Differences between Stihl 046/MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
I tried some searching but didn't really find anything definitive. I have had a late model 066 and an MS660 and the two saws were almost identical.

My question is: Are there differences between the Stihl 046 and Stihl MS460? (I realize that one has flippy caps and one doesn't) or is it just a "name change"?

Is there any strategic advantage to acquire one over the other? (I don't have either)

Please do not derail the thread by suggesting I get a Husqvarna 372 or should just buy a Dolkita and put the big bore kit on it. I am not interested in those options and am just seeking an answer to the question stated.
Thanks.

The older 046 with the D shaped combustion chamber are better runners. There have been a few changes since the very first 046s on the case if I remember right. Jacob J can recite all of that but I'm not a walking encyclopedia of stihl:laugh:

look for word mahle on the base of the cylinder ,usually the D shaped combustion chamber ,yup the name plates ,caps ,the gas vents are improved on the ms saws ,as the webbing on the bottom of the handle is stronger on the ms versions ,my 460 i have an early mahle jug on ,it runs pretty good,the later 460 handlebars are a little bigger on the wrap models ,i like the feel of them over the early handlebars

Last edited:
Since its on the subject;

I've got a Very early 046 cylinder without the decomp valve, no "Mahle" on the base but does have the Stihl cast in as we'll as 1128. Any thoughts on this cylinder?

Since its on the subject;

I've got a Very early 046 cylinder without the decomp valve, no "Mahle" on the base but does have the Stihl cast in as we'll as 1128. Any thoughts on this cylinder?

is it 50 or 52mm bore ,sounds like an 044 jug if its 50 mm,never seen a 046 without a decomp

I picked up a MS460 a couple of weeks ago at the lowest price I have seen so far locally but still a little steep $350. Not exactly You Suck material but not to bad a deal.

20130601_164033_zps1885409d.jpg

The older 046 with the D shaped combustion chamber are better runners. There have been a few changes since the very first 046s on the case if I remember right. Jacob J can recite all of that but I'm not a walking encyclopedia of stihl:laugh:

How old does the 046 have to be to have the D shaped combustion chamber?

My MS-460 I just got - as a box of parts needing a new piston and a carb clean - cost me $50! There are pics of it on here already so proof is out there.

Back