Didier Wood Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heith Parker

Reaction score
I recently purchased an old wood splitter that I believe is a Didier. It has a Cross brand control valve. I found a spring broke that holds a ball in place. I think I can get a replacement spring but don't know which one to get as they come in three different PSI strengths. (750-1250, 1250-1750 and 1750-2250)The splitter has a 5hp briggs and Stratton motor and the hydraulic cylinder says Sears. The motor runs great and will split small pieces, but shaft just stops if wood is big or has knots in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heith

What spring is it? Where is it located? If it is the spring that returns the spool to center you may be able to go to a hardware store and find one that matches the wire size, diameter, and length of the broke spring.

What spring is it? Where is it located? If it is the spring that returns the spool to center you may be able to go to a hardware store and find one that matches the wire size, diameter, and length of the broke spring.
This is the pressure relief spring part number CR1A0684. It is located by the handle and keeps the steel ball in place. Cross Mfg will only sell to a distributor and require a minimum order of $25 plus shipping. This is a $5 spring that they have in stock.

Back