• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

difference between chain saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What he means to say is if you are going to get a backup saw for your backup saw, it might also be prudent to line up a backup wife. And perhaps a backup for her, as they can be kind of easy to go through once you start following our advice.

Sometimes that's not a bad idea either. That's a whole new topic though!

Hey unclemoustache, not everyone has the disease. I only have one but am considering two. I do have a nice felling wedge in case something gets stuck and I could get another chain and bar in case I needed to free a saw that I could not get with my wedge. Even a smaller or larger bar with a new chain would be far cheaper than another saw. Just sayin.

I was a one small homeowner saw until oct 25, 2010...when the tornado hit us and smashed around three ton of oak into the cabin.

I was seriously outgunned.....

I like to have at least 2 saws in the truck when I go to cut wood. Nothing better to unpinch a saw than another saw IMO. Also a larger saw along with a light weight limbing saw makes a good combo. You already have the limbing saw so I would be looking for something with more power for a second saw. I'd stick to Stihl or Husky myself they are the best IMO.

I was looking for a bigger saw, was going to get a Echo 600 or 620, ended up with a used Stihl 440. Can put sooooo much more wood up than the old Homelites I was running. So much power and RPM.

My grandpa has been cutting firewood for ~30 years for his own use. He has been doing it all along with 35-40cc saws (poulans and macs recently), maybe a 50cc saw in there somewhere. I recently gave him one of my back up saws, a clean stihl ms250. He was amazed at the power difference. I gave him my 250 because i knew he'd use it and it was just sitting unused next to my ms460 (28") and husqvarna 562xp(20").I have been doing most of his cutting this year. I can't even talk him into running those to saws. He just smiles when I run them.

The point? You can do a lot with the small saws. It just takes more time. The more time in the cut, the more it is going to wear you out. Doesn't matter what saw you run. And cc's are misleading. A 50cc homeowner is going to take considerably longer in the cut then a 50cc pro saw.

Neighbor friend of mine kept up with a owb with just a Stihl 210. (for the last 12 years). I can't get over it, since like already mentioned I find it necessary to have 6 saws. He does call me however when he comes across a larger than normal tree and I bring out the big guns. lol

I started out 25 years ago with a used Craftsman or Homelite. I would pick up secondhand saws at thrift stores and yard sales. I didn't know what I didn't know. I saved up a few dollars due to some overtime and bought my first new saw. I bought the nicest one I could afford at the time, it was a Husqvarna 257. Things changed from that point on. I found a used 371XP at a pawn shop for cheap and ended up with a 24" bar to go with it. That is when I discovered what I didn't know. CAD set in from that point. Ebay entered the picture, Craigslist was discovered, and now I don't know how many saws I actually own, I am guessing between maybe 10 and 20 at the moment. I have bought and sold many more then that. I ended up topping out with my 395Xp and used it for almost everything. It sucks fuel, but cuts so much faster that I was able to cut more wood in the same amount of time. I had two teenage sons at the time that could and would load, unload , split and stack the wood. All I had to do was cut.

Fast forward to present day. Both of my older sons are away at collage. The 395XP feels even heavier than it ever has. I'm in my 50s and as much as I hate to admit it I can't do what I use to do. I kept the Husqvarna 257 all these years because of sentimental reasons and it is the only saw that I have ever paid retail price for. I use the 257 80% of the time now. I could make everything happen now days with a 455 or 460 Rancher. MS290 if you want to go the Stihl route.

I still like the three saw plan. If I am going to be cutting more than a few miles from home I will take the 257, 371, and the 395. I may never even fire up the bigger two saws, but the only thing I want to be limited by is how much wood I can fit on my truck and trailer. I would rather spend time cutting than trying to repair a saw in the field.

When I was a kid I also had to walk to school in the snow, barefoot, uphill both ways.

Do so e research like you're doing now and get the beast saw you can afford, in the long run it will pay off, less wear and tear on the body, more durable and and easier firewood cutting duties.

+1 on the 50-60cc saw, 18-20 in bar. Big enough to cut most wood, small enough to keep you from injuring your back with oversize rounds. No one has mentioned them, but I love my Redmax G5300. It's a Husqvarna for a little less in a pretty red case.

At the risk of sounding repetitive because I've already bragged on the saw in two other threads, have a look in the Trading Post for the Dolmar 5105 being sold by member Edge & Engine. I bought one of them from him and it's quickly become the favorite of my small saws. He has one up there right now that still has factory warranty through 8/16. Buy it and you'll get a "pro" grade saw for less money than you'd spend buying a comparable "farm" grade Stihl. Plus it's a half pound lighter than my ms271 and has half a horse power more. It really is a great saw.

The MS 180 is a great little saw. I recently did a muffler mod and it really rips through the wood. You might want to do this as well before picking up another saw. I am eyeing picking up an Echo CS-590 for bigger stuff. Hopefully my local dealer has another manufactur rep day this year with special pricing. I agree with whay others have said if you are going to get another saw go into the 50-60cc range.

Not a professional by any stretch of the imitation, only cut wood on nice weekend for firewood to heat 4 houses.

I also have a Stihl 180c, while I appreciate how light and very well it cuts small wood I wouldn't give up myMS261c for anything.

When working on an average size tree, for me, I probably use the 180 and the 261 50/50 time wise. But when it comes down to actually getting useful wood cut up the 261 sees a lot more work.

I think most saws have a purpose and as long as you use that saw within its limits you will be happy. With that said a 261 with an 18" bar works very well in 8" - 18" wood. Everything under 8" I knock out with my 180.

For wood bigger than that I leave for my cutting buddies with either a 441c or an 056 mag av II.

From the sounds of it a farm boss would be perfect for you. Forgive me if I missed it... How many cords are you going through a year?

IMHO, for firewood 50cc is the smallest practical size and that will handle almost anything within reason.

I have a real dislike for Stihl MS290's but that is a personal bias against large heavy and bulky saws that are way overpriced.

The best value for saws right now the Echo CS-590, (60cc) for under $400 and has a 5 year warranty.

IMHO, for firewood 50cc is the smallest practical size and that will handle almost anything within reason.

I have a real dislike for Stihl MS290's but that is a personal bias against large heavy and bulky saws that are way overpriced.

The best value for saws right now the Echo CS-590, (60cc) for under $400 and has a 5 year warranty.

For weight wise, my 440 is about .9 pounds heavier than the 290, and the Echo 590 is about .3 pounds heavier than the 290. Will take the extra power of the 440 for the little weight difference. I don't mind swinging it around.

For weight wise, my 440 is about .9 pounds heavier than the 290, and the Echo 590 is about .3 pounds heavier than the 290. Will take the extra power of the 440 for the little weight difference. I don't mind swinging it around.

Well you made my point, the MS440 is a very strong saw and light compared to the MS290. The Echo is very close to the MS290 in weight and is the next class up in displacement.

Latest posts

Back