Difference between MS440 and MS441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afblue

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been researching saws here for a while, and although a Stihl MS440 or 441 would be overkill for what I need, its worth knowing the difference. Does anyone know the inherate differences between the MS 440 and MS 441? What years was the 440 and is the 441 just an updated version. Did they change any internal parts, AV system? Or is it mostly EPA carb and muffler modifications?

:greenchainsaw:

I have been researching saws here for a while, and although a Stihl MS440 or 441 would be overkill for what I need, its worth knowing the difference. Does anyone know the inherate differences between the MS 440 and MS 441? What years was the 440 and is the 441 just an updated version. Did they change any internal parts, AV system? Or is it mostly EPA carb and muffler modifications?

:greenchainsaw:

They are completely different saws, nothing interchanges except the bar, chain, bar nuts, air filter (HD version), and some screws.

The 441 is the newer stratified version, its heavier but makes good power and used less fuel. The AV is all spring mounted on the 441 as opposed to the rubber av mounted 044.

Both awesome saws, make good power.

Ok so what you are saying is the 044 and MS440 magnum are the same saw then, but the MS441 Magnum is a different saw all together? It doesnt matter if the parts are not interchangeable, I just want to know if I see a MS 440 I can hold it to the same standards as a 441 or are they completely different, eventhough they both look exactly the same?

Ok so what you are saying is the 044 and MS440 magnum are the same saw then, but the MS441 Magnum is a different saw all together? It doesnt matter if the parts are not interchangeable, I just want to know if I see a MS 440 I can hold it to the same standards as a 441 or are they completely different, eventhough they both look exactly the same?

044 and MS440 are mostly the same. The 440 has flippy caps. The early 044 had a 10mm wrist pin piston and rod, and the cylinder was a little different, but interchangeable. There are a lot of subtle differences in the 044 and 440. The 441 is COMPLETELY different. Totally redesigned saw.

I guess what I am seeing is the MS440 and MS460 are closer in design than the 440 and 441? Besides cylinder size they look practically the same, and the muffler on the 440 and 460 and many other parts are interchangeable.

I guess what I am seeing is the MS440 and MS460 are closer in design than the 440 and 441? Besides cylinder size they look practically the same, and the muffler on the 440 and 460 and many other parts are interchangeable.

i want 460... i want a lot of saws...

There are a lot of differences, and similarities in the 460 and 440, too numerous to mention. Case is different, along with other things...

Latest posts

Back