Difference of Husqvarna 550XP / 550XP.v2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttercup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Greetings all and welcome to another one in the series of BC's useless threads.

I have discovered that it may be possible to get the 550xp at a discount these days which makes it considerable more affordable than the new 550XPv2.
Husqvarna is saying that the v2 is improved a lot and in every way but the only difference I can see is that the new v2 is slightly heavier and have gained some power.

I was wondering what the real differences are, anyone know anything about it? V1 still a good saw?

Greetings all and welcome to another one in the series of BC's useless threads.

I have discovered that it may be possible to get the 550xp at a discount these days which makes it considerable more affordable than the new 550XPv2.
Husqvarna is saying that the v2 is improved a lot and in every way but the only difference I can see is that the new v2 is slightly heavier and have gained some power.

I was wondering what the real differences are, anyone know anything about it? V1 still a good saw?

In addition to more weight, faster spool up and more power, V2 has a better air filter setup: it passes fewer fines through than v1. V2 also addresses a lot of the heat-soak related problems that plagued the v1 causing hot start issues with some of them.

V1 is still a good saw. It’s lighter, plenty strong, and has rev boost which is nice for limbing. Plus, it’ll save you a bunch of money over the latest and greatest.

In addition to more weight, faster spool up and more power, V2 has a better air filter setup: it passes fewer fines through than v1. V2 also addresses a lot of the heat-soak related problems that plagued the v1 causing hot start issues with some of them.

V1 is still a good saw. It’s lighter, plenty strong, and has rev boost which is nice for limbing. Plus, it’ll save you a bunch of money over the latest and greatest.

Thanks, that was some valuable info to me.
I did some searches and I see there have been some trouble.
Seems it boils down to the 545v2.

Thanks again

I've been running a old model 550xp for a year now and really like it. No issues at all.

That's good to hear, if I buy new I guess the 550 at a discount and the 545v2 would be similar in cost.
It does feel tempting to take my chances on the latest technology though.

I've been running a old model 550xp for a year now and really like it. No issues at all.

I’ve had a 550XP for over a year too, no issues here either. Manufacturers are used to a certain percent of failures/warranty returns. I don’t think all 550’s were bad, but I think the percentage of those that sold and had issues was higher than they wanted, hence the new design to address any criticisms on shortcomings of the v1. The problems that did surface early on also created a stigma against the 550XP v1 that it was just a badly designed saw. Before the redesign to the mark II, they actually updated parts and made several revisions to the V1 over the years to improve it. Compared to the later model V1s, I think the most notable improvement of the V2 is just the air filter, at the expense of the saw’s weight.

The case and bottom end is substantially beefed up. Heat management has been addressed, and hopefully QC. The issues continued even passed the updates. Not only was it a design based problem, but also QC during the assembly process, and poor quality parts. A well know builder wouldn't even touch them do to most of the saws being DOA. It also took Husqvarna way too long to correct these issues, some never were, which is why the saw was completely redesigned. The issues with the first generation 550 and the 562 showed up immediately. So far the reports on the new 550 have been positive, same with the 572xp.

The last of the 550's are probably fine, but I wouldn't but one made before 2017.

At the time being the discount 550 is actually a little cheaper than the 545v2, no idea when it's made but I would guess it's not a first generation at least.
We'll see how the situation is on Friday if my 12 months schedule payment goes through, if not I'll buy myself a bottle of my favorite Bulleit Frontier, shave my eyebrows and set my hair on fire.

I just bought a new 550 version 1 after a month's worth of debating whether to go with the old model or the new one. The price was a little better on the old model, but in the end I de ided I wanted the lighter more compact saw. I'm quite certain either of them will serve you well, just boils down to what suits your needs best imo.

At the time being the discount 550 is actually a little cheaper than the 545v2, no idea when it's made but I would guess it's not a first generation at least.
We'll see how the situation is on Friday if my 12 months schedule payment goes through, if not I'll buy myself a bottle of my favorite Bulleit Frontier, shave my eyebrows and set my hair on fire.
Nice choice of bourbon. My favorite!

BC, you're gonna need one of each, just how it is my friend.
:popcorn2:.

I had a 550xp v1 I bought it in 2016, used it with a 20 inch bar to help a friend take down a couple large elms. Also used it to cut 4-5 cords of firewood. I was amazed that a 50 cc saw could have that much power! It did have a hot start issue but it never failed to start, you just had to hold the throttle wide open and it would start.

Back