - I put that on there when I raised the beam. It's a "work table" that can go on either side of the beam. When I am splitting solo, I split the log in half, set one half on the table and process the other one, then reach back and grab the other half from the table and process it. That way I don't have to keep setting things on the ground or picking them up. It's all right there at waist height.

just got me a didier

I just bought a Didier splitter. Model #HASA19M. Fate is weird. I missed out on a local dider splitter on ebay on Sunday. This one popped up on CL and my brother told me about it, I bought it that night. I haven't used it yet but the cycle time is painfully slow. Much slower than the one on ebay that I looked at. I am hoping to find out how to speed up the cycle time. I use a timerwolf tw-6 at work, but that's like comparing apples to oranges. I am gonna change out the hydraulic fluid and change the engine oil. I have to try and get the engine running smoother or maybe just replace it with a new engine. I am hoping that maybe there is a filter that is dirty that is blocking the fluid flow that once cleaned will speed up the cycle time.

I just bought a Didier splitter. Model #HASA19M. Fate is weird. I missed out on a local dider splitter on ebay on Sunday. This one popped up on CL and my brother told me about it, I bought it that night. I haven't used it yet but the cycle time is painfully slow. Much slower than the one on ebay that I looked at. I am hoping to find out how to speed up the cycle time. I use a timerwolf tw-6 at work, but that's like comparing apples to oranges. I am gonna change out the hydraulic fluid and change the engine oil. I have to try and get the engine running smoother or maybe just replace it with a new engine. I am hoping that maybe there is a filter that is dirty that is blocking the fluid flow that once cleaned will speed up the cycle time.

Looks like a nice splitter. Enjoy.

Hi
I am new here. I googled Didier splitter model MF26 and came across this thread. I thought one of you might be able to help me. Does any one have a manual for this splitter? Right now I'm trying to identify a part that needs replacing. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated!

I don't have a manual but if the part is hydraulic in nature the component usually can be replace with a stock off the shelf product. If you can post a pic of the suspect component someone can direct you to a replacement part.

Back