did'ja ever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parts can go mia sometimes I learned to use zip loc bags when I take things apart there life savers. Now where’s that zip loc bag.? Hmmm. I put the whole saw in parts in a box too.

If you don’t follow this lead your parts will go mia.

I bag the;

Cylinder/old piston with screws
Carb with manifolds, assembly
Oil pump complete with screws
Ignition with flywheel and fasteners
Case screws
Muffler with screws
Handle screws
Top plastic

Allin one box ready for cleaning, inspection and assemble.

From my experience in repairing equipment when a part wears out I order two. One replacement, one for the shelf. I just ordered 4 gasket sets for one model chainsaw plus four pistons. I have three non running saws. I don’t skimp on doing repairs it’s right or I do nothing. Time is money.

Parts can go mia sometimes I learned to use zip loc bags when I take things apart there life savers. Now where’s that zip loc bag.? Hmmm. I put the whole saw in a box too.

Another idea I use at times (circlips?) is to disassemble/assemble under a flimsy dry cleaning bag. I find ziplock bags too small more often than not, and the dry cleaning bag is easier to see through (for me anyway)

On the "where'd it go?" front - I just today found a valve spring from a B&S lawnmower engine that I dropped two summers ago. I thought workbench gremlins had eaten it.

I use all sizes in zip lock bags. It’s easier to put the smaller bags into a larger one so there all together in the box.

I have multiple saws apart at onetime in boxes. I jump around as the parts show up.

It was like looking for the channel changer or eye glasses before the bags.

What's bad also is working on a unusual gun that you have no schematic for, start taking it apart, then have some part fly off, no idea what it was or or the exact place where it came off. Then it's looking for anything you can find, looking at wear marks, trying to put a puzzle together that you have no idea if all the pieces are there. That can be tuff!!!

Back